WTB first mountain sled

t-bomb

Reaction score
Hey I'm in the market for my first mountain sled. I have rode sleds for 15yrs in Thunder Bay area and they were all 121 ditch bangers. I have been out in calgary for the last 7 yrs. I have always wanted to go ride the mountains so last year I borrowed a buddies 05 900 RMK 166 last year and went to sicamous. It was wicked but found the sledding in deep powder is a lot harder that it looks plus I have been out of it for a while so I was some rusty (day 2 better that day 1).

I am hours away from walking down to buy a new machine because i cant find any good used ones.

I was thinking the 2010 assault looks like it would be good but i am concerned with the length and style of track would not be a good fit for golden revy and sicamous. I don't want a dragon because I comes with air spring walker evens shocks and I hear bad things about air shocks when taking a pounding.

I have sorta settled on the Polaris because I have owned alot, it FI, 2 stroke..the other options would be a RMK 800 155 or maybe a cat (can't belive I said that).

is there any one out there riding a 146 assault in powder?

any help I want to buy one today????? and I don't want to drop 14K and find out I'm stuck all the time.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I got out of sledding and ditch banging years ago myself and just got back into here in Calgary. I did my homework before buying a new sled and after the engine concerns learned about recent Cat/Polaris motors, I have decided to go with a Yamaha.

If it wouldn't have been a Yamaha 4 Stroke it would have been a Doo for me as they're great sleds as well. If you're looking at Polaris as I was at first, do your homework on the motors as they have had recalls on heads, pistons, and some sled owners have had as many as 4 motors and 4 maps over a season, and that has the sled in the shop more than on the snow.

Just some sound advice for ya....take a good look around!

By the way, you can pick up an 09 Nytro MTX at Walt Healy for 10,700.00 if they have any left. Pretty good buy on a reliable 130hp sled.

skrat

Reaction score
There is a 2008 Dragon 8 in the classifieds. The IQ Raw chassis is light years ahead of the IQ 900 you rode. I have a RMK7 and, other than an IQR mountain conversion, like it the best of all that I have rode.

Make sure the sled is well maintained. The condition of the sled is more important than the brand. All the brands are good.

t-bomb

Reaction score
Ya I saw that one in the classifided. I kinda looking at new now for some reason.

Assault146 or RMK155....not drag because i don't want air shocks they cant take a pounding. I don't want a four stroke just yet. i understand that they are/should be more reliable but when and if the melt down the bill is huge for rebuild.

I am 5'11" 230 and very hard on equipment, I have cracked rails on my prox 440 banging it hard on the woops and jumping it. Also kind of enjoyed the ride in and out of the play area when it wasn't groomed. Thats why I think i would like the assault. But everyone says the track trenches and doesn't work in pow. I think that I would ride it some (but very little if there is snow) around calgary and north of edmonton so that is another reason for the assault.

The guys I would ride with have 05 900 RMk 151, 04 800 RMK 159, 09 drag 800 155, 05 rmk 900 166 and a 09 nitro mtx and 05 900 144.

If i look at the overall length the 155 RMK is only 3" longer so really how much better can it be?

I guess there is the ski stance 39-40-41 on the RMK and 41.5-42.5-43.5 for the assault. not sure how that will effect anything?

I see alot of guys who are putting 146 5.1 tracks on or 155" on the assault. Doesn't make sense unless they weren't happy with the performance.

Man I am so close to going to buy the assault but I don't want to make a mistake because it basically is the most expensive polaris

t-bomb

Reaction score
How much would that be? That is another is 146 is "odd" so im sure that it would be more. plus the hassel of changing it out.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The group I ride with is varied. Everything except Yamahas. There is no junk on the market now. Whatever you buy will be good if it's new. As mentioned before, the track makes the biggest difference.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode polaris for years and decided to try a cat and was very pleased with
it's ride. I rode a 05 900rmk for 3 years and found the cat a easier ride.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go have a look at cat if your guna buy new you will be impressed with the 2010 M8's. They seem to be cleaning up in the mtns destroying just about every stock sled out there.....i belive they go for around $12800+(depending if you want snopro) somewhere in that ballpark.(just a very rough price im not lookin to get flamed over this)

If your goin to spend the money on a new machine look at ALL of them dont be narrow minded. I guarantee you if you have a look at the 2010 m8 you will be impressed everyone seems to LOVE THEM.

