yeti vs timbersled review?

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Production yeti been on the snow for a bit now. I haven't had a chance to try one yet. Any good comparisons out there from guys who have ridden both. What does one do better/not as good etc. Nice to see some competition for TS to keep their game up, curious as to whether the extra cost of yeti is worth it. Any belt/alignment problems? Hoping to get a set up for next yr. Thanks in advance

Husaberg76

Reaction score
Have the yeti 129 setup on a 350. Its light, agile and the construction of the kit is the Ferrari of all snowbikes. That front ski has excellent control and no belt issues. Just have to keep an eye on snow build-up in the drive case. Is it worth the xtra $$$ ? You betcha

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told with a new yz 450 big bored and turboed or the big Ktm bb and turboed with a 137 or 139 track they have been working well.. Comes with electric start, bar heaters, and motor work for just over 30 grand for the yeti.. And 150hp

Then got told by someone else every 50 hrs Refresh is needed..

not it sure if it's my game, but would love to ride one soon to see if it is

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told with a new yz 450 big bored and turboed or the big Ktm bb and turboed with a 137 or 139 track they have been working well.. Comes with electric start, bar heaters, and motor work for just over 30 grand for the yeti.. And 150hp

Then got told by someone else every 50 hrs Refresh is needed..

not it sure if it's my game, but would love to ride one soon to see if it is

I know on my 450 after 24 hours you're required to set valve valves etc. Wouldn't surprise me @ 50 hours if it needed a refresh being turboed.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know on my 450 after 24 hours you're required to set valve valves etc. Wouldn't surprise me @ 50 hours if it needed a refresh being turboed.

Why would you need to adjust the valves..? Not denying it but what would be the reason.
I have had a KTM thumper for years and never adjusted the valves. What would happen if you didn't adjust them.
Not a mechanic but ...

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4stroke motocross bikes need the valves adjusted much more frequently than a trail bike because they are higher hp and tighter tolerances

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you need to adjust the valves..? Not denying it but what would be the reason.
I have had a KTM thumper for years and never adjusted the valves. What would happen if you didn't adjust them.
Not a mechanic but ...

You will notice a harder time starting, when the valves are out of spec .
I don't think you will cause any damage unless they get really tight.
Expect a Performance reduction if they do go out of spec.
it's easy to check, however harder to adjust .
i had CRF 250x and ran it hard. Checked valve clearance at recommended interval, hadn't moved from spec.
Some engines require valve shimming regularly , some never do .

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there anything the TS does better???

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

makes a better door stop

Had a pretty well setup ktm 300 on a timbersled .. thought it was the cats meow, was loving life and having a great time on it ...but then I fell victim of trying a ktm 450 on a yeti .. 5 minutes into the ride i took my bike home, took it apart, sold the timber for a yeti and traded the 300 for a 450

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
makes a better door stop

Had a pretty well setup ktm 300 on a timbersled .. thought it was the cats meow, was loving life and having a great time on it ...but then I fell victim of trying a ktm 450 on a yeti .. 5 minutes into the ride i took my bike home, took it apart, sold the timber for a yeti and traded the 300 for a 450

That escalated quickly !

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one have anything to add to this thread from this season? Im looking into a bike for next year and wondering where to go. 500 XCW with a 137 yeti sounds like the answer but $$...

gmac

Reaction score
Or do you wait for a purpose built unit like the Arctic Cat? I am also interested and don't want to put it back to a dirt bike for the summer so I don't need the "throw away parts" from a conversion. I just want something that runs and is reliable.

jasonaa

Reaction score
KTM 450 XC-F feels light and nimble compared to the 500 KTM, fork angle?? Not sure. I will be ordering a 2017 Yeti 137, 2017 KTM XC-F 450 !!!!!!!!!! Unless you want to ride the bike on maintained roads ...the 500 has signal lights etc...IMO

jasonaa

Reaction score
P.S. I have had the chance to put on approx. 300km this year in the mountains on 500 KTM, YZ 450FX, Husqvarna 500...both Yeti and TS set ups...that's why I have decided to go with 450KTM and Yeti...!

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the funds - Yeti. I have put a bunch of time on both this season. I am going with a 120 Yeti on my 300 (now 330) for next year. The reduced rolling resistance of the Yeti is really noticable on a 2T. And picking up that rear end is soooooo much easier on an old guy with a bad back.

The 2017 TS is better than 2015 (I think 2016 was a step back) - but a lot of it is the shock valving. You can make a 2015 work just as well with a little shock valving - or replacing them with Fox Airs.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny in the sled world of 174 or nothing, 16" vs 15", any less is a short track, its funny to see how many ST, SX and short yetis/TS are out there. is keeping the track speed up more important that floatation? I noticed yeti doesn't offer the 146 in 2017 anymore. I thought I would have to get the 137 at least but sounds like I'm wrong?

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny in the sled world of 174 or nothing, 16" vs 15", any less is a short track, its funny to see how many ST, SX and short yetis/TS are out there. is keeping the track speed up more important that floatation? I noticed yeti doesn't offer the 146 in 2017 anymore. I thought I would have to get the 137 at least but sounds like I'm wrong?

All about track speed. the bike is 1/2 the weight of a sled

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buddy of mine bought a used TS kit this year that came with both 2.5" long track (and rail extensions) and a 2" short track. Rode it most of the winter with the LT, then changed it out to the ST just to see what the difference was. He's not going back to the long track. Short track gives him more track speed, wayyyyyy better handling, and not shifting nearly as much.

Top Bottom