2012 Ford F250 Diesel or Cummins?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys I am a cummins fan don't get me wrong but the new Ford's are getting impressive milage.

I have debated the whole gas vs diesel thing to death in my head (im slow at making large financial decisions)

I need a family vehicle so large cab is needed or i'd keep my 02 forever.

I can't stand it when kids in car seats can kick the back of the seat.

Stock dodges are now getting about 22 litres to 100 km (driving say 110-115kmph) (that sucks still hearing some guys complaining after deletes)

I heard the new Ford is WAY better on diesel. My truck will mostly be a long haul family vehicle ( i travel a lot) so comfort and reliability are my main issues. I tow a trailer 7-9 thousand pounds only twice per year. I don't due a lot of gravel road driving but need ground clearence for a short 8k trip into my fav fishing whole and cabin so dirty max is out!

I love the cummins 6 speed manual tranny does Ford have one?

Not looking to start a debate here. Honestly just wanna hear from guys who have them. This is not a Gas for diesel quesiton either... nothing makes me sicker on road trip then passing everyone only to have to stop and get gas to start all over again! BC is worse for that then AB cause of the narrow roads!

I also have a large 330 lbs handicapped dad and I love to take him fishing/hunting with me so cab room and comfort are a must. I have never even been in the cab of a large ford!

LAST but not least through a friend I have been told I can get any chrysler product for 25$ above dealer invoice???? How would I know? Anyone have any input on that

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on keeping it stock or doing the deletes? My 2012 megacab was getting about 14-15mpg hwy when it was stock. Deleted it's getting about 19-21mpg depending on how I drive, winds etc. My buddy, J-Roc on here was getting terrible mileage with his 2011 ford but after a reflash from the dealer he's getting around 13l/100km now if I remember right. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

The ford 6.7 is proving to be a pretty reliable mill so far unlike the 6.0 and 6.4 in the past. The ram has the biggest cab room with the megacab but the downside to it is that it's a longbox chassis. It can be a pain to park at times.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Test drive them both and find a dealer who has good service and is willing to deal.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The interior of a dodge has come a long way i had a 2008 king ranch and i like my 2012 dodge alot better with just a crew cab can put 4 guys very comfortably as for a diesel if you are looking for mileage keep your 02 not gonna find it in anything new just my 2 cents.

Remington721

Reaction score
My buddy has a F-350 and that thing is so smooth driving on gravel roads and what not. So far it has been extremely reliable for him and hasn't left him stranded, not to sure of ford has a Manuel or not. Whatever decision you make, hope it works for you.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 good friends of mine both own large mechanic shops, working on ford diesels keeps them in business. the 2012 models are sure fancy both inside and out. price point the fords are higher, ford also uses a urea in their diesel process and dodge doesnt, so one less thing to worry about/maintain. the mega cab is the roomiest cab going currently. in stock form the cummins does like the fuel, but i dont know anyone who hasnt done the deletes.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im a ford guy so im a bit biased, but id say test drive them both, the dodge has come a looooong way in the last couple of years and unless your looking at a longhorn there 10g cheeper. The ford has a bit more power, less turbo lag and so far seems to be reliable, my dad has a 11 with over 160k on it and the only thing i can remembering him have to change was a NX sensor,
the ford will get better mileage than the dodge but if you pay 10g less for the dodge that buys a lot of fuel to make up 2-4 mpg difference
the cummins is a bullit proof motor and if you mod it, it should get the same mileage as the ford.
my only complaint with the dodge when i test drove a longhorn was the ride was a bit harsh, but i loved the interior and the mega cab is awesome, i wish ford would come out with one lol
good luck truck hunting

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're going to go Dodge better get a 2012, because 2013 has urea like the others.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a cummins guy. I've had a 98.5, 05, and 07 5.9. I bought Luke the drifters old 93 and we use it for camping, quadfing, etc.

I had never had a ford super duty, and thought is try one out. As Luke said, after the dealer reflash, WOW!
I'M IN LOVE. Great power, comfort, and mileage. I can say the only thing i miss is a manual transmission. Looked at a cummins with a manual, but would have had to special order, etc.

I went ford because my dealer rocks. I think with a delete kit on a cummins, or the ford stock, you'll have a great truck no matter what..

I wanted something I could keep stock, and am very happy.

Good luck!

Keep us posted!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your info. Any of you guys put your kids in these trucks? Just wondering if on the Ford or Dogde (without the mega cab) the kids are still kicking the back of the seats. I know on the GM 1500 crew cabs they do. I like the idea of having at least a 6.5 foot box.

Just found out the wife is prego so number 2 will be here in March... time to get a new truck!

