Yamaha twin?

TGS

Reaction score
Has anyone heard rumours of Yammy coming out with a new, bigger, engine in the rhinos and grizzlys?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly anything anyone says right now is speculation. Yamaha has not released any updates or news as of today. even on their website they are showing the 2012 models with no change. I dont doubt for a second they have something up their sleeve, but seeing how they have so many lawsuits to deal with, right now might not be the time. who knows.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has always leaked their new stuff 2 years in advance, no leaks or prototypes means no new stuff for a while. Till the rhino suits are taken care of.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has always leaked their new stuff 2 years in advance, no leaks or prototypes means no new stuff for a while. Till the rhino suits are taken care of.
Not necessarily. The 2010 yz450f was kept under very tight wraps until a couple months before it hit the showroom floor. Hell I worked for factory yamaha racing at the time and we knew absolutely nothing until the public did. I heard something about a 950 v-twin rhino but its likely absolute heresay. Who knows?

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've also heard of the 950 v-twin. All speculation though, I'm holding out until they do something though... Damn rhino law suits....

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about that 1200 cc twin? I think thats what it was? with a harley davidson type seat? seen it on the cover of a DIRT WHEELS mag a few years back. who knows. don't all companies have lots of prototypes stored back in their factoies?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about that 1200 cc twin? I think thats what it was? with a harley davidson type seat? seen it on the cover of a DIRT WHEELS mag a few years back. who knows. don't all companies have lots of prototypes stored back in their factoies?

hahahaha look at the date......April it was an april fools joke. they do a "quad prototype" issue every april. this year they had one where they crossed a vinson with jet ski

Attachments

• 4x4_Vmax_1700_Quad.jpg
    4x4_Vmax_1700_Quad.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 143

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. I've also heard of kawi releasing an 850 and a 950. Every year we hear how every manufacturer is going to do something to blow everyone else out of the water.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard they were gonna put two 660`s in a rhino, will have close 65 HP when done........

