WiFi Thermostats....Recommendations

Sammy

Reaction score
I have the Honeywell color display one rth9580. It's just awesome no issues had it over a year now

I have the same model and has been trouble free over the last year. Just a heads up if you have an older furnace you may need to run an extra wire. if your previous stat is only two wire. You need a power supply for the wifi to work on these models. i had to run the extra "c" wire for mine which meant opening up the wall to do it, not a big issue. And yes the app forthese work with the Android phones as well, i have a Samsung.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same model and has been trouble free over the last year. Just a heads up if you have an older furnace you may need to run an extra wire. if your previous stat is only two wire. You need a power supply for the wifi to work on these models. i had to run the extra "c" wire for mine which meant opening up the wall to do it, not a big issue. And yes the app forthese work with the Android phones as well, i have a Samsung.

Yup had to run the c wire aswell.....still haven't painted that portion of the wall I tore open..........one day......

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

Yup had to run the c wire aswell.....still haven't painted that portion of the wall I tore open..........one day......

Ok, I have an "old" furnace. This "C" wire, where does it hook up too and is it included, if not what am I buying for wire?

Sent from my Phone while sitting on the side of the road.....maybe.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just do a quick check pull your thermostat off and see how many wires are in the conduit. If there is 3 or more you should be ok unless you have ac.otherwise can use any extra wire as the c wire. Will be labeled c on the circuit board on the furnace but also check that in case it isn't. Then there is another route to go as far as I recall. My existing wire only had 2 wires so I was hooped and went to Home Depot and purchased a 5 wire thermostat wire and replaced the existing 2 wire. Now I have 2 extra wires to hook up a/c in the future and maybe a humidifier or something along those lines

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Just do a quick check pull your thermostat off and see how many wires are in the conduit. If there is 3 or more you should be ok unless you have ac.otherwise can use any extra wire as the c wire. Will be labeled c on the circuit board on the furnace but also check that in case it isn't. Then there is another route to go as far as I recall. My existing wire only had 2 wires so I was hooped and went to Home Depot and purchased a 5 wire thermostat wire and replaced the existing 2 wire. Now I have 2 extra wires to hook up a/c in the future and maybe a humidifier or something along those lines

That answers the question, I'm nearly positive mine has the 2 wire system. As I remember it the wiring route is accessible so switching out from 2 to 3 wire should be easy.
Thanks Maxwell....and we thought you only knew about Doo's....lol

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we did our furnace and AC last year we went with the Lenox icomfort thermostat. Very nice unit, has tons of info on the first page including the outside weather and 5 day forcast. I can access it on my phone and freeze the mother inlaw if I want!
home_header.jpg

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
This input has been great.
I've purchased the Honeywell because anything Maxwell recommends is golden (and after an Internet review I felt it best meets the Wifey's needs).
Will check how much wiring I need tonight ana hook it up next week.
Thanks again.
CheerZ

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 178772

That's a photo of the home screen from my phone app. Can look at current temp. Set temp and outside temp that comes from weather network. So if the temp starts to drop it knows to start the temp earlier. Doesn't matter so much with forced air but with hot water heating etc it's nice

holy hell you keep your house dry. my plumber set my air exchanger to keep things below 39 and my humidifier above 35. do you have any hard wood in your house?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i keep my house running approximate same temp, and humidity the same all the time. furnace runs small amounts time to time to hold temp. Not sure if its more efficient than going cold when away and having it go wide open to warm house before you get home.

other than trips i turn it down. Only thing i would use a wifi one for would be extreme temps and turning it up on the way home from a trip.

i also have a toddler and nanny at my house all day so i cant cut the temp down during the day anyways.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
i keep my house running approximate same temp, and humidity the same all the time. furnace runs small amounts time to time to hold temp. Not sure if its more efficient than going cold when away and having it go wide open to warm house before you get home.

other than trips i turn it down. Only thing i would use a wifi one for would be extreme temps and turning it up on the way home from a trip.

i also have a toddler and nanny at my house all day so i cant cut the temp down during the day anyways.

For us we are at the house all different times of the day. With her working shifts rotating 24 hours a day and me working on the road and at home it makes sense to upgrade.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no i cant afford that chit. i dont even have a humidifier! so i cant really control it LOL

Man. Its $200 for a humidifier! Do yourself a favor, my last house was so dry, headaches all the time, new house so much better.

#canadastrong

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So would I be able to control the shop t stat, the garage t stat and the two t stat's in the house independently?

For the most part the two in the house are set to the same temp now...

Have a older programable t stats in the house and current the Honey well 001 manual in the shop....and the garage...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So would I be able to control the shop t stat, the garage t stat and the two t stat's in the house independently?

For the most part the two in the house are set to the same temp now...

Have a older programable t stats in the house and current the Honey well 001 manual in the shop....and the garage...

Yup not a problem but you need to have wifi range to your garage......

Top Bottom