XP track removal ?????

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Helping a buddy on his 600xp. We are changing the track out to a 2". Wondering how the drive shaft comes out????? We have removed the gears, and skid, but can't get the brake assembly off of the shaft. Is there something we are missing???? Any help would be great!!!!!

Dont let a polaris guy work on a DOO lol:nono:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's PIA to do, I suggest first popping out the plastic cap on the brake end of the driveshaft so you don't break it like I did the first time.

make sure the brake retainer is unbolted inside the tunnel, once unbolted it has to be turned slightly to unlock from the tunnel and it will slide onto the driveshaft.

push the brake assembly away from the tunnel and wedge something in between it and the tunnel. be sure you don't let the gear end of the driveshaft pound away at the chaincase, it must have room to move toward the case for the brake assy to come off. keep increasing the size of your wedges as you pound.

find something like a piece of wood to soften the blow and not distort the end of the shaft while you pound it out with a BFH.

also, make sure you are pounding straight so the brake assy comes off evenly and doesn't bind, the bearing will come off inside the brake assy if you do and it's a major pain to get out then....it must remain on the driveshaft.

good luck. :beer:

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that brake on the driveshaft deal is the killer....you will see that the bearing has rusted into the brake assembly, give 'er a quick cleanup with some emery cloth when you put it back together. maybe even a smear of coppercoat for the next poor soul that has to remove it.

ledoo

Reaction score
don't forget to remove brake pads and C clip on brake disk first and leave the C clip on the bottom gear on the chaincase side. 2 pry bars one on either side of the brake caliper
be sure to try to keep it square as u pry then remove the gear side C clip

just in case u r still having problems

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't forget to remove brake pads and C clip on brake disk first and leave the C clip on the bottom gear on the chaincase side. 2 pry bars one on either side of the brake caliper
be sure to try to keep it square as u pry then remove the gear side C clip

just in case u r still having problems
good call, I assumed the brake caliper and disc were out of the way already. my bad

Top Bottom