Holy crapeth...ATV carnage in the media

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So young!

Alberta man found dead under ATV
By Ryan Cormier, edmontonjournal.comJuly 20, 2009
EDMONTON — Slave Lake RCMP are investigating after they found a dead man underneath his ATV early Saturday morning.

Around 2 a.m., emergency crews found the adult man under the vehicle in a ditch near Highway 2.

Christopher Zuberbier, of Wagner, was declared dead at the scene. Investigators believe he was killed in an accident hours earlier, although no witnesses have come forward.

Zuberbier was not wearing a helmet when he was found, said Staff Sgt. Mike Proctor. It is not yet known if alcohol was a factor.

Roughly three hours before Zuberbier’s body was found, police spotted a group of ATVs driving illegally on Highway 2 only a kilometre from the accident scene. When an officer tried to approach the group, they fled. RCMP did not pursue the group of four to five riders on ATVs.

Investigators are now trying to determine of Zuberbier was part of that earlier group.

Alberta man, 23, dies after crashing ATV into tree
By Brent Wittmeier, edmontonjournal.comJuly 11, 2009
EDMONTON — A 23-year old central Alberta man was killed early Saturday morning after crashing his ATV into a tree.

At about 8:30 a.m., a man passed two other quads on a remote road near Forestburg, nearly 200 kilometres southeast of Edmonton. The witnesses saw the man speed by at a high rate of speed before losing control of his vehicle and crashing into a group of trees. The driver was taken to hospital with massive head injuries where he was pronounced dead.

“He passed a couple of guys on other quads, looked behind him, and floated over into the east ditch,” said RCMP Cpl. Joe Sangster.

RCMP are currently investigating the accident and say the man was not wearing a helmet. Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the accident.

Man killed riding ATV
By Ben Gelinas, edmontonjournal.comMay 24, 2009
EDMONTON — A 21-year-old Debolt-area man was killed Saturday evening while riding an ATV near the Simonette River around 6:30 p.m.

The man was attempting to crest a hill when the ATV went airborne, throwing the rider off.

Campers in the area administered first aid until paramedics arrived, but the rider died of his injuries.

His name has not been released.

Sundre woman, 25, dies when ATV rolls over
News ServicesMay 5, 2009
CALGARY / An Alberta woman is dead after her all-terrain vehicle rolled over and landed on her early Sunday, police say.

The 25-year-old woman from Sundre, Alta., was driving her vehicle up a steep embankment in the Marble Mountain area after midnight when it tipped over, falling backwards and on top of her. An air ambulance was sent to the scene, but the woman died from her injuries, the RCMP said.

The woman's name has not been released.

ATV rider swept away by northern Alberta river
By Ben Gelinas, edmontonjournal.comMay 5, 2009
EDMONTON — A 23-year-old Grande Prairie man is missing after he was swept downstream while trying to cross the Wapiti River on a two-seater ATV on Monday evening, RCMP said Tuesday.

A 25-year-old woman riding in the passenger seat of the side-by-side sport recreational utility vehicle managed to swim to shore near the Riverview Pines subdivision, about 15 minutes southwest of Grande Prairie. Both occupants bailed after the current began to take control of the vehicle as they made their way into the river around 7:25 p.m..

“It appeared that it was going to roll,” Cpl. Carol McKinley said.

The Wapiti winds and can be fast-flowing in places. Its depth varies, McKinley said.

The woman was checked out in hospital and released. Searchers have found the vehicle, but the search for the man, identified as Jason Giesbrecht, continues.

Helicopters have flown nearly 10 kilometres overhead, while RCMP dogs scour the shores and boats check the water. Searchers want members of the general public to stay away from the scene, as they may interfere with the orchestrated search.

mattmedic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, sad to hear,but some of these events could have been prevented, with the use of helmets when are people going to start using helmets, and quit drinking and driving, I feel sorry for the families:(:(:(

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People have to start respecting these machines. They are making them bigger and with more power everyday, and then to ride without a helmet is just asking for trouble, especially someone who has never been on one before. And that's before you add alcohol into the equation. I feel sorry for the families and friends now too!!!

rounder

Reaction score
unfortuanatly the friends are the ones who should have taken the keys to the quads away. people have a false bullet proof feeling about drinking and driving. gotta respect these machines.

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is only Albertas stats....I believe there was 1 or 2 in BC already also...

All of a sudden Sledding is not so bad after all...wonder if those Quadders that mock us sledders are choking on their tongues yet...

And yes those friends and family that are the ones left morning the deceased should have taken keys away, riders should wear helmets and know their machines and personal abilities before tackling stuff...

May we all learn from this....wear helmets and ride safer!!

