Zero Turn Mowers With A Steering Wheel?

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello so I am in the market for a zero turn mower and have stumbled across a cub cadet and a toro true zero turn mower but instead of the traditional bars they have a steering wheel and the front and rear wheels are steered to help on steep ditches. I’m curious if anyone is running one of them or driven one? Would love to drink a cold one while using a zero turn

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for those 2 models but the Country Clipper joystick requires only 1 hand to operate if that sort of thing is important.

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for those 2 models but the Country Clipper joystick requires only 1 hand to operate if that sort of thing is important.

I was also curious about the ones with the single joy stick. Do you own one or have experience with them?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello so I am in the market for a zero turn mower and have stumbled across a cub cadet and a toro true zero turn mower but instead of the traditional bars they have a steering wheel and the front and rear wheels are steered to help on steep ditches. I’m curious if anyone is running one of them or driven one? Would love to drink a cold one while using a zero turn

Neighbors have the cadet and love it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 54” rzts with about 250hours on it, I dont have hilly land but they are 1000000x better than the ol caster wheels up front plus you can axshully make straight lines with it. So far so good, regular maintenance. Probably be better if your kids are grown haha

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched to the Country Clipper in 2011. It is the 54" deck and the single joystick with (I think) a 24 HP motor. It has performed trouble free and I cut about three acres about 60% of which is ditch. The joystick takes a bit of practice to get used to but have no problem holding a straight line. I thought the joystick would allow me to hold a beer but I now cut so dam fast that I use my free hand to hold on to the grab handle as there is a fair amount of rough terrain. What used to take about four hours now is an hour and 15 minutes.

The only annoying thing about this unit is with the mulching kit it is dirty unless the grass is very green. I also doubled up the blades so have two mulching blades on each shaft for a total of six under the deck rather than 3. No clumps left behind when I use that but it generates a lot of pressure so forces grass out from under the edge of the deck. Sounds like a Cessna though....

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 60" Clipper. The joystick is really easy to use and it is a nice unit. They are a bit pricey but any of them are. Having a free hand to fend off branches is nice.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy on here that got one and found out the hard way that you really have to be careful on steep slopes with zero turn. Might not be best choice for a steep property.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy on here that got one and found out the hard way that you really have to be careful on steep slopes with zero turn. Might not be best choice for a steep property.

Doo tell?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Gravely, still has 2 sticks , but has been a really good machine.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo tell?
The shopping cart wheels that support one end tend to try to drift downhill when "sidehilling".

To the OP: I think that "zero turn mowers" that have steering wheels and steerable wheels are not really zero turn. I have a JD rear steer front mount mower....works great. Doesn't turn on it's own axis, but will do a circle around a 6" tree with the mower deck, no problem.

Indy245

Reaction score
I have no problem drinking a cold one and running the 0 turn with one hand - John Deere with two handles. Takes a bit of practice to figure out running both handles with one hand but is easily doable. JD warranty is awesome (had a non-greased spindle when I purchased my new unit and they replaced the whole deck after it failed) and for me makes it worth while. Having said that, if someone makes a single joystick for the JD 0 Turn I will buy it.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Ranger-Mower-671x382.jpg
    Ranger-Mower-671x382.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 181
Top Bottom