Is Urea really a big deal? I mean is it a lot to worry about. I heard its as easy as adding washer fluid to your truck???? Im gonna put 10k down and finance the rest so I don't need a truck that will nickle and dime me. To be honest the dodge did! Ball joints every 2 years and then there was the 5000$ fix for the dead fuel pump caused by the faulty lift pump issue!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The interior of a dodge has come a long way i had a 2008 king ranch and i like my 2012 dodge alot better with just a crew cab can put 4 guys very comfortably as for a diesel if you are looking for mileage keep your 02 not gonna find it in anything new just my 2 cents.

trust me wich I could keep my 02 but can afford to keep both we have a jetta to run around with. Do you think the cummins with deletes will get close to the 02? I ve heard diff things from different people so not sure why this one issue has so much varience. I even heard of a guy getting 12 litres every 100 km bone stock new 2012 no deletes! But everyone else is getting 20-22 litres every 100 km. Some guy sent me a pick of his 2012 ford getting 10 litres on avg every 100 km he claims he's bone stock and admitts to babying it at about 100 km/hr on cruise control and empty

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 good friends of mine both own large mechanic shops, working on ford diesels keeps them in business. the 2012 models are sure fancy both inside and out. price point the fords are higher, ford also uses a urea in their diesel process and dodge doesnt, so one less thing to worry about/maintain. the mega cab is the roomiest cab going currently. in stock form the cummins does like the fuel, but i dont know anyone who hasnt done the deletes.

Mattiac, do you know if those are the 2012's they are talking about? I heard the only issue on the 2012 is the cheap light weight turbo's so make sure you let them cool down but other then that they have been great trucks. The new 6.7 is suppose to be much more reliable the the older one.

Guys, not talking engine but the rest of the truck. I have admitt my 02 dodge was a little costly never the engine... just ball joints, lift pumps, main fuel pump ect which buy the way cummins honoured the warranty on school busses ect but dodge wouldn't on their truck so I am a little pissed at Dodge right now

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle is that really that bad of thing? If stock it helps get better mileage???? How much work is the urea? Does the truck still go into regen?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Ram 3500 laramie 4x4 with the 6.7. It is used as a work truck (offroad), and gets 14.2l/100km empty, 16.5l/100km when pulling either of my trailers, one of which is a 28' holiday trailer that weighs 13800 lbs, and does it like the trailer isn't there. I do have the dpf delete, and 149,000 kms on it - other then regular oil and filter changes I have replaced both front axle u-joints,front and rear brake pads once, and two driveshaft u-joints. That's it. My 03 had 487,000 km on it - I did the ball joints once, along with the RF wheel bearing and front axle u-joints. I've been very fortunate as my last three Dodges were bulletproof reliable.
That said, the Ford rides nicer, and the interior is more plush (seat comfort) then the Dodge.
As far as your question about pricing over invoice, check out carscostcanada.com - you can build the vehicle you want (just like a factory order), and get the dealer net cost (there is a fee - will allow you to search net cost on three vehicles). I used this when I purchased my wifes 2007 Mustang GT ragtop, and her 2011 F150 Supercrew 4x4. You will not purchase one for $25 over cost (less then invoice), as there is a holdback allocated in the invoice to cover interest and advertising, but you should be able to purchase one for invoice... Bear in mind if you are trading a vehicle in, you had better be prepared to go wholesale to wholesale. I know how the dealership works only because I spent 9 years working for Chrysler, in sales, service, and finance before going back to the oilfield.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Urea is a good thing compared to DPF, It is a fill once every 5000k or something like that. I was gonna buy 2010 F-350 Lariat with al the deletes, and goodies. I took it out for a good highway run and it was showing 11L/100 which is very good. The 6.4 was reliable, just a pig on fuel without the DPF, exhaust and programmer. This truck was a ROCKET!

If you are worried about mileage, you shouldn't be shelling out 60G's plus on a truck then.

JUSSSAYIN'\

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge guys like to keep secrets. The cummins is a good motor. The chassis is cheap and it has a weak tranny. I had a 2008 dodge and put a front end in every 50k. Tranny at 65k. Head gasket at 67k. It had full deletes and no warranty cause of that. The 6.7 dodge is hard on fuel. $100 more to revy each way compared to my new ford. Even empty on cruise the best I ever could squeeze out was 17L/100 at 80 km . Pulling my 13000 lb toyhauler was horrible. 28-32L per 100km. I love my new fords power and mileage. Pulling the same toyhauler today from Cochrane to edm at 130km I got 23L per 100 in a f350 dually. In my experience this is what happened. Also urea is only 40$ to fill and goes 9-11000 km

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle is that really that bad of thing? If stock it helps get better mileage???? How much work is the urea? Does the truck still go into regen?

It's a horrible thing. There is no benefit to it, it's not going to increase mileage. Just wait until 2012's get slim pickings, there will be bidding wars on them because people don't want urea. It's just something else to go wrong and maintain.

It's funny how Dodge is such hypocrites. How long did they advertise they don't need urea? I'm all for Dodge but this makes them look so dahm stupid. It's sure a good thing for them most buyers aren't informed and have such short memory.

Last edited:

Nathansharkey

Reaction score
I was a cummins guy for the past 4 trucks. I always hated Dodge but loved the cummins. I hated the cheap electronics and door hinges and ball joints and transmissions but the engine couldn't be beat. Until I test drove the new Ford. I am now a Ford man. I love Fords new diesel engine. Great power. Excellent fuel economy. Smooth ride. Don't worry about urea. They top it up every oil change (10k) and you don't ever have to worry about it. Ford has built in trailer brakes and an anti-sway system for pulling. My single wheel pulls with the same stability as a dually. Go with the Ford. Money well spent. This is from an ex die hard cummins guy.

Top Bottom