Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just started running 9-10 lbs this year with the new clutching I’m running. I don’t ride as much as I used too, so I figured when I do go I’m gonna have a good time. If I was a daily rider I would ride a stocker.

I know from talking to other Polaris riders running turbo's that Polaris has done something right with their motor in the last couple years. That wasn't the case a few years ago, the only sled that could truly handle some boost without the fear of eventually coming back on a rope was Cat. Not so much now with Polaris seemingly taking boost so well.
But do you feel confident on durability running those numbers? Most i hearing are running not much more then 8lbs. I know there are guys out there running 12lbs boost but them same guys don't seem to care, we see them at CR with issues including motors. Just wondering on your opinion.

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know all 4 of my group were impressed and 2 of us snow-checked shortly after the demo tour. And a 3rd is trying to sell his skidoo and move on up to the sidewinder. Jaime Moberg is the Yamaha Rep for power tour and was awesome, he brought along Randy Swenson (pretty awesome guy) and Jeff Rosner both very talented riders and showed us the capabilities of a stock sidewinder.

I got a lot of personal messages and people always asking how the sleds handle and if I’d go back. Well I love mine so far! And wouldn’t as of yet.

Couple things I’ve noticed so far is the addictive sound and power. The suspension is easy to setup I found and after a long day trying to follow my Polaris buddies in the trees and I’m all tuckered out the trail down is awesome just rip over the whoops as fast as you can handle. I used to dread this on my skidoo after a hard day playing. Cold, wet and stock KYB suspension.

FXR gear has got me dry and warm and the QS3’s have the comfort and handling covered.

I would recommend everyone to get in touch with your “preferred” dealer and setup a tour. I do know they pay a premium per person/group that comes from each dealership but that cost is worth the outcome if one tour sells a few sleds or even 1.

I have seen a few sidewinders out on the hills this season and I’m expecting to see a bunch more by next season.

Added bonus is I can go to Yamafest now lol......

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my sidewinder after I went on the power tour because I was very impressed with the handling of the machine and of course it had a fantastic stock power. My machine now has definitely had a few modifications to the clutching (tightened rear spring), rear suspension(Baker Skid) and I am running a CR straight pipe as well as the 2018 venting in the hood and some additional venting out my side panel. I am also running a additive in my fuel that I feel is giving some definite positive results. I will be buying a set of adjustable primary weights so that I can get it to the perfect rpm. I am going to run my machine like this for this year so that these tunes that are out there get better before I install one, when Evo has thier map sensor added to the tune i will buy one. I am very happy with the way it's running right now because it takes a two stroke turbo running a crazy amount of boost to beat me and I love the reliabilty of this engine. I think that there will be more sidewinders on the hill in the future but it's gonna take some time for people to get over the supposed "heavy sled stima", ride one of these machines and find out for yourself!
This said, are there any out there that haven't had a bunch of money dumped into them? It seems guys love them, but almost all have changed skids, tuning, suspension etc. Doesn't sound as turnkey as some would lead to believe.

Not saying this is a bad thing, it's just I myself would be pissed to drop 20g and then found it needs another 2 or more just to have it perform right.

I just seem to see the same trend. Everyone says they run great, handle awesome, don't notice the weight, but then they turn around and drop a pile of money changing stuff so do they really run that great in stock form?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This said, are there any out there that haven't had a bunch of money dumped into them? It seems guys love them, but almost all have changed skids, tuning, suspension etc. Doesn't sound as turnkey as some would lead to believe.

Not saying this is a bad thing, it's just I myself would be pissed to drop 20g and then found it needs another 2 or more just to have it perform right.

I just seem to see the same trend. Everyone says they run great, handle awesome, don't notice the weight, but then they turn around and drop a pile of money changing stuff so do they really run that great in stock form?

Yes they do Dale, turn key sled and ride. No mods needed. There is a difference between dudes that are trying to get a sled to either perform or run properly. Example BRP poop clutching. And guys that are just making the sled their own custom version. I have yet to see or read anything on the SW in the fact of trying to make it right from wrong coming from the dealer or manufacture. All i have ever read is personalizing and customizing for personal preference.
I can honest say this also, anyone who has never rode one will be blown away at the STOCK power these have, NO other sled will even come close in the power. So if your not accustom to the power delivery of something like this, you will be in for a shocker and not a disappointment.
Most of the guy's adding powerup kits to these, such as me and a few on here is because we are accustom to big power sleds, don't under estimate a 200++hp sled, these are not your run of the mill 800's.

If you read back on this thread and even check my build thread the theme is pretty much the same. Personalizing the sled to our own. Nothing about not performing issues or not working as they are meant to work.

