Winter Tires

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a new set of winter tires for my Diesel next year. What are you guys running any suggestions of what works for those BC highways and staging areas? Pull trailers and haul sleds decks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duratrac are pretty good. Mind you I am only running them on a half ton.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Only beef I have with duratracs are the fuel mileage if a person cares or not. Put them on my 1500 chev and fuel mileage dropped a lot. They are soft also.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My studded Nokian Hakk’s are good on the highway on my F350. The ones on my wife’s car(Hakka 9) are a lot better (twice as many studs) but they didn’t make them in heavier tires for 1 tons.
I found they are not the best in snow covered staging areas though.
Was looking at a set of Nokian Hakks studded they are at the top of my list. They seem to get the best review thanks buddy

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Was looking at a set of Nokian Hakks studded they are at the top of my list. They seem to get the best review thanks buddy

By snow covered staging areas, I mean a deep fresh snow fall (over 8” or 20 cm). If the staging area is plowed, they are not a problem.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was looking to run a set of tires for both wi yet and summer it would be durtracs. Looking for a straight up winter tire

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By snow covered staging areas, I mean a deep fresh snow fall (over 8” or 20 cm). If the staging area is plowed, they are not a problem.
Yeah seems tough to find a tire that does it all.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Only beef I have with duratracs are the fuel mileage if a person cares or not. Put them on my 1500 chev and fuel mileage dropped a lot. They are soft also.
Have them factory on my duramax worst tires I’ve ever had and absolutely terrible on icy roads. These are not WINTER tires there all season tires.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have them factory on my duramax worst tires I’ve ever had and absolutely terrible on icy roads. These are not WINTER tires there all season tires.

One could stud them, they have the pre drilled holes for studs. Then they wouldn't be all season anymore.... I was just saying how they sucked the fuel mileage down quite a bit.

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
Yep. Studded hakks the way to go.
Best on icy highways towing a four place enclosed. Compact ice. Wet ice. Slush. Good (pick) carbides in the studs.

Best 2400$ I ever spent. 20” rims

Not the best in deep snow. But as long as you know that just turn the traction control off before hitting the staging area and fawking lunch on it. She’ll make it

I tried studded coopers on my one ton last few winters and they don’t have the (pick) carbides. Just studs. Not as much confidence towing thru the curves.

Although much cheaper about 1800$ 18” rims.

Both brands quiet. And smooth.

Probably go back to hakks next winter.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. Studded hakks the way to go.
Best on icy highways towing a four place enclosed. Compact ice. Wet ice. Slush. Good (pick) carbides in the studs.

Best 2400$ I ever spent. 20” rims

Not the best in deep snow. But as long as you know that just turn the traction control off before hitting the staging area and fawking lunch on it. She’ll make it

I tried studded coopers on my one ton last few winters and they don’t have the (pick) carbides. Just studs. Not as much confidence towing thru the curves.

Although much cheaper about 1800$ 18” rims.

Both brands quiet. And smooth.

Probably go back to hakks next winter.
Yeah the hakks are definitely the most recommended. But sure pricey and yeah 20" rims

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I posted awhile back in that the 1 ton tire thread, but..here again..

I had a set of the General Tire Arctic Altimax studded on a GM 3/4 ton diesel. Used the factory rims for winters, 265/70-17LT. They were fantastic for everyday driving, highway & city. Similar issue as the Hakks in deeper snow…. But if its that deep, I’m not sure what else would be any better (had buddies with mud terrians that didn’t get around in the snow any better, and scary as ch!t down the highway). We always carry tire chains, and once they’re on, no tire is going to compete with that.

Looks like the newer Generals have changed a bit, but probably better than the previous design. They make LT winters, but doesn’t look like a lot of sizes?

Also, general is a continental company and these are made in Europe… I suspect those pesky Northern Europeans are way ahead in winter tire development. I’ve never priced Hakks, but the Generals are probably more reasonable size for size.

Lastly… I have a set of Duratracs on my 1/2er company truck… sure wish I had more choice. They dig… but also throw rocks, are not lasting very long, and the “out of round”/unbalanced issue is driving me crazy. Been back to fountain tire twice, and the dealership once for balancing. Was finally told to live with it… “they’re Goodyears man, what did you expect….?”🙄

Last edited:

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running studded Duratracs on my one ton for the last three winters and in my opinion, they are a great winter tire. No they aren’t great on ice, but not terrible.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running Duratrac’s on the last few of my F350 and thought they were a really good choice, bought a new truck last fall and could not get the Duratrac’s so put on a set of coopers and absolutely horrible, took them off and only choice was a set of 20” studded Hakk’s, they are ok but overall would take a set of Duratrac’s. for an all around tire they just work, sure the studded are better on straight ice but not by much

Just my experience

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running studded Duratracs on my one ton for the last three winters and in my opinion, they are a great winter tire. No they aren’t great on ice, but not terrible.

If they aren't good on ice what's the point of running winter tires? Any decent AT is good in snow.

I've never ran summer/winter tires and don't understand the point, unless you are running massive miles in the winter on the highway it doesn't make any sense.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honestly, the only thing that works on ice is slow the fawk down!

Yep. I bet as many people get in trouble running studded tires on a truck thinking they can drive like it's summer compared to people who just run AT's year round.

Top Bottom