Xm belt life

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how hot are your clutches. My 137 freeride is lucky to see 300 km to a belt. My xm 163 cords them at around 4-500 km. the clutches are so hot you could almost light a smoke off them. I could vent the sleds but that's a bandaid not the fix. I've spent 1200 on belts this year so far. I play in the trees lots in revy and my freeride is ridden on groomed trails and any open fields and ditches I can find that have no tracks on them. The clutches have been apart once and the alignment checked good. I have heard the 377 belt holds up better to high temps. Has anyone run this belt on there xm. I would like to hear from guys who shred hard like me how there belts/clutches are. Do they all get scorching hot like mine ?

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how hot are your clutches. My 137 freeride is lucky to see 300 km to a belt. My xm 163 cords them at around 4-500 km. the clutches are so hot you could almost light a smoke off them. I could vent the sleds but that's a bandaid not the fix. I've spent 1200 on belts this year so far. I play in the trees lots in revy and my freeride is ridden on groomed trails and any open fields and ditches I can find that have no tracks on them. The clutches have been apart once and the alignment checked good. I have heard the 377 belt holds up better to high temps. Has anyone run this belt on there xm. I would like to hear from guys who shred hard like me how there belts/clutches are. Do they all get scorching hot like mine ?
Call Deano at mad motorsports........ His clutching is the c0ck for dolly....... I did a partial mod rods vent kit as well but it wasn't needed. The primary shim kit really opened my eyes.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow.....thats not something we are hearing about on the XM's. If your alignment is good and the clutches are up to snuff I don't have an answer for you. Still running the stock belt cover because they actually work?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, I have 800 hard km on mine, belt still looks new

Haven't even adjusted the secondary for height yet

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Wow.....thats not something we are hearing about on the XM's. If your alignment is good and the clutches are up to snuff I don't have an answer for you. Still running the stock belt cover because they actually work?

myself also Sno Pro,,,,,,, Just turned 1800km and have original belt on.
Changed deflection quit a-bit, but that depends on the day
Rental sleds are seeing the good KM,s as well...
The renters that leave the brakes on!!!!!! Not so much.
Mark and I ride and pull hard as you know!
This seems to be an isolated problem, but will wait for other posts........
I have saved more money in fuel, oil, and belts in two years with the XM..... gotta love it...

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1000 hard miles so far this year and two xms traded in last year with original belts both with over 3000kms on each

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013 XM has 2660km on it. Finally retired the belt after the last ride. It was missing the outer string for about 6" on one side. Stock clutching for first 1700km or so, then Roosterbuilt clutch kit.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you might want to try a salad next time...jus sayin'.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1700km, stock belt, 13XMX 163, clicker 3, stock clutching, adjusted secondary height once.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got 2000k on my 2014 freeride, 1st belt, think ill switch it out soon tho.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird. Snow and mud riders don't need spare belts. I googled and there's tons of forums on xm exteme clutch heat and blowing belts. Even more than cat or poo. Going to take mine to deano I guess

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get 500-1000 km per belt... Then again i have a turbo so.. the games a bit different. are you breaking your belts in?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird. Snow and mud riders don't need spare belts. I googled and there's tons of forums on xm exteme clutch heat and blowing belts. Even more than cat or poo.

oh my clutches are always smokin hot. but ive never blown a belt in any XM ive owned. or XP for that matter. but i never had a 2008.

also. we dont ride as hard over here as other forums. just talk like we do.

Damila

Reaction score
I have 580 km belt still looks new but I have pre filter kit on front of my sled and I think that from being clogged with snow it contributes too more heat inside, good thing is no snow is getting adding weight but air flow I think is limited. If you have pre filter maybe try couple day without it on. If you ride hard I would vent better for sure! Sounds like maybe alignment issue also or clutch ...... hope you figure it out! To much money to be spending on belts for sure.... good luck!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So frustrated. Turns out both my xm were Friday sleds. Tps issue. Rave sticking on freeride. No Rave nutz on xm at all. Exhaust temp sensors out of calibration. And a few more small issues. The both had a reflash. So due to all the things I listed they were not making power and in a type of limp mode. That explains why im on click 5 and everyone else 2 or 3. Also explains the 7 belts eaten btween the 2 sleds in only 1700 km combined. So pissed cause my 13 xm was a toilet and also had running issues. It was weak and I dropped it of at the dealer after every ride. Fuel pumps. Tps. Sensors ect. Bad luck or what. Guess I shoulda stayed on boosted nytros.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So frustrated. Turns out both my xm were Friday sleds. Tps issue. Rave sticking on freeride. No Rave nutz on xm at all. Exhaust temp sensors out of calibration. And a few more small issues. The both had a reflash. So due to all the things I listed they were not making power and in a type of limp mode. That explains why im on click 5 and everyone else 2 or 3. Also explains the 7 belts eaten btween the 2 sleds in only 1700 km combined. So pissed cause my 13 xm was a toilet and also had running issues. It was weak and I dropped it of at the dealer after every ride. Fuel pumps. Tps. Sensors ect. Bad luck or what. Guess I shoulda stayed on boosted nytros.

I hear those new Polaris are sick for at least 1500 miles.

As far as the belts moisture is a killer aswell. More so than heat. Perhaps since I've been running te brp filter kit I'm having better luck engine bay temps might be hotter but it's dry as he'll in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Top Bottom