1998 rmk 700 project

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I found a non running machine with very little compression and a blown head gasket. Guy who owned it says it had an engine rebuild about 700km ago, with double roller crank bearings, blah blah, etc.

I bought this as a project for me and my 14yr old daughter, wrenching, engine rebuilding is not a problem. Best places to buy parts, and recommendations on rebuilding, will be a complete because I am OCD on anything I build. Wanting to build back to stock specs as my daughter will get this sled next year as I will be snowchecking a new 2016.

Thanks.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I imagine that places like Royal Distributing or maybe Recreation Supply could help you out with parts.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I imagine that places like Royal Distributing or maybe Recreation Supply could help you out with parts.

Ditto. Bought all my parts from either one. Always had good luck with SPI pistons in our 700 RMK's, and the price is right. Wiseco's.....not so much. Squeeked 'em every time.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well both jugs are screwed, how bad going to see tomorrow. Found some reman on eBay for about $300ea.

Melted the pistons on both exhaust sides.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well both jugs are screwed, how bad going to see tomorrow. Found some reman on eBay for about $300ea.

Melted the pistons on both exhaust sides.

Sell you a 98 600 with a 700 motor in it. The motor was running just not well. It was back firing and Phuckin around. Jugs are fine, it has good compression. Best Offer.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I double checked my jugs and they can be repaired, it was just the aluminum from the pistons that caused me to think otherwise.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have talked with 2 other people outside the forum and they suggested SPI pistons as what was mentioned in earlier posts.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really check the cylinders, the nickasil back then would flake after a burndown sometimes, and then another rebuild if they do.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell you a 98 600 with a 700 motor in it. The motor was running just not well. It was back firing and Phuckin around. Jugs are fine, it has good compression. Best Offer.

Thanks but I'm only going to stick with the one project, already have a '98 600, and a 2001 800. When those go probably just part out if possible.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's it coming along?

Slow, had all my parts last Monday BUT my water pump bearings. Have to get them this week from a bearing place in town. I have been pretty busy with work and the upcoming holidays, hope to have it together for this sunday.

FrankieJames7

Reaction score
I have 2 700's both non ves

97 sks

FB_IMG_1417778367669_zpsd8n5h9s2.jpg

FB_IMG_1417778322451_zpsrt6fvzvu.jpg

98 xc

FB_IMG_1417778309678_zpsobbe6hfg.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-22-01-43-06_zps7ovnf73d.png

these motors respond well to clutching changes and will be probably the most noticeable improvement. it will not handle well at all compared to todays standards no matter what you really do, it's really floppy and has little strength and rigidity to make quick direction changes.

shorten your ski stance, chop the sway bar, better skis, and a new track is the best you can do to make it handle better for mountains

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not one for taking pictures but I got the motor in, first picture is just with the head off, second is with the motor in. I have to do a couple things yet like get an o'ring for the chain case drain plug and my engine temp sensor I pick up tomorrow. I need to put primary back on but going to leave the belt off for a bit, will premix 50:1 first tank and keep an eye on oil tank level. Glad I only paid $700 for this sled because it needed more work than I was told

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 249

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I added coolant, topped up the oil injection and flipped the choke. Pulled once, nothing, pulled a second time and the beast fired right up, turned choke off after a couple seconds and she quit. Flipped choke, started on first pull, gave a little throttle and turned off choke,.. idling nice and smooth.

Tomorrow hopefully going to install the primary, belt and hood and take it for a rip if I have time. If not I will have to wait until Saturday :(

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really check the cylinders, the nickasil back then would flake after a burndown sometimes, and then another rebuild if they do.

I always thought that such an old motor from 98 doesn't have any nickasil inside. Would be happy to be wrong, though

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you put on a new water pump belt. That little sucker cost me two rebuilds, it drives the oil pump as well so by the time you overheat it is too late. Great sled though, lots of snap and fun to ride.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you put on a new water pump belt. That little sucker cost me two rebuilds, it drives the oil pump as well so by the time you overheat it is too late. Great sled though, lots of snap and fun to ride.

Had a brand new one on when i bought the machine

Top Bottom