'03 Ford F-350

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i hear the '03 6.0L diesel's were having issues with the heads and some other stuff, were the problems easy and cheap to fix? did they have the problem fixed for the '04's?

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand The problem they were having was with the egr valve failing. I know you can get a delete kit that fixes the problem with them clogging and causing head leaks. I have seen it available from BD diesel in BC. I think the 04 had the same problem.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i hear the '03 6.0L diesel's were having issues with the heads and some other stuff, were the problems easy and cheap to fix? did they have the problem fixed for the '04's?

03-07 6.0L's are basically the same problems with turbo vanes sticking, egr valve failure, egr cooler problems, weak head bolts, wire chaffing issues. If you do a head stud kit and an EGR delete with a mild tuner they are pretty good. better mileage than a 6.4L. Usually one of the problems listed above starts a chain effect of the above failures. You will find lovers and haters, I never had too many problems with 3 of my 6.0L's but my 6.4L is an animal with a spartan tuner. No question for me. The 2006-07 had had most of the wiring issues sorted out but you still should do studs and egr delete. Even stock you cannot get around the fact that these were inherent design flaws and should be addressed.

As for your question of affordability, i think once you start pricing out installation costs you will quickly see this is not a cost effective option unless you do the work yourself.

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i'd try doing most of the stuff my self, so how do i know if ALL the problems are fixed? cuz i dont wanna buy a 03 for $10,000 and find out i godda put another $5000 in it

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i'd try doing most of the stuff my self, so how do i know if ALL the problems are fixed? cuz i dont wanna buy a 03 for $10,000 and find out i godda put another $5000 in it

Plan on putting the money into, if buddy you are buying the truck from does not know if he has headstuds and a egr delete he does not know much.

He surely would remember doing these mods, because he would remember writing the cheque. Unless you have a fair bit of disposable cash these trucks off warranty are good to stay away from.

PS Even when Ford did warranty work 99% of the time every thing would be repaired and returned to stock. Very few dealers are into aftermarket mods and retrofitting, unless it is by the hour.

For 10-15k you are not going to get much in the way of a diesel, may want to divert your attention as much as I hate to say it to Dodge.

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my #1 choice is a dodge but i'd still get a ford if the price is right, i just need a diesel for a farm truck it dont really matter how many kms on it (i'd be worried about the kms on a ford, dodge goes forever)

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
If you're looking for a farm truck I suggest looking at the 99-02 7.3L fords or the cummins. Both are reliable workhorses with few problems. You can get a 7.3L for a steal

Top Bottom