Can't say that about some other brands with performance issues and durability issues, we have thread after thread about those sleds and there problems.

After saying all this i still believe that 4 strokes are not for everyone. Even though you try one it doesn't mean you will like it. YES they are heavier then a 2 stroke and yes you feel it jumping from one to the other. Depending on what your looking for and expectation your either will love it or hate it.
I will be in Sicamous 26-27, if your around you can try mine out.

Last edited:

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id like to see you guys in the trees with these things, open areas are one thing, but in the trees is where id like to see if it shines or not. And weather you would notice the weight trying to pick ur way through the tight stuff. id like to try one myself as well

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id like to see you guys in the trees with these things, open areas are one thing, but in the trees is where id like to see if it shines or not. And weather you would notice the weight trying to pick ur way through the tight stuff. id like to try one myself as well

I ride the trees on my winder all the time, not to many sleds out there that can keep up to the winder in the trees. The torque this thing has is insane, pick a line any line and she powers through every time. So much fun to ride
b36b69bc6aad19b4a73c337e2e155e20.jpg

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The sidewinder will do OK in the tree's. Even the guys I ride with know that if i go in the tight tree's, they won't be able to follow!

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
If you were to buy a stock sidewinder and ride it as is then the only real problem is the rear shock, it is garbage and the sled just wheelies everywhere and really takes away from any kind of a decent climb, other than that you could ride it as is. I made my changes cuz I went to a 174 track and found a used Baker skid for the price of an exit shock so I figured it was worth the try. I always like to experiment and test different things so I am running a side vent out the panel instead of cutting a big hole in my hood, not a needed thing but I wanted to try something different again, clutching is bang on from the factory but with a 174 I have lost some rpm so I am only trying to gain that back and what is impressive is with only tightening my secondary spring and running my additive I have gained 300 rpm already. I will say with a good tree rider this sled will keep up with any 2 stroke in the bush but it will take more effort, i really don't care cuz tree riding is about 5% or less of my day. If you see me on the hill hunt me down I may let you take the Winder for a rip, honestly most don't wanna give it back ha ha.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This said, are there any out there that haven't had a bunch of money dumped into them?

Mine's stock except for a CR resonator - not for power, I just wanted to hear the damn thing! :) I have about 1100 kms on and just love it the way it is.

I do, it's awesome in the trees. Go try one!

If you were to buy a stock sidewinder and ride it as is then the only real problem is the rear shock, it is garbage and the sled just wheelies everywhere and really takes away from any kind of a decent climb, other than that you could ride it as is.

I climbed Turbo Hill last year with mine....it's do-able but all you are doing is managing the front end with your right thumb. Wish I had the QSL shock for sure that day!

Brojoe

Reaction score
If you were to buy a stock sidewinder and ride it as is then the only real problem is the rear shock, it is garbage and the sled just wheelies everywhere and really takes away from any kind of a decent climb, other than that you could ride it as is. I made my changes cuz I went to a 174 track and found a used Baker skid for the price of an exit shock so I figured it was worth the try. I always like to experiment and test different things so I am running a side vent out the panel instead of cutting a big hole in my hood, not a needed thing but I wanted to try something different again, clutching is bang on from the factory but with a 174 I have lost some rpm so I am only trying to gain that back and what is impressive is with only tightening my secondary spring and running my additive I have gained 300 rpm already. I will say with a good tree rider this sled will keep up with any 2 stroke in the bush but it will take more effort, i really don't care cuz tree riding is about 5% or less of my day. If you see me on the hill hunt me down I may let you take the Winder for a rip, honestly most don't wanna give it back ha ha.

Will a used racers edge off skid a Nytro fit?

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought they were put on by individual dealerships? I would just feel bad taking the spot of a potential customer that was more likely going to buy from them. If I loved it I would still be shopping around hard, or even buying a used one. Im a cheapskate but still try to be as fair as I can.

Go to Yamafest Deaner, that's exactly what is for. No strings attached, try it out.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I speak not so much about engine powerups but suspension stuff.

Sure everyone likes to customize it to their style, as many do across all brands, it just seems almost all do it to the sw, where only a handful comparatively seem to go to the same extent on other 2s brands. Just my observation.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran m10 for years on old sleds great for climbing but not great on trails. That new lockout shock is about as good as it gets soft trail ride and instantly keep skis down in the deep. The stock sled does work well I did flash mine but it was because I wanted more not because it didn't work. As others have said anyone who rides them usually doesn't want to give it back.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You're completely wrong.. why do I know this I have a 2018!! It’s bone stock other than can and rips!!! It runs with and climbs with 2 stroke turbos 8-10 lbs boost!!! Fact!! The most sod after market part needed is a rear shock! I don’t have the QSL in mine but have one on order... will it be answer will see! And they are not 20g.... why I know ... I have one.

