Zilla tire true measurement

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was looking at buying Zilla 28-10-12 and 28-12-12 rubber for my
1000 outlander but heard they measure out a little smaller then advertised on the 12" rim. Do any of you know what they measure out to when sitting on the quad? I'm asking because I would prefer to go with a set of 14" rims for the bling factor, problem is once you go to 14 and 28" the tires width goes to 9 and 11. So from what I heard is the the tires on 14" rims are true in sizing. So I'm thinking 27" tires on 14" rims would be pretty close to 28" on 12" rims? Then I could keep the width. Any one know?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All Zilla's run 1" short. I've had 28's on 12" rims...they were 27", had 27's on 14" rims...they were 26" and 30's on 14" rims....they are 29".

I would stick with the 12" rim. The ONLY complaint I have with Zillas is the beads get filled with muck real easy on the 14" rim...4 times I've re-seated my front tires this summer. Guys running the 12" rims seem to not have as many problems.

Last edited:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All Zilla's run 1" short. I've had 28's on 12" rims...they were 27", had 27's on 14" rims...they were 26" and 30's on 14" rims....they are 29".

I would stick with the 12" rim. The ONLY complaint I have with Zillas is the beads get filled with muck real easy on the 14" rim...4 times I've re-seated my front tires this summer. Guys running the 12" rims seem to not have as many problems.

That sir, is a big 10-4. The wife has 26" Zillas on 14" rims...what a pain in the nards. I have 27's on 12" rims...never had a problem

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sir, is a big 10-4. The wife has 26" Zillas on 14" rims...what a pain in the nards. I have 27's on 12" rims...never had a problem

Interesting. My beads are full of grass. I figured it was a somewhat isolated incident (and I ahave 12" rims). ...didn't realize that it was common for Zillas.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am running 27" on 14inch rims and I have never lost a bead. I am running 7-8 psi on the fronts. 6 psi in the rears.

​And yes, they do run 1 inch short.

hedge

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as DaveB with my 28''s on 14" rims. I'm always getting dirt between the rim and tire and have to re-seat them ever couple months.

I'll probably jinx myself but I've never had a flat with this combo whereas my buddies with 12" are always plugging theres, no idea what's going on there probably just a coincidence.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking like dave a little more pressure, the sidewalls seem very flexible or soft(not sure how to describe it). and also have been running 8 lbs pressure, on 12inch 28 zilla tires. i heard if you run 15lbs pressure they are closer to actual claimed size. would be real rough ride though.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were you quading in BC?
lol, nope! This was from riding spring rallies in SE Alberta, not ripping up back country in BC.

Last weekend I ran 8.5 psi all 'round (like QMAO) and no crud in the beads....so maybe a little more pressure helps?
I'm running between 6 and 7 lb. I'll try another lb or two and see if that makes a difference. ...if I ever get that stink'n quad running.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at 14lbs they are only a 1/2" short. the 28,s on 14 tend to fall right off the rim on a 1200 lb machine.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when running such a high pressure, aren't you concerned about punctures? I generally run 3.5in mine and have never had a punture, but I do get a fair bit of crud in the bead. comparing my 27 mud bugs to Josh's 28 inch zillas they are almost the same height.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when running such a high pressure, aren't you concerned about punctures? I generally run 3.5in mine and have never had a punture, but I do get a fair bit of crud in the bead. comparing my 27 mud bugs to Josh's 28 inch zillas they are almost the same height.

If you run any less on the rzr the beads pop constantly.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fawk dave what the frick ya doing? yer worse than me, how about an all out suds buds on october long weekend, the bombi angainst the king, winner has to have a beer with the king!!!! haaha i know fawk off . no ch!t last weekend i'm thinkin. ?

Last edited:

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fawk dave what the frick ya doing? yer worse than me, how about an all out suds buds on october long weekend, the bombi angainst the king, winner has to have a beer with the king!!!! haaha i know fawk off . no ch!t last weekend i'm thinkin. ?

I am thinkin there should be more than one King there to ride against Dave. I have yet put my machine to a good test riding with him.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinkin there should be more than one King there to ride against Dave. I have yet put my machine to a good test riding with him.

hahaha u and i need to meet up!!!1 no more B S. hahahahaha, dave is going down., hahaha this is to good, he will not enter mud as far as i've seen. ya bring it on

DAVE. hehehehe just kidding

ya right the king lives

Top Bottom