I am sure we all have families to come home to at the end of the day so how much is your thrill ride worth.....:(:(

Last edited:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I have said this before, brother -in-law flies STARS here and every week they go to at least 2 ATV accidents. (95%) are careless riding with alcohol involved , and no helmets. I asked him if he is ever wondering if he is going to a call that might involve us(my family) and he says no because he knows how we ride and what these calls involve. It is this mentallity(of the young careless men) who think they are indistructable that gives our sport a bad name.The reason these calls don't end up in the news is because no one died, but a lot of them end up in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have said this before, brother -in-law flies STARS here and every week they go to at least 2 ATV accidents. (95%) are careless riding with alcohol involved , and no helmets. I asked him if he is ever wondering if he is going to a call that might involve us(my family) and he says no because he knows how we ride and what these calls involve. It is this mentallity(of the young careless men) who think they are indistructable that gives our sport a bad name.The reason these calls don't end up in the news is because no one died, but a lot of them end up in wheelchairs for the rest of their lives.

It's not just men though. Go Drive down hwy 16 west of stony any day, you'll see men and women ripping down the ditches, no helmets, shorts on, short sleeve shirts, no eye protection and no gloves..... why? because its not fashionable to wear all the gear. I force my sister (20) to wear a helmet anytime she drives my quad as she is VERY throttle happy and should that 650 come over on her she's not big enough to move it let alone flip it back over.

Careless driving CANNOT be secluded to "young men"

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stupidity has no favorites.there is enough for everyone...o by the way..helmets are cool..dying..not too cool:cool::beer:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
It's not just men though. Go Drive down hwy 16 west of stony any day, you'll see men and women ripping down the ditches, no helmets, shorts on, short sleeve shirts, no eye protection and no gloves..... why? because its not fashionable to wear all the gear. I force my sister (20) to wear a helmet anytime she drives my quad as she is VERY throttle happy and should that 650 come over on her she's not big enough to move it let alone flip it back over.

Careless driving CANNOT be secluded to "young men"

First hand info, the majority of these above mentioned accidents, drinking and no helmets ARE younger MEN.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw a good one at Falls creek trail, A very large toy hauler came in with large decals of a Large local RD sled & quad dealer, they unloaded 2 quads and a bike, set up camp and went for a ride, male and female along with a infant strapped to drivers chest on both quads and about a 13-15yr old on the bike. 4 adults, 1 teen and 2 infants= no helmets. We just shook our heads and hoped we wouldn't be the one's that had to help them.:confused:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the love of all thats holy, and what ever we believe in people,,

WEAR YOUR HELMETS....NO HELMET NO BRAIN...:nono::nono:. PLASTIC AND METAL CAN BE REPLACED...LIVES OF LOVED ONES CAN NOT......:(:(

MAKE SURE BRAIN IS ENGAGED -BEFORE KEY IS IN THE IGNITION....

---SUPERVISE SUPERVISE SUPERVISE...... LETS SHOW A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR OUR KIDS SO THE CAN LIVE TO BE PARENTS AND DO THE SAME FOR OUR GRAND KIDS....... PLEASE.....

TERRY

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same chit every year, slowly people are gettin the message but when mom,dad ,gramma and grandpa don't wear them why would the kids bother when they get older.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We did the Fall Creek trail last week, we went downstream on the trail from above the falls. That trail is getting dangerous in places. Just upstream from the falls the trail is almost washed out. We had to be very careful where we put the rights side tires. If we had had a saw with us we would have put logs across this area. As it was coming out of the creek at one point my quad flipped up on me(driver error mostly) and I sat there looking at the gas tank while front wheels were up in the air. It did not flip over on me. I always wear a helmet, boots, gloves and a chest protector. I can imagine what would have happened to these other people with their infants strapped to them and no one wearing helmets. STUPID , IDIOTIC people. As it was I had to roll off the back of the quad onto the rocks so that I could get up on my feet. No injuries at all. What would they do in this situation.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once again i will say the Alberta Gov. is letting this happen by not bringing in a helmut law,you guys have to insure and register your atv but hey you dont have to wear a helmut,thats crazy.ATVing can be and is a dangerous sport if you like to push the limit to get the thrill which I do often you could get hurt or killed even with the gear,I wear just about all of it and it works.sometimes sh*t happens.To much booze an lot bad judgement for those above but imsure it wasnt part of there plan ethier.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if there was a helmut law, how would they inforce it out in the bush. People are doing way worse illegal crap in the bush and getting away with it...so good luck with a helmut law. Sad really.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya true but here in BC you dont run into many without helmets on even way out bush camping because once you start wearing one to ride the local areas it just carrys over to all your rides,it wont happen over night but it will catch on faster then now.Plus the kids would be all over dad and mom to wear one if it was law and advertised.

Rufus777

Reaction score
First hand info, the majority of these above mentioned accidents, drinking and no helmets ARE younger MEN.
So what, it's not a competition, more riders are young men, that being said it really doesn't make much difference if more males or females die, it's all preventable, don't drink and ride it's just that simple.

Top Bottom