2005 Powerstroke problem

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping some powerstroke guru's out there might have some advice for me. Here's some background info...I have a 2005 F350 6.0 diesel with 250,000km on the truck. A couple of months ago I went to have new injectors and ARP head studs put in but the engine would not hot start afterward. After much diagnosis it was decided to replace the engine with a 2006 model that had 60,000km less on it. This engine now has the following...

- EGR cooler delete
- 2 yr old turbo
- Turbo back 4" straight pipe
- K&N cold air kit
- New injectors
- ARP head studs.

My problem now is the MAF sensor is throwing a code that wasn't there with the old engine and cold air kit. I've cleaned it a couple times but no difference. It looks in good condition but I'm wondering if simply replacing with a new one may help. Also since replacing the engine the ABS light stays on. My reader doesn't read ABS codes and I haven't checked that out any further yet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Would like to have this solved before I put a tuner on to get some better mileage.

Thanks guys.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Replace the MAF and check to make sure the abs sensors are plugged in, just follow the wires from the hub to locate the connection.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auto enginuity, pc software that gets you all the codes, onboard diagnostic etc, it's reasonably priced as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Hate to break it to ya but the hot start problem on your old engine was probably just the high pressure oil system Orings. The injectors are powered by a high pressure oil pump and the system must meet at least 500psi to start. When the engines hot the oils thinner and will leak passed the O-rings that become hard and brittle over time. I bet your old engine was just fine.
Any luck on the MAF code?

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to break it to ya but the hot start problem on your old engine was probably just the high pressure oil system Orings. The injectors are powered by a high pressure oil pump and the system must meet at least 500psi to start. When the engines hot the oils thinner and will leak passed the O-rings that become hard and brittle over time. I bet your old engine was just fine.
Any luck on the MAF code?

X2, O-rings probably gone hard and loosing pressure or IPR partly plugged at screen.
This is quite common after doing injectors or work on the fuel system as in many cases a chunk of o-ring, old or new will break off and get caught up in the high pressure oil system. Eventually it can find its way to the IPR valve screen and plug it. Thus can create no start issues.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually fixed the HPOP problem in my nephews truck with a can of engine oil leak stop added to the oil. We were ready to bite the bullet and fix it then I thought why not... truck ran great for another 75000 km after that then he sold it. Must have swelled the o-rings just enough I guess.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+1 for leaky HPO system on old engine...250K is nothing for a 6.0L without a tune and with EGR delete....Don't suppose you kept the ole motor around?
As for the new engine and ABS issues.....I'd possibly look into a new mechanic!:rant:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+1 for leaky HPO system on old engine...250K is nothing for a 6.0L without a tune and with EGR delete....Don't suppose you kept the ole motor around?
As for the new engine and ABS issues.....I'd possibly look into a new mechanic!:rant:

Sounds to me somebody stole an engine...too bad.

aderry

Reaction score
Check the sensor on the rear diff, broke multiple times on my 6.0 causing the abs light to come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! I did find out it was a cracked branch tube causing the hot start issue, that is if you can believe a lazy no good for nothing piece of crap mechanic that likes to tell you how good is but can't prove it. On a good note...The truck was stolen in May and my insurance company paid out huge! Sorry Ford owners but that'll be the last Powerjoke I'll ever own.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! I did find out it was a cracked branch tube causing the hot start issue, that is if you can believe a lazy no good for nothing piece of crap mechanic that likes to tell you how good is but can't prove it. On a good note...The truck was stolen in May and my insurance company paid out huge! Sorry Ford owners but that'll be the last Powerjoke I'll ever own.

I'm surprised more 6.0L don't get "stolen" lol.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually the Fords with the 6.0 are the #1 stolen vehicle in North America....or so I'm told that's the reason why my insurance rates were so high. A good thief can be in and gone in 6 seconds. Anyone that owns a pre-emission diesel is a target, of any make.

Top Bottom