Ford 6.0 - run??

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a really good deal on a couple of 2004 f350s with 6.0s. The main one is in pretty decent shape with a ton of important upgrades, but only thing that wasnt done was head studs and it's using a bit of coolant. Has EGR delete, hpop, injectors, new springs and bilstein shocks, and a bunch of other stuff. Also comes with a second truck in worse shape, but has a built and deleted engine. If it could be made reliable with some head studs it would be the perfect truck for me. Worth it, or wait and hope the market softens enough to get into a 6.7?

Can get both trucks for 5k

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a really good deal on a couple of 2004 f350s with 6.0s. The main one is in pretty decent shape with a ton of important upgrades, but only thing that wasnt done was head studs and it's using a bit of coolant. Has EGR delete, hpop, injectors, new springs and bilstein shocks, and a bunch of other stuff. Also comes with a second truck in worse shape, but has a built and deleted engine. If it could be made reliable with some head studs it would be the perfect truck for me. Worth it, or wait and hope the market softens enough to get into a 6.7?

There’s a reason these things are 2500 a pop. Run away…

Maybe find a 12V or 24V Cummins with a decent shipping crate.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you can do the work decent deal and 6.0 are ok when all fixed up for what you would have in to it but if you had to take to a shop they would eat you alive.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're also about the easiest thing in the world to steal.

Like if your wanting a bunch of time away from the wife, it's probably a good buy, you'll spend pretty much every waking minute wrenching on the thing and have no time for her. But if she has access to your finances she'll find out what a money pit it is, and then you can listen to her nag at you for spending a pile of money on a piece of junk while you wrench on it, now doesn't that sound like fun?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For starters I bleed blue and I must say the sh*t liter and 6.4 have a bad name for a reason, I def agree with above advice of staying away.

However, going back to the bleed blue thing, 6ohs sound sooo good and make decent power. There is guys out there running 6ohs somewhat reliably. But they constantly need attention and even then might leave you stranded.

My dream is a 07 unmolested cclb 6 speed, or a similar setup 10 job 2 6.4. ( there’s a real good reason that dream will likely never come true though if you catch my drift lol)

I think you’d be able to find a decent 12+6.7 if you keep looking. I’ve noticed the used truck market is getting less gnarly. I’d say the next year or so save them pennies and you could pick up a nice 12 for 25-30.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck its self is bulletproof. I had a 06 as a welding rig. 240000km on it when I got rid of it. Never touched anything except the motor of course. Original front end everything. Wish I would have kept it and put a 6.7 in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FanaticalKilla

Reaction score
As a diesel mechanic, I know all their failure points. We all the updates, stocking or light tuning with egr deletes. These can be alright engines. They are maintenance hog's. They don't have the proper gearing to be an amazing tow rig. Oiling system is complex and a 50 cent o ring can cause a no start. If this doesn't scare you away. Feel free to have at it.

Any questions feel free to ask. I have plenty of experience on these and 6.4's.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a cheap buy-in price. If you are handy and can get a year out of them without spending much you're doing ok.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm back and forth, but leaning towards them. I love tinkering and have lots of time on my hands. Even if I use it as just my firewood truck......what kind of one ton can you buy for 2500?

Eventually I do want a 6.7 though

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For 4 or 5g you can get an old 1 ton or even bigger dump truck.

Could put way more fire wood in a dump truck

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wood truck!!

Attachments

• IMG_2104.jpeg
    IMG_2104.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom