Yamaha Nytro Starting Relays

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So when my sleds warm it starts ok, when it's cold it's iffy. May need a boost. Then runs and starts good all day then on the truck for the way home and when we get home needs a boost again. Hmmm. Thinking this sounds like a battery I go grab a new battery through Summitric. Install that, turn the key, click, click goes the solonoid. Even with a boost I'm getting the same thing so I will grab one of those today. It's made by Jideco part MS5F-571, can't find much on google except for it's a yamaha part. Yamaha part number is 3EL-81940-02-00 Starter relay assembly. $33.49 usd. So I will grab one and replace and hopefully that fixes the problem. Looked up issues with this on totally yamaha as well. So I guess I have an extra battery, hopefully it fits my quad.

sledidiot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might be as simple as popping the relay out and putting it in your pocket for 5 minutes. have to do that to our rhinos when they are cold, trick is to get the nytro relay cause its better.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
On TY forums it actually says to warm it up with a hair blower. That would be a strange item to be in the backpack, lol. I found one relay at the dealer and I will get another when one comes in. Good to have on hand. This seems to be something that can fail that's common. If I own it and it has a chance it will fail it most likely will for me.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
On TY forums it actually says to warm it up with a hair blower. That would be a strange item to be in the backpack, lol. I found one relay at the dealer and I will get another when one comes in. Good to have on hand. This seems to be something that can fail that's common. If I own it and it has a chance it will fail it most likely will for me.

Duct tape the spare to your armpit when you ride.........

Apex162

Reaction score
I had to change my starter relay and was told they don't work below -20. I don't like the way it is designed on the Apex, electronics and wires facing upwards for a pool of water to short out - nice.

ICULOKIN

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my sled.Pulled the old relay apart and found it coroded inside.filled the connector on the new one with dielectric grease and all is good.:beer:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron take a screw driver and touch both posts with it and if it starts when cold thats the problem. I had to replace mine to was cheap to do and about 3 sec to change.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem on an Apex and Phazer. I have not heard that corrosion on the inside of the relay might be causing it. The relay on my 06 Apex went last year at about 4000kms. The relay on my '08 Phazer just went at 500kms (no it does not get ridden much).

I did not play with the Apex much I just bought two (one for a spare) and have not looked at it since. When the same thing happen on the Phazer I unplugged the top plug and found ice in there. Cleaned it up and put some dielectic grease in and it fired right up. Thought I had it fixed but when it's cold it still gives me intermittent grief. Maybe it is internal corrosion and I need to install a new one and grease the hell out of it. I think I need to relocate it or protect it from the elements.

I agree mounting it vertical contributes to the problem, maybe that's why it lasts longer on the Apex - it's located under the airbox, it's better protected from the elements.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I replaced it and turned the key, it started right away. Then shut down after a minute. Then tried again and click, click. Hmmm. So I checked the manual and manually tried to jump the starter and nothing. So I took my belly pan off checked the wire to the starter and that was fine. And I tapped the starter with a large screwdriver and turned the key and it turned over with ease. Then tried again and it was fine. Looks like I had a frozen starter. I'll make another thread on that. I burnt out the last solonoid, I tested it and it's not to spec at all.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you boost these sleds? Just bought one and making sure I am educated.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is they use a relay from a street bike. Not to cold weather freindly! Ive seen lots of problems with them.

4stroker

Reaction score
Have the same problem. Just moisture in the relay. haven't priced a new one, but just pop it out when i'm done and leave it where it will dry out...not too much heat or you will distort the contacts on the relay itself and then it will require replacement. I would imagine its pretty cheap, so carry an extra in a foam sealed case. Next year i am building a clear case to put over the relay bank, because as we know, if you ride the thing the way it should be ridden, the relay bank is ALWAYS covered in snow! Bah ha ha ha ha! Cheers
ps
If its finicky on the trail and you dont have another one, and you need to get home, just cycle the key from 'on' the 'start' quickly. 'click click click vroom'!

Top Bottom