Make no no mistake these SW are fast and handle extremely well. I have a bummed knee currently so I ride it to my current potential and have no issues.

So 99% have not changed much I would bet! Just most people aren’t on Snow and Pud!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well ya they are 20g + with the taxes and fees. Best deal I found was 18g plus taxes etc.

Again not disputing the power, only the handling out of the box. I know guys not on s&m that have '17 and '18 winders (3 guys to be specific) and all 3 changed stuff suspension wise. One did a full skid, the other 2 did skis and rear shocks and IIRC the one guy did a KISS coupler. Stock powerplants on all 3.

I also know of one guy (not personally) that has a completely stock '18 but he has also talked about making suspension changes so I dunno.

Just an observation is all. I guess there are a lot of 2s guys that make changes too but it seems there are more that don't. I do know I really want to get on one of these to try them out. I find the power tour seems to be a bit later in the year when fluffy deep stuff is hard to find but I feel it's worth it to get on one regardless.
2fbd8583bfa1939aa1b60eadb85226a6.jpg

83f52bb2b7b4345bc133d894bd73d431.jpg

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not gonna argue over your internet price .. I buy in real world!
Power tours start in November and go thru till March or need be.. Fact! So ya you can go ride in 3’ of pow if your ride aligns with snow conditions. My group Catman10, Niner and I were the very first last year in November and we had 3’ of fresh and well it was awesome. The only reason the rear skid needs tweaking is because the suspension can’t handle the power & Fox2 climbing as it wheelies and some cases over backwards if you stay into it!!!

You can argue the fact if you buy a $16-17k 2 stoke put a $5-7k turbo on that makes power you will need a skid or some shock combo...

Anyways I’m talking from real experience of pocket book and riding.. take it however you want!

If you’re serious LBZ of Power Tour Ride I would be pleased to set you up!! If not you’re more than welcome to throw a leg over mine!!!

Cheers

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s deals to be had. This sled can be driven stock, anybody that was on the power tour did. They were all impressed. That being said, changing a few things on any sled is what separates it from others. Get on a power tour and make up your own mind.

Attachments

• DAA0CE02-7F1B-4279-893B-87A67A919022.png
    DAA0CE02-7F1B-4279-893B-87A67A919022.png
    515.2 KB · Views: 276

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled 62MPH on the stage 4 fairly vertical pull in 2’ fresh up n over a few today in Weinbergers Bowl @ Renshaw that a stock 2 stroke could barely pull half.

2015 cat 162”
2016 axys 163”
2015 XM 163”
Couple 154”

The suspension works great, love the ride. 162” likes to pull ski’s though. Need to stretch it or actually use my QSL. My talent level might need to come up too now that this sled is so capable and can get a guy into some scary situations.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not gonna argue over your internet price .. I buy in real world!
Power tours start in November and go thru till March or need be.. Fact! So ya you can go ride in 3’ of pow if your ride aligns with snow conditions. My group Catman10, Niner and I were the very first last year in November and we had 3’ of fresh and well it was awesome. The only reason the rear skid needs tweaking is because the suspension can’t handle the power & Fox2 climbing as it wheelies and some cases over backwards if you stay into it!!!

You can argue the fact if you buy a $16-17k 2 stoke put a $5-7k turbo on that makes power you will need a skid or some shock combo...

Anyways I’m talking from real experience of pocket book and riding.. take it however you want!

If you’re serious LBZ of Power Tour Ride I would be pleased to set you up!! If not you’re more than welcome to throw a leg over mine!!!

Cheers

Those are real world prices when I went to four dealers in different parts of Alberta in November and mid December before I bought my T3. Those prices I posted were identical to their prices and NONE of them would budge more than a couple hundred bucks.

Maybe there are better deals to be had now at mid season, not looking right now though.

I'm not talking out my ass here. I checked it out and almost bought a '15 Viper that had a ton of upgrades on it but it sold before I was in a position to pull the trigger.

I haven't heard of a single power tour yet this year and two dealers I talked to when I was shopping last nov/dec didn't know when or even if they were going to be participating. One thing I learned when I was sled shopping, there are a lot of clueless and useless unprofessional salespeople out there.

Trust me, I'm not knocking the sled. I'd love to try one. And thanks for the offer.

Top Bottom