2017 yamaha

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

powder dreams

Reaction score
I find it funny how the big feature is "industry leading horsepower" but yet its nearly impossible to find a actual number. there showing graphs that really dont display anything useful. thats some pretty $hitty marketing if you ask me. and even if it is that 180hp that seems kinda lousy. pretty disappointed with both yamaha and cat today.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the motor is a work of art but i was hoping they would do more chassi changes,ie smaller lighter seat better running boards & the worst chain case i have ever worked on in my life lol,174 would be nice as a option as well.
looks like the fixed the hood & body panels though.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it funny how the big feature is "industry leading horsepower" but yet its nearly impossible to find a actual number. there showing graphs that really dont display anything useful. thats some pretty $hitty marketing if you ask me. and even if it is that 180hp that seems kinda lousy. pretty disappointed with both yamaha and cat today.
they mite be waiting to see the reaction of the release,because
with 9.1 compression they can probably make it 180-210 hp on prem fuel depending on the size of that turbo.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed and it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to sleds, being my sled ends up being modified to work properly for me. I do believe this will dominate the mountains in the hands of the right rider, that is the KEY. At 180hp it still will easily out power anything else out there but i personally would had like for more.
Even if the weight is 100lbs heavier, the power to weight advantage especially at elevation will be far better then any of the others.
I don't know how accurate these weights are but i got them from this site, Polaris and Doo 163 tracks, wet, claimed at 518.
Using the latest 165hp numbers, being generous this gives these sleds 3.13 ratio at sea level, forget elevation.
I would hope the NEW Yamaha will be lighter and better then my Nytro.
Giving the new Yamaha a weight of 600lbs wet and fueled for conversation sake with the claimed 180hp, this sled will be a solid 3.33 ratio. At sea level or 8,000ft. Not a bad base for a reliable mountain slayer.

I'm wondering about the cooling system....rad yes/no?
PTO stub shaft, what did Yamaha do about it, the 1049 were nortoriously known for noisy clutches, caused by the stub shaft spline?
It might be too soon to know but i would definitely be looking to up grading up in the 250hp....my Nytro got me pushing $40k and i'm not willing to doit again so i hope this new Yami can be up scaled easily like the Cats.

FYI, being that i posted a bit on HP. The biggest advantage to a 4 stroke is not necessarily its HP capabilities but more its toque capabilities. Pulling a 174x3 takes alot of toque and a 4 stroke can do that with less effort then any 2 stroke. Do it with a broader toque curve using less RPMs and generating a higher over all track speed. Throw in a big HP number and IF you can ride it you will have a perma grin that no other can deliver. IMO

modified my post, some info i posted was imo unrelated and not necessary.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A blue birdie told me this evening 180 hp++..... But let's just say it feels like 200. This hp is rated to 10,000' ... Anything above they offer a high elevation intake kit :beer:

Yes my blood is like Blue Loctite.... It's ran thick thru my family for 55 years...

This motor is just mind boggling of the engineering gone into it... for years to come applications!

cheers

Last edited:

mountinman

Reaction score
I like the idea of a sled set up for a turbo from the factory. It shouldn't be hard to get much more power since less mods will be needed, no more adding fuel boxes or fooling the stock ECM since it's already got a turbo ready ECM. Also low compression, no installing head shims, oil cooled pistons should last longer and handle more boost, stronger purpose built exhaust manifold too. I was hoping to see a new Yamaha chassis too, but the more I read about this engine, the more I like the idea, so much potential and even in stock form, will be a good sled.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I imagine that Evolution Powersports will have a reflash or bigger turbo available by year end. If the engine is strong enough, added head studs should be all you need to have reliable 230-240 hp on 100LL. Cheap horsepower and turn key reliability.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I said in that last slide it says 180hp. Take that as you will but it's a marked improvement over the 130hp the genesis made.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I said in that last slide it says 180hp. Take that as you will but it's a marked improvement over the 130hp the genesis made.
Big improvement but I don't think it's enough to justify the price and weight penalty.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will have to wait and see what real world weights come in at and if it's not a big difference 180hp at altitude vs 165 - 3hp per 1000ft or whatever it is could be a win for the new yamacat.

Top Bottom