A Revy Sled Bum's Tale: Another Season with Lilduke

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dan…….Tampons are not for when your bleeding but for dipping the tank for gas .LOL Midol is for when your bleeding .

I dont know man, depends who you go sledding with i guess...lol

And if you must know, I typically crap in the morning before I go sledding. I try to avoid crapping on the hill...lol

Marmot MB

Reaction score
thanks for the list ! I will be adding to mine, Tensor bandage, emergency contact list and tampons,

I bought the Steady Mate tow strap, might be a bit extra weight under the seat but years of dirt biking, quading, and 4 x 4 have taught me straps are king, and one specific for towing a sled just seemed a no brainer as well as the versatility to use it other ways. Also fit a snowbuje under my seat as well. Do not know first hand but seems being stuck sucks and less time diggin and more time riding seems a good idea.

Noticed no compass ?

On the radio note, I think VHF radio's are the way to go with the local frequencies programmed in. best chance aside from a Sat phone for emergency use. Beofung seem to be dirt cheap and work well.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the list ! I will be adding to mine, Tensor bandage, emergency contact list and tampons,

I bought the Steady Mate tow strap, might be a bit extra weight under the seat but years of dirt biking, quading, and 4 x 4 have taught me straps are king, and one specific for towing a sled just seemed a no brainer as well as the versatility to use it other ways. Also fit a snowbuje under my seat as well. Do not know first hand but seems being stuck sucks and less time diggin and more time riding seems a good idea.

Noticed no compass ?

On the radio note, I think VHF radio's are the way to go with the local frequencies programmed in. best chance aside from a Sat phone for emergency use. Beofung seem to be dirt cheap and work well.

A compass is a good Idea, my GPS has one built in. I know my way around the area very good, so getting lost isn't typically a problem for me.

And snow bungies are kind of a joke/ tool for rookies IMO No offense, where Im stuck, they are usually useless...lol :beer:

Last edited:

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know man, depends who you go sledding with i guess...lol

And if you must know, I typically crap in the morning before I go sledding. I try to avoid crapping on the hill...lol
I have to agree with Ken ……..A Zalas Greek Pizza #2 the next day you need Charmin
Comin out next weekend with a bunch Hoolighans

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or as many say, give it to the whiners and send them to the truck///JK

A few things I would add and I always carry, is the climbing rope on my sled, about 50 plus ft, I think it's the 9mm inertia from MEC, 2 good quality pullies and 2 high strength carabiners.

When Randy went over the ridge, in 2004, I really took the time to see what would be essential to survival if you ended up somewhere 'beyond the point of no return'

What saved Randy's life in his opinion, was a tarp. He pulled it over his head and kept warm. If you want the whole story, jut PM me...

I bought this thing and luckily it has never gotten used, but it's the size of a magazine, opens up to a 3' x 6' tarp, has eyelets, and is silver on one side, red on the other for S&R/ From Coghlans..

1388654803.94.jpg

caribiners

And a tampon to dip in gas, will start wet wood on fire

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A compass is a good Idea, my GPS has one built in. I know my way around the area very good, so getting lost isn't typically a problem for me.

And snow bungies are kind of a joke/ tool for rookies IMO No offense, where Im stuck, they are usually useless...lol :beer:

Not doubting your skills Dan, I think you can handle yourself. For lots of other folks though - their GPS is useless if the batteries die or it can't get signal. Probably minimal risk, but no GPS, in the dark/no visibility or fading light with no reference point to fix yourself is how lots of people get lost. Anyone venturing into the backcountry should have more than just a basic knowledge of how the GPS on their smart phone works, and have enough supplies to be prepared to spend at least 1 night in the woods. Most people don't.

You've got a good list going there, 2 things I have always carried - wired gator clips (jumper wires) in case someone rips a ground off or something and needs to extend a cable etc. Also, some actual hard wire (like rebar tie wire). Take a length of this stuff and fold it in half, then wrap it around whatever you've broken, slip the loose ends through the looped end and pull tight, then give a twist or 2 and it tightens right up. Held a lot of stuff on sleds this way to get off the mountain. I use zip ties for hoods etc but for structural stuff, the wire will hold more. Seen it used to hold suspension arms back on etc.

Can also be used to sling a plastic water bottle and hang over the fire if you get stuck overnight (yes you can boil water in a plastic bottle over a fire - tastes a little smoky but works). Zip ties don't like fire I've found.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some snow and mud guys came up from Fernie and wanted to see some good untouched Pow.... I delivered:cool:
Snow was actually awesome,, Very slidey, 2 weak layers in the snow pack. Brought down some slides today.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Were you riding today?
We had pretty open skies all day around Revy?

Turtle and Eagles looked picturesque from our vantage point!

Our trees were leaking water and pretty much bare. Those ones are pretty frozen and snow covered.
We must go in the am....LOL

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many cms is that crown Dan? Thanks

Hey Chad how you doing man? Heard you guys hit up joss?

It was an interesting Avy, 2 seperate layers let go. First layer was aprox 20 inches deep then about 100foot down slope
a second layer let go aprox 8 inches deeper. Was going to take measurements, but these mericans that were following
us all day got burried in a class 3 and chit got hectic for a bit:beer:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another awesome day on he mountain! I literally have about 1000 pics from this season, some real cool ones too. My crappy internet
connection is making this whole thing frustrating though,, took me 40mins to get this 1 pic uploaded tonight.....

Top Bottom