Your favorite cooler

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m looking into getting a quality cooler for tenting this year. I’ve looked at a few different brands like Yeti, Chilly Moose, Orca and one I found on Amazon called Emei.
what do you like, what do you hate? Is a Yeti really worth the money, because damn, they’re expensive.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've got three of the Yeti beer/bevy coolies ...all different colours. Work very well, a little heavy and hard to tell when your beer/bevy is empty.
Don't have an actual cooler yet, wife wants a Yeti 65 for camping....somewhere around five hundred bucks.

These two are the ol' dolls, had me put some artwork on them...limited colours available.

Attachments

• IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 105

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've got three of the Yeti beer/bevy coolies ...all different colours. Work very well, a little heavy and hard to tell when your beer/bevy is empty.
Don't have an actual cooler yet, wife wants a Yeti 65 for camping....somewhere around five hundred bucks.

These two are the ol' dolls, had me put some artwork on them...limited colours available.

I’ve got a tall Yeti travel mug and it’s deadly. It’ll easily hold ice overnight on the counter, but $500 is pretty steep lol.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a pelican cooler last year after watching a u tube video of coolers holding ice for days down in the southern states. The coolers were on a dock getting opened once a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck Camping/Boating/Tenting

Day trip stuff/drinks (had these a couple years, they hold up and squish down when not in use)

weekend (LOVE this cooler, but always afraid someone's going to steal it from unoccupied camp site...)

Week (BIG cooler, ice lasts a couple days, little top lid door for less opening loss... takes the whole back seat of our boat though)

its an investment though for sure.

Last edited:

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck Camping/Boating/Tenting

Day trip stuff/drinks (had these a couple years, they hold up and squish down when not in use)

weekend (LOVE this cooler, but always afraid someone's going to steal it from unoccupied camp site...)

Week (BIG cooler, ice lasts a couple days, little top lid door for less opening loss... takes the whole back seat of our boat though)

its an investment though for sure.

I’m at the point in my life where I’d rather pay once and cry once, rather than buy the same thing a few times over.
I was thinking of a Tundra 65 like the one you listed. Does it have a decent amount of room in it? It’s always hard to tell with pictures online.
I also like that backpack style bag you shared. That might be great for the aluminum fishing boat.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 65 is pretty big, mine has a tray in it for the stuff that shouldn't get wet. 24 beer, 12 bubly water, steaks/burgers/hot dogs, condiments on ice... it will do a weekend easily

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2 yetis and a couple bision coolers in various sizes. The yetis are really nice. But I prefer the bision ones not because of performance difference, since they both kick butt, but the ease of tying them down. On the flatbed or sxs the bision is easier/less hassle

Sent from my S96Pro using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a number of buddies that are avid RVers with yetis and all say they like them but not worth the cost. IMO all of the rotomolded coolers perform pretty comparably for a few night trip.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ I would agree with that, A friend has had ENGEL ones for 10+ years and they're still working good. hinges and latches are the things that break usually

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a big pelican cooler, it keeps ice forever if you aren't constantly in it. I have had ice last 7 days no problem.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long are you camping for? My coleman one will keep ice for days if I keep it in the shade.

I can't justify the absurd amount they want for yetis. And then always worry about people steal

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a soft and a hard Valley sportsman branded yeti clones from pricess Auto.

They seam identical to the yetis except for the price. And like everything at princess auto, I waited for a sale and got them pretty cheep. The 35 can soft one was under $100, the yeti version $400 plus.

Not sure if they still will have them though. Don’t see them online. Maybe for spring.

Attachments

• 67D9545A-01AA-4DC2-84E9-1B9A0A6EF76A.png
    67D9545A-01AA-4DC2-84E9-1B9A0A6EF76A.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 5956D567-0ABD-420E-AEF3-4D8EB24B951E.png
    5956D567-0ABD-420E-AEF3-4D8EB24B951E.png
    808.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 7C9B8C99-1D0D-4957-8745-689A62B31573.png
    7C9B8C99-1D0D-4957-8745-689A62B31573.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 128

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go buy a cheep cooler, drill holes on the outside and lid. Take home insulation foam and inject it into the cooler, once full it will be yeti good! It’s all about the insulation.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a yeti just a small one it’s pretty decent but I was honestly expecting better for the price. It’s my beer cooler when boating so I in it often maybe that’s the issue lol. Here the cabelas roto molded ones are better and cheaper. I bought a high end igloo and it’s pretty good to.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a company out of Calgary making pretty cool coolers. Can’t think of the name but seen them of Facebook a couple times. I will see if I can find them

Travco28

Reaction score
I have a couple Engle coolers and love them . They hold ice for two to three times longer then regular Coleman Extreme. Especially noticeable in really hot weather. I used to have to go buy ice every second day to keep things cold . But now go 5 `10 days if you dont go in and out to often and keep in the shade .
I find the drink cooler will hold ice 3-4 days when your in and out alot. And then there is always that friend that does not latch it . I think over the 10 years i have had them , they have paid for themselves in not haveing to go by ice as much . Also good for your food not freezing in winter .
One trick is to put a couple frozen water jugs in them a couple hours before you pack your drinks , food , ect. Cool them down then load . They are on the heavy side .
I just bought a Kailani cooler . looks well built will compare how they perform next to the Engle this summer .
There used to be a store called Under Water Kinetics in Edmonton that sold Engle and Yeti for very good prices . I think they might not be around anymore.
I went hunting up in the mountains for a week with a buddy who has only regular coolers . I made him put his frozen meat and stuff in my Engle cooler from his regular, before we headed into the hills . Truck was parked in the shade . Cool September nights . All the meat was still frozen 5 days later when we got back to the truck
Soft frozen but still ice . Now he has the same coolers .
I cant go back to the regular colemans .

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 4 yetis. Biggest one is a 105L. I use them on the boat, when travelling and for brining turkeys. I’ve been journeyman refrigeration mechanic for 18 years so been in the cooling/Refrig game a while. The yeti stuff is good but heavy. Are they worth the money? In my opinion….no. I had an igloo 110L I used for salmon fishing and it was awesome and light. I lost the middle lid for it and it wasn’t worth replacing. But that igloo, pelican, or Kilani is a pretty good bang for your buck. Any cooler runs into problems when your constantly opening the lid. I don’t treat my yetis like gold either. But the price on them is rediculus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom