Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
qpDate.gif

Motor Vehicle Act [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 318
Part 3

Safety equipment:

208 (1) For the purpose of this section, "winter tire" means a tire that is
(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and
(b) in the condition respecting tread wear and other particulars the regulations prescribe.
(2) The minister responsible for the administration of the Transportation Act may, by public notice or by placing signs, prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with chains, winter tires or sanding devices, or a combination of these the minister considers adequate and necessary in view of prevailing road conditions.
(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire.

If this makes any sense...:rolleyes:

I've had the Tete Jaune Cache (Valemont, BC.) scales stop me just to see if I had tire chains. They definately look for this on the commercial side of things.

If you want the full meal deal, enjoy.... http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bc...icle Act RSBC 1996 c. 318/00_Act/96318_00.htm

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running all seasons for the past 30 years up until last winter. Never had any issues in the winter.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running all seasons for the past 30 years up until last winter. Never had any issues in the winter.

Many people get away with all seasons, but they are a compromise. Plain and simple. There are better tires for summer and much better available for winter. Whether or not you've had issues does not change the fact that if you do have an "issue" in an area that is signed to use chains or winter tires, you can be held liable.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think winter rated tires should become law in AB and BC. Huge difference between winters and all season. We put studded Cooper Discoverer M+S on all of our trucks and SUV for the winter. I never need to run in 4WD on icy highways.

002-2.jpg

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should take this one step father, a group of vigilante BC citizens should stop all vehicles at the border and beat the crap out of the ones who are to cheap or egotistical to have proper winter tires.

Its OUR families and friends that your endangering. We all have seen the accidents, sat in the lineups for hours because some a$$hole felt he was fine with allseason tires because he is a "good" driver.

Stop being an idiot and put the proper tires on. If your on this website you can afford some pretty pricey toys, if that is your priority over proper winter tires, your a dumbass and not welcome around me.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should take this one step father, a group of vigilante BC citizens should stop all vehicles at the border and beat the crap out of the ones who are to cheap or egotistical to have proper winter tires.

Its OUR families and friends that your endangering. We all have seen the accidents, sat in the lineups for hours because some a$$hole felt he was fine with allseason tires because he is a "good" driver.

Stop being an idiot and put the proper tires on. If your on this website you can afford some pretty pricey toys, if that is your priority over proper winter tires, your a dumbass and not welcome around me.

Yeah it's only out of province guys who who drive with crap tires and wreck your favorite riding areas.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went sledding Friday, 4 trucks were out. The drive down the road was that type of snow you can step on, consolidates and ices right up... Let me say I was real glad my truck had a dedicated winter tire on it.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of u guys that say that winter tires should be a law should more look at the drivers out their first. It's the same as when they brought out 4 wheel drive everything, the idiots who drive these vehacles think they can stop on a dime on icey conditions. Common sense is drive to the condition your on and how come all season tires where out for 30 plus years and now they aren't wherth ch!t to every else idea. I've had it happen to often that vehicals are passing me in the mountains when the road conditions are poor to bad conditions and then farther down the road is this a-hole is in the ditch or he caused a accident,so whos at fault the tires or the driver. I started to drive when all their was was biose ply tire or studded tiers for the winter but your front tires wern't studded and we could slill stop our cars. I see the best way to stop these stupid accidents is use a little common sense because just like all the 4 wheel drive vehicals we have and the peaple think they can stop faster no matter how fast they drive with winter tires it will also give peaple a false sense of security and so they will start to drive to fast for the conditions. Yes winter tires do stop faster under normal driving conditions but when these assholes are passing me in the mountains and a lot of them have BC plates on the cars so they do have winter tires on and do u think this will help them stop any faster. So to the guys who have winter tires I hope we all drive with some common sense and we all get home in one piece.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your on this website you can afford some pretty pricey toys, if that is your priority over proper winter tires, your a dumbass and not welcome around me.

Ok, you lost me. How the he!! does being on this forum mean we can "afford some pretty pricey toys" ??

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would trust some guys driving with bald tires way more than others with winter and studded tires.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X-it;1271501I would trust some guys driving with bald tires way more than others with winter and studded tires.[/QUOTE said:
I would rather just stay home than ride with anybody with bald tires going through the mountains with either a trailer or a sled deck.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of u guys that say that winter tires should be a law should more look at the drivers out their first. It's the same as when they brought out 4 wheel drive everything, the idiots who drive these vehacles think they can stop on a dime on icey conditions. Common sense is drive to the condition your on and how come all season tires where out for 30 plus years and now they aren't wherth ch!t to every else idea. I've had it happen to often that vehicals are passing me in the mountains when the road conditions are poor to bad conditions and then farther down the road is this a-hole is in the ditch or he caused a accident,so whos at fault the tires or the driver. I started to drive when all their was was biose ply tire or studded tiers for the winter but your front tires wern't studded and we could slill stop our cars. I see the best way to stop these stupid accidents is use a little common sense because just like all the 4 wheel drive vehicals we have and the peaple think they can stop faster no matter how fast they drive with winter tires it will also give peaple a false sense of security and so they will start to drive to fast for the conditions. Yes winter tires do stop faster under normal driving conditions but when these assholes are passing me in the mountains and a lot of them have BC plates on the cars so they do have winter tires on and do u think this will help them stop any faster. So to the guys who have winter tires I hope we all drive with some common sense and we all get home in one piece.

Barry you need to try some winter tires!!!!! Tires have come along way over the years, winter tires are night and day to a all season tire. I am most likely the ass that passes you in the mountians (BECAUSE I HAVE WINTER TIRES) and there is fresh pow to be smashed. I will sell you a set at cost and install them on your truck for ya as I own a OK Tire store, and then you can drive safe to the mountians. Call anytime 780-963-0080 Chris.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Barry you need to try some winter tires!!!!! Tires have come along way over the years, winter tires are night and day to a all season tire. I am most likely the ass that passes you in the mountians (BECAUSE I HAVE WINTER TIRES) and there is fresh pow to be smashed. I will sell you a set at cost and install them on your truck for ya as I own a OK Tire store, and then you can drive safe to the mountians. Call anytime 780-963-0080 Chris.

I own a Fountain Tire so if chris's tires suck I can sell you some great winter tires. Ian 780-466-0606. stir the pot. He's right, you need to drive on some modern winter tires, not some bias ply studded winter tires your had on your 65 dodge.

You guys are hilarious :) Thanks for the laugh :beer:

Winter tires especially when studded are truely the way to go. I put them on my wifes van last yr and she loves it. But her driving style compared to mine are like day and nite. 26yrs of accident free trucking might have something to do with it (me, not her - lol). I run all season on my dually and put the same set on this year as well. That's my choice and nobody elses. Some of these comments are alittle over board but thats the pleasures of an open forum, to vent...so be it. Yes I can afford winter tires for my dually at a cost of $2000 or more for six. Over $5000 for tires on my big truck. A cool $1000 for holiday trailer tires and around the same on the van. Buying tires is nothing new to me. Afterall, money grows on trees...right? I realize BC has to implement alot of these rules do to the terrain of the province. Conditions change rapidly to say the least. I love BC, it's a very beautiful place. The problem has allready shown it's ugly head on this thread. Winter tires and 4x4 don't make one invincible tho some seem to think that way and it scares the hell out of me. I know the mentality of drivers out there, I see it every day :( So please take care and drive to the conditions at hand.

Last edited:

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, 4WD gives people a false sense of security. When you lose control in 4WD, its usually bad because you are going way too fast for the conditions. I always buy winter tires so I can drive comfortably in 2wd. Saves alot of unnecessary wear and tear on the truck too. Each to their own, just alot of accidents and wasted tax money could be avoided with good winter tires. I agree alot of drivers can get by with all seasons, but many cant. Perfect example, go for a drive between Red Deer and Calgary after a snow storm. :rolleyes:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I agree, 4WD gives people a false sense of security. When you lose control in 4WD, its usually bad because you are going way too fast for the conditions. I always buy winter tires so I can drive comfortably in 2wd. Saves alot of unnecessary wear and tear on the truck too. Each to their own, just alot of accidents and wasted tax money could be avoided with good winter tires. I agree alot of drivers can get by with all seasons, but many cant. Perfect example, go for a drive between Red Deer and Calgary after a snow storm. :rolleyes:

It can be in the middle of July and +25 and the fuggers are upside down in the ditch :rant:

RMKJEFF

Reaction score
Lol, this shouldn't have even had to be made into a law, this is common sense. It takes thousands of accidents and hundreds of deaths sometimes for a law to be passed, that shouldn't even have had to be passed in the first place, for people who are absolutely oblivious to reason. Maybe snow and ice is less slick and slippery where some of you live. Where I'm from, snow and ice makes cars and trucks slide out, hence the need for...wait for it..... A WINTER TIRE!!!!!!
Dude, it's not "WTF, snow tire". It's "WTF, why don't you have a snow tire". Educate yourself man.

My 2 pennies

Last edited:

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope it's not u chris passing me in the mountains because i'm the one hows usually doing the speed limit and like a said tires do help but common sense works better.

Top Bottom