2012 Ford F250 Diesel or Cummins?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To update... my buyer fell through on my truck... shouldn't be a hard sell... i am "suppose to ge getting a friend price for a dodge" lol... you all know how that works. I will let you know what the price is next week.

What I need and want. Diesel, 4x4 crew or mega cab, 6speed in the dodge if I can get it, tow package, locking or limited slip rear diff... can't remember the gearing I want... the nicer tires, trailer tow set up, running boards and ac... all the rest doesn't matter

The prices I have been getting off lots are steering me away from ford to dodge

for all you deleted dodge guys how much is the hs mini max and turbo back exhaust costing you?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will have a tough time finding a standard when I was considering a new diesel this spring there was only 1 in all of western Canada. Granted all dealers don't share with each other, they are very rare. But I searched all Edmonton dealers and no one had one.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you know something I don't say it... I can't read between the lines and i don't know what your talking about. I don't think any of the vehicle are as reliable as they could be. I'd still rather drive and tow with "coal" then a gas.

I almost bought a toyota tundra except I found out that they have an api valve issue thats costing 4k to fix and burn a lot of gas (don't feel like pulling over 4 times on my road trips). Priced out a Chevy z71 crew cab 6.0 litre gas 44k. Now with Dodge giving the diesel away for free or ford employee pricing I am getting very close numbers to 50k... I don't think I'd buy a gas 3/4 ton for 6k less then a diesel just my re sale alone would make up for that.

I posted on here looking for advise if the only thing you can say is that Im paying for pay check and that's your way of helping... THANKS for NOTHING!

If you have a point from your experience I'd love to hear it! If not make a post how much you hate diesels.

For anyone else that cares... I am test driving a cummins tomorrow!

Not hating...I just work in the gas/oil industry, so when all these chipped and tuned diesel trucks (mine included i guess) blowing smoke, it just makes me feel like I have a little better job security, cause I see $$ puffing out the pipe. I pull my stuff with a diesel...35,000lbs with the trailer, quads, etc, I get around 11mpg. But I have a 1/2 with a Hemi for a daily driver, which bangs off 24.5mpg with a low octane tune. Do not go that route if you are going to pull anything more than a small open trailer...cause the mileage drops to single digits with a trailer.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with the 6sp manual in the new dodges is they are bfactory tuned at 650ish ftlbs versus the auto at 800ft lbs and the clutch in my 08 wasnt tough enough to handle a hottter tune replaced it and good but if your going to delete ant tune why not start with 800 rather than try and get to it

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with the 6sp manual in the new dodges is they are bfactory tuned at 650ish ftlbs versus the auto at 800ft lbs and the clutch in my 08 wasnt tough enough to handle a hottter tune replaced it and good but if your going to delete ant tune why not start with 800 rather than try and get to it

Deleting a G56 truck and using a tuner removes the torque management system that derates them to 650ft/lbs. Its just a matter of tuning, replacing the clutch to a beefier unit and replacing the hydraulics for the clutch and you have a truck with the same output as the autos

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will have a tough time finding a standard when I was considering a new diesel this spring there was only 1 in all of western Canada. Granted all dealers don't share with each other, they are very rare. But I searched all Edmonton dealers and no one had one.

Cyle, can you order one?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not hating...I just work in the gas/oil industry, so when all these chipped and tuned diesel trucks (mine included i guess) blowing smoke, it just makes me feel like I have a little better job security, cause I see $$ puffing out the pipe. I pull my stuff with a diesel...35,000lbs with the trailer, quads, etc, I get around 11mpg. But I have a 1/2 with a Hemi for a daily driver, which bangs off 24.5mpg with a low octane tune. Do not go that route if you are going to pull anything more than a small open trailer...cause the mileage drops to single digits with a trailer.

Thanks, I realize these post can open up a can of worms but I was just looking for real world numbers. I can't afford two trucks and I don't want my wife using my truck as a daily driver. lol... don't tell! My truck isn't used for work so it's a bit of a pavement princess but if I like it I have no problems keeping my trucks for over 10 years. When I pull a trailer its usually no more the 10k... looking at buying a 7x14 dump trailer too and using it to fix up some land my grand parents have in BC.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. Your post is exactly the kind of post I was looking for.

Being in the oil fields your trucks get used hard... do they still need front end ball joints regularly?????

Looking at a 2012. I don't think i'd tune it except to do the deletes and straight pipe for better fuel consumption...

trust me as far as job security goes my 2009 chevy suburban at work keeps you employeed! Glad I don't pay the fuel on that thing!

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

:confused: Please explain, I am confused.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either you can't add, or you are waaaaaaay waaaaaaay overloaded.

The highest GCWR in a standard pickup that I could find was an F-450 single cab at 33000 Lbs. Do you put the kids and dog in the trailer?

What part confuses you? My truck, trailer, quads, kids, dog, etc weighs in at 35,000lbs, and doing 100-110kmh, I average 11mpg.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What part confuses you? My truck, trailer, quads, kids, dog, etc weighs in at 35,000lbs, and doing 100-110kmh, I average 11mpg.

Could you explain your setup? Truck, trailer, average cargo?

The reason I ask is my setup is about 23,500 pounds. Dodge mega cab 3500 single rear wheel. 5th wheel is 37' long, and about 15,500 pounds loaded. Weighed most recently at the self weigh on HWY 16 near Edson. A good day for me is 9mpg.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either you can't add, or you are waaaaaaay waaaaaaay overloaded.

The highest GCWR in a standard pickup that I could find was an F-450 single cab at 33000 Lbs. Do you put the kids and dog in the trailer?

Never said anything about a pickup...I haul the wife's Ranger, my WR450 (before I sold it), and a Z50 dirtbike in the toyhauler. My Renegade, 2 90 quads, and a CRF70 goes on the deck of the truck....all together adds up to a couple lbs over 35000.

Attachments

• IMG_0723 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_0723 (640x478).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0725 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_0725 (640x478).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 272

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I gathered it was a pickup, since the thread title is about pickups....:rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: LID

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never said anything about a pickup...I haul the wife's Ranger, my WR450 (before I sold it), and a Z50 dirtbike in the toyhauler. My Renegade, 2 90 quads, and a CRF70 goes on the deck of the truck....all together adds up to a couple lbs over 35000.

Now it makes more sense! I was wondering if it was a Freightliner M2 business class, or a little Pete.... Looks good! But that setup seriously averages 11 miles per US gallon? That is impressive. What does it have for an engine and gearing?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

now... not to offend you but if you go back to the original post some guy told me if Im buying a new diesel i shouldn't worry about the mileage... im guessing you don't worry to much about it... lol... i have to say that is one of the nicest set up I have seen!!!! Wow is all I can say

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK,

So are there seatbelts in the sleeper??
I can't see 4 peeps on the front seat of that, unless it's an auto//

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now... not to offend you but if you go back to the original post some guy told me if Im buying a new diesel i shouldn't worry about the mileage... im guessing you don't worry to much about it... lol... i have to say that is one of the nicest set up I have seen!!!! Wow is all I can say

Fuel mileage, for me, isn't a huge concern...it's still cheaper than taking two vehicles out camping. My math is a little different than most...as I use an imperial gallon (4.54l vs. 3.78l) when figuring out my mpg...always have, so it's tough to change...Cyle's probably going to flame me here cause there's no such thing an an imperial gallon. All I know is I stuff almost 600 liters into the tanks twice a summer, and the truck sits all winter.

Top Bottom