:beer::beer:

deathtoll

Reaction score
yeah like dez sead get a M sled i got to ride a 07 m8 last year and it was sweet lots of power it will make your balls hit the walls plus the 09 m8's are
20 pounds lighter and comes with a boss like seat i seen one in BandF sales there sweet go cat

Hudson_M1000

Reaction score
I've been ridin sleds most of my life but only got into the serious mountain riding a few years ago. On the Assault you would be changing the track right off the hop. They use a track more for trail or slightly packed snow. My buddy works for Parkland sled in red deer they sell there sleds at cost.He's here on S&M his name is Waka. pm him if you like. Its a great place to deal. I ride a Cat M1000 Sno Pro 153 and i love it. The floatation in the powder , combined with the power is wicked. I researched and rode all the sleds before i decided on which one to buy. The new 2010 M8 cat is a wild machine as well , if you want a little lighter sled and less torque.The Dragon 155 would be my 3 choice unless I had the cash to buy a Nytro with a turbo. I'm not a Doo kinda guy. Best place in alberta to deal on a Cat is Don's speed Parts in Wainright Ask for Shane Fornwald.

INSTGUY

Reaction score
Hey I'm in the market for my first mountain sled. I have rode sleds for 15yrs in Thunder Bay area and they were all 121 ditch bangers. I have been out in calgary for the last 7 yrs. I have always wanted to go ride the mountains so last year I borrowed a buddies 05 900 RMK 166 last year and went to sicamous. It was wicked but found the sledding in deep powder is a lot harder that it looks plus I have been out of it for a while so I was some rusty (day 2 better that day 1).

I am hours away from walking down to buy a new machine because i cant find any good used ones.

I was thinking the 2010 assault looks like it would be good but i am concerned with the length and style of track would not be a good fit for golden revy and sicamous. I don't want a dragon because I comes with air spring walker evens shocks and I hear bad things about air shocks when taking a pounding.

I have sorta settled on the Polaris because I have owned alot, it FI, 2 stroke..the other options would be a RMK 800 155 or maybe a cat (can't belive I said that).

is there any one out there riding a 146 assault in powder?

any help I want to buy one today????? and I don't want to drop 14K and find out I'm stuck all the time.

Go arctic cat....through all the years of riding Cats...all other manufacturers have had lots of boat anchors....I ride a modified M1000...but I would strongly recommend a M8 with atleast a 152" track...you will not be unhappy....the ski-doo xp is also decent but the light chassis jeopardizes a lot of strength....once you go Cat you never go back....guaranteed...very few new 08 and 09 models left for awesome deals...good luck!!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
It really comes down to what you want the sled for. The Assault is a back country/hill climb sled hence the stiffer duro track, different shocks and suspension reinforcements. It is meant to take big hits and drops, climb over rocks, downed trees, etc. The same with the Arctic Cat HCR. These sled also have both wider front ends for stability, and as I mentioned before are heavier sleds meant to take abuse. If you want a light wieght mountain sled for carving endless miles of powder then the standard RMK or M series mountain sleds are the way to go.

t-bomb

Reaction score
Well lets just say that I have looked closely at them all and went and bought a 2010 Assault yesterday. I may find I need a powder track but well see.

Thanks to everyone and hope to see you all in the mountains

t-bomb

Reaction score
I did look at the 2010 M8, It cost more and one of the guys my bud knows just bought one and melted it down on the trail befor he got in the mountains. He choked because you drive 4 hrs and then turn a round and bring you brand new machine for rebuild day1..I hope Polaris has the 800 figured out now with all the updates (they should, yr 3 for it unlike yr 1 for cats new 800).

I didn't want a fourstroke so Yamahauler is out and the doo still has a choke and carbs. the throddle is stiff. I don't understand why they don't FI the summit??? I would have seriously considered it.

see you out there...can't wait

brraaappp

Top Bottom