WTF snow tire

Summit 1000

Reaction score
U guys are confused on the laws Winter tires with the snowflake or all seasons with a m&s rating are all fine and won't get u a ticket. A low profile with 1/8 tread and 20s is what is the law was brought in for

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was curious how much the colision rate dropped in Quebec since they went mandentory winter tires. It has gone down 18%. I wonder if they implemented a bald tire but driver training law in Alberta if collisions would go down? At least by the sounds of some guys on here there vehicles will be ready. As sledders we all get tired of being told what to do and where to do it,and all we need is more laws,but when I read some of these posts bragging about how they are better drivers on bald tires then everyone else,well I guess you can't fix stupid but at least make them put winter tires on.

RMKJEFF

Reaction score
Lol yea right i dont know about yours but if i let my sara drive i dont think i would make it to the hills alive.

P.S this guy speaks really well for a douche..... Good for you Jeff

Lol, why am I a douche? I was just trying to make a point dude. The highway to whistler is one of the most dangerous highways in Canada, if not the most. The temperature varies greatly, one day it will snow 30 cm. The next day it can rain, and make the roads really icy and slick. Ive tried driving my SUV with all season tires on this highway, and even at 20 kmh under the speed limit I was fishtailing around almost every corner during icy conditions, it wasn't a HUGE deal... But was pretty nerve racking.
I put winter tires on it, and had zero issue after that.
I admit driving skill and experience are big factors. Imagine if Micheal Schumaker was driving his F1 car in wet conditions with slicks on... Could he make it around the track? I'm sure that he could. Would he drive as well as the other drivers equipped with rain tires? No he wouldn't, not even close. Would his probability to have an accident be much higher? Of course it would.
Winter tires are designed with the proper voids to channel away snow and water, I'm sure we have all hydroplaned before. The reasoning for this is that the tire does not have the proper channels to keep the water away from the tread block, then water and snow builds up between the tread block and the pavement, which leads to a loss of traction. Being the best driver in the world, is not going to change that!!! I'm stating facts here.
Why would you not want to have your truck riding on tires that are PROVEN to make your truck perform better in every possible way? Again, this is not my personal opinion, these are FACTS.
I feel like I'm having an argument with handicapped children.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, why am I a douche? I was just trying to make a point dude. The highway to whistler is one of the most dangerous highways in Canada, if not the most. The temperature varies greatly, one day it will snow 30 cm. The next day it can rain, and make the roads really icy and slick. Ive tried driving my SUV with all season tires on this highway, and even at 20 kmh under the speed limit I was fishtailing around almost every corner during icy conditions, it wasn't a HUGE deal... But was pretty nerve racking.
I put winter tires on it, and had zero issue after that.
I admit driving skill and experience are big factors. Imagine if Micheal Schumaker was driving his F1 car in wet conditions with slicks on... Could he make it around the track? I'm sure that he could. Would he drive as well as the other drivers equipped with rain tires? No he wouldn't, not even close. Would his probability to have an accident be much higher? Of course it would.
Winter tires are designed with the proper voids to channel away snow and water, I'm sure we have all hydroplaned before. The reasoning for this is that the tire does not have the proper channels to keep the water away from the tread block, then water and snow builds up between the tread block and the pavement, which leads to a loss of traction. Being the best driver in the world, is not going to change that!!! I'm stating facts here.
Why would you not want to have your truck riding on tires that are PROVEN to make your truck perform better in every possible way? Again, this is not my personal opinion, these are FACTS.
I feel like I'm having an argument with handicapped children.
It's great to hear that u aren't having a problem with your new tires but like I said earlier u need to drive to the conditions u are on I have carried chains for years beause sometimes I have slid around when I don't like it. I've been going through the mountains for years but the one thing u have over me is experiance in the mountains so i'm sure u have seen your share of differant conditions and differant drivers and yes tires do make a differance but were I live I have no problems at all and when I come to BC I have chains to help me when I need them. The part that piss me off is the goverment steps in to control all the idiot drivers that cause the accidents, so the tires they bring out help us but the peaple with no common sense keep on driving to fast because the tires do help but they think they are driving in the summer so the don't use common sense. My tires work very well for me wear I drive 99% of the time and when I go to BC I carry chains. The things that piss me off is that when they had a spot check this spring and the highways were bone dry they stop the sledders from out of province and passed out some big tickets instead of warnings to my Knowledge they were they didn't pull any cars over so this is what pissed me off u guys depend on the sledders from other provinces to help your econamy so when the police pick on us only this piss's me of . not weather u have winter tires on

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I get tire chains do I need them for all 4 wheels or just the rear? I would think just 2 would suffice but does anyone know for sure? Vehicle is a new Dodge Ram 4x4 with Goodyear Wrangler M&S tires (no snowflake on them).

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure, you drove around on all seasons for the last 30 years.

Are you still riding an 86 tundra 440? Why are you willing to accept new tech in sleds, but not tires. I betcha they've changed some things since you first dismissed snow tires...

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure, you drove around on all seasons for the last 30 years.

Are you still riding an 86 tundra 440? Why are you willing to accept new tech in sleds, but not tires. I betcha they've changed some things since you first dismissed snow tires...
and why are u so stuck on winter tires u get better by experience not by just a set of tires. So I guese by what u are saying if u have a set of winter tires on, your the best driver on the road. Know I will put a set of snow and mud tires on my truck when the set of tires are finished on my truck not because. I find it a waste of money to just change my tires when they work fine for me. YES I have seen how winter tires work because a friend of mine has a set on his truck and he drives like it's summertime and it makes me nervace. So yes I agree they will help me when I get them but the one's I have work fine and yes I told my friend he was driving a little agresive for the conditions but all he said was the tires work great and he's not driving to fast but in my eyes he was, so like i've said before is drive to the conditions u are on not because u have better traction. Know I don't drive like gradma but I don't drive like a idiot and in my business i'm on winter roads all day so I get lots of practice. chow

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
problem is pipes. that in bc we have a different climate then you have in bonnyville. we dont get the dry blowing snow. we get a lot of wet icy snow. and them rugged ta's you have are terrible here. the other thing is the quality of the tires you buy!! get top end product and you'll see a big difference. here's a tip when buying tires. go look whats on the salesmans truck. if theres toyo on all there trucks good chance toyo's are great tire for your area. personally i dont pay for tires and ive tried just about every brand out there. its my job to know the products i sell. and i wouldnt run the bc mtns on all season tires

Oh I agree with you that your climate is different. I'm just saying that I didn't see a noticeable difference between the the Goodyear Ultra grip WRT's and The Goodyear Silent Armour. I fully agree with you that the Rugged Trails are horrible in the winter.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U guys are confused on the laws Winter tires with the snowflake or all seasons with a m&s rating are all fine and won't get u a ticket. A low profile with 1/8 tread and 20s is what is the law was brought in for

The Rugged Trails had neither.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure see alot of people running Bf mud terrains and Toyo Mud terrains in the winter. Sure seem to work good in winter from all the reviews I read. Lots of folks I know say they work excellent in winter time too.
Someone mentioned before the snowflake symbol was just an excelleration and braking test which proved they were a little better than other tires. As far as ice goes I think any tire will slide on it unless it's studded, so drive a little slower . It isn't summer.

Top Bottom