That reminds me of a story I heard about Polaris recently regarding the design of the new 900XP. It seems that upon hearing rumors of BRP's upcoming Commander 1000 Polaris decided they immediately had to get something into production which could compete with it. They decided that the most cost-effective approach would be to take the existing 800 engine and simply add a third cylinder to make a 3-cylinder 1200cc engine. The plans were drawn up right away, but there was one snag in the process. The task of designing the cylinder heads was given to Jethro Jalmerson; a 61 year old engineer with a grade 3 education who apparently started out at Polaris in the early 80s sweeping floors and through the union system worked his way up to the engineering department. What was overlooked was the fact that old Jethro could only count to five (he of course could count to ten at one time but lost his right hand in a cooling fan accident while trying to fix an overheating 500 Sportsman a few years back), meaning that designing a 3-cylinder engine with two valves per cylinder was an impossible task for him. Doing the best he could, Jethro sent his design for a 3 cylinder engine but the third cylinder only had one valve, something which puzzled the design team but they went ahead nonetheless and designed a prototype engine anyways. After several attempts it was decided that the 3-cylinder, 5 valve engine was not workable and the project was sent back to the drawing board. This time, an ambitious young engineer named Shawn Crawford took the reigns and, deciding that it was time Polaris joined the twentieth century, went ahead and designed a three-cylinder engine using a modern, 4 valves per cylinder layout. He proudly sent his early sketches to the engine design team, who forwarded them to the head of the department in an attempt to avoid another embarrasing failure. The head of the department was horrified when he received the sketches, as he believed that using more than 4 total valves in an engine was an scientific impossibility and therefore a form of witchcraft. Shawn was immediately called to trial, found guilty and burned at the stake in front of Polaris' corporate headquarters. As a precaution, management decided that the entire engineering department could have been influenced by these wicked ways and called in Billy Graham to perform a mass-exorcism of all Polaris staff. A giant soundstage was needed for the event, and the chassis team was given the task of designing it. Not wanting to be bothered with this, the chassis team passed it off on the suspension team, who pawned it off on the plastics department, who snuck it over to the electronics guys, who finally shunted the project over to Larry Henderson; the guy who screws the valvestems on ATV wheels in the assembly plant. Larry used all of his knowledge and came up with a pretty impressive design, but made the mistake of having the chassis department order the steel for the girder construction. As is the usual for them, they ordered the steel from the lowest bidder they could find and ended up with sqaure tubing that was grossly under strength. The stage was built as per Larry's design, and promptly collapsed during the first rehearsal, killing 5 and injuring 5 more (Jethro Jalmerson is also the company safety investigator...so these numbers are estimates). The FBI was called in to investigate the catastrophe, but couldn't find anyone to question as it was a Friday afternoon and everyone at Polaris had gone home early. Management eventually decided to outsource the engine design for the new RZR and save the company any further embarrasment, and the new 900 Prostar was born!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of a story I heard about Polaris recently regarding the design of the new 900XP. It seems that upon hearing rumors of BRP's upcoming Commander 1000 Polaris decided they immediately had to get something into production which could compete with it. They decided that the most cost-effective approach would be to take the existing 800 engine and simply add a third cylinder to make a 3-cylinder 1200cc engine. The plans were drawn up right away, but there was one snag in the process. The task of designing the cylinder heads was given to Jethro Jalmerson; a 61 year old engineer with a grade 3 education who apparently started out at Polaris in the early 80s sweeping floors and through the union system worked his way up to the engineering department. What was overlooked was the fact that old Jethro could only count to five (he of course could count to ten at one time but lost his right hand in a cooling fan accident while trying to fix an overheating 500 Sportsman a few years back), meaning that designing a 3-cylinder engine with two valves per cylinder was an impossible task for him. Doing the best he could, Jethro sent his design for a 3 cylinder engine but the third cylinder only had one valve, something which puzzled the design team but they went ahead nonetheless and designed a prototype engine anyways. After several attempts it was decided that the 3-cylinder, 5 valve engine was not workable and the project was sent back to the drawing board. This time, an ambitious young engineer named Shawn Crawford took the reigns and, deciding that it was time Polaris joined the twentieth century, went ahead and designed a three-cylinder engine using a modern, 4 valves per cylinder layout. He proudly sent his early sketches to the engine design team, who forwarded them to the head of the department in an attempt to avoid another embarrasing failure. The head of the department was horrified when he received the sketches, as he believed that using more than 4 total valves in an engine was an scientific impossibility and therefore a form of witchcraft. Shawn was immediately called to trial, found guilty and burned at the stake in front of Polaris' corporate headquarters. As a precaution, management decided that the entire engineering department could have been influenced by these wicked ways and called in Billy Graham to perform a mass-exorcism of all Polaris staff. A giant soundstage was needed for the event, and the chassis team was given the task of designing it. Not wanting to be bothered with this, the chassis team passed it off on the suspension team, who pawned it off on the plastics department, who snuck it over to the electronics guys, who finally shunted the project over to Larry Henderson; the guy who screws the valvestems on ATV wheels in the assembly plant. Larry used all of his knowledge and came up with a pretty impressive design, but made the mistake of having the chassis department order the steel for the girder construction. As is the usual for them, they ordered the steel from the lowest bidder they could find and ended up with sqaure tubing that was grossly under strength. The stage was built as per Larry's design, and promptly collapsed during the first rehearsal, killing 5 and injuring 5 more (Jethro Jalmerson is also the company safety investigator...so these numbers are estimates). The FBI was called in to investigate the catastrophe, but couldn't find anyone to question as it was a Friday afternoon and everyone at Polaris had gone home early. Management eventually decided to outsource the engine design for the new RZR and save the company any further embarrasment, and the new 900 Prostar was born!

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thats even better.........................

who knew thats how po po 's are built......... well i guess it makes sense

Top Bottom