Wicked day on a Sidewinder!

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something in my trailer is getting 50 horse added to it in this minor surgery.

Sled pulls hard with the reflash runs the same as stock but has more jam at top. Still playing with clutch weights but I highly recommend the Evo stage 4 reflash to the mountain guys over 300km in the deep stuff this weekend burnt a pile of fuel and put through an actual test. Still on my original belt for now 870km. I did notice my secondary rollers have what I will call slight flat spots now will change those out this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled pulls hard with the reflash runs the same as stock but has more jam at top. Still playing with clutch weights but I highly recommend the Evo stage 4 reflash to the mountain guys over 300km in the deep stuff this weekend burnt a pile of fuel and put through an actual test. Still on my original belt for now 870km. I did notice my secondary rollers have what I will call slight flat spots now will change those out this summer.

Got a chance to ride this sled the day before the Evo stage 4 went in and then again the day after it was "installed" in similar but deeper conditions.

$750 bucks well spent lol.

The sled hauls ass and handles well.

Jumped off the T3 and onto this and was tree riding within 10minutes.

This 165lb guy was impressed.

Also rode an 850 in the same day.

Frosted flakes

Reaction score
Got a chance to ride this sled the day before the Evo stage 4 went in and then again the day after it was "installed" in similar but deeper conditions.

$750 bucks well spent lol.

The sled hauls ass and handles well.

Jumped off the T3 and onto this and was tree riding within 10minutes.

This 165lb guy was impressed.

Also rode an 850 in the same day.

When you say tree riding, like just passing thru the trees to the next meadow, or tree riding where its thick and sketchy? This is my biggest concern is how well this sled handles in the tree. Rating to the 850, is it comparable, or not even on the same level? By no means am I'm Burandt, but I still like to try and pretend. :p

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say tree riding, like just passing thru the trees to the next meadow, or tree riding where its thick and sketchy? This is my biggest concern is how well this sled handles in the tree. Rating to the 850, is it comparable, or not even on the same level? By no means am I'm Burandt, but I still like to try and pretend. :p
I logged a few km through the trees on the sidewinder and found it handled well, 250 HP helps, and the power is instant.

On par with my T3 I would say.

Didn't get as much seat time on the G4, handles well two, little squirley at times.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Those rollers might be warrantable. I know a flatlander dealer that mentioned he had a few customers that had brought sleds in with this issue. He said there was some sort of a change they did to put harder ones in.

Check with your dealer.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a re flash and a pipe, or do did you deeper in debt to get the 250hp?

Re flash and straight pipe clutch weights. I also bought the tuner but honestly that's probably not needed if you have a dealer close that can do updated flashes I didn't want to be without my ecu for any amount of time. Flash was $750 cad tuner was $700 clutch weights $300ish and same for straight pipe I think. I actually think I'm going to sell my tuner back to a local performance shop once he gets clearance to do the flashes as a dealer.

Frosted flakes

Reaction score
Re flash and straight pipe clutch weights. I also bought the tuner but honestly that's probably not needed if you have a dealer close that can do updated flashes I didn't want to be without my ecu for any amount of time. Flash was $750 cad tuner was $700 clutch weights $300ish and same for straight pipe I think. I actually think I'm going to sell my tuner back to a local performance shop once he gets clearance to do the flashes as a dealer.

is there directions that come with the tuner for the flash? Or is it on those trial and error things? What's a cad tuner? You 4s guys have all this fancy lingo. I'm just a simpleton and naive to all this fanciness!

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
51a87a403e504dff2c6ccfc68cb14e30.jpg

Flashing is pretty easy to do yourself they have decent directions hardest part is removing ecu have to pull charge tube and blowoff valve to get at it. You also need a windows 7 or better computer to login to there software(no macs)but all of that is really straight forward.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine are starting to get flat spots on secondary I'll replace but check with dealer first for warranty

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys that purchased a new SW should be getting a call from your dealer. There is an update on the turbo bolts, one of the bolts supposedly comes loose and also an heat shield at the header pipe up grade. Just giving you heads up.

Saskgrizz

Reaction score
New Yamaha rollers are different material, can't speak for how long they will last as don't have a lot of time on them. The turbo bolts can all come loose, just torque them back up. There is a bulletin on TY.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YAMAHA 2018 DEMO RIDE

IMG_5046_zpsngl8v0fg.jpg

IMG_5048_zpsodw6p8fs.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be involved in 2018 demo ride yesterday......We had a great day getting to check out the new sleds and ride them(zero miles on them) .of course I rode my new sidewinder, but did try a 18. I'm sure most of you are wondering how I am involved in another demo ride. The reason I was involved again, I volunteered my time to help the local dealer by organizating all the test riders and lining the date up with Yamaha's spectacular demo rep Jamie. I have been sledding since I could walk and am very passionate about the sport and enjoy every aspect of it. I truly believe it's one of North Americas greatest pass times. The awesome back country, meeting new people, educating the new up and coming riders is the greatest thing ever. Where the sled manufacturers have come in the last few years has been nothing short of amazing. I do have to say if you haven't tried a Yamaha you need to they are an engineering marvel. Nothing beats 4 stroke boost.

The day started in the staging area with Jamie's introduction in the new 2018's...Weather was perfect with clear blue skies, temp was around 1c...the unfortunate thing was all the great snow had had rain and froze the night before so a hard crust with a bit of fresh on top. So it was a exploring day. Showed everyone some spectacular country.....

IMG_5052_zps2dmvogra.jpg

So the 2018 (all 162 3" in the demo) are pretty cool....the newly updated running boards, which are 1" narrower than the 17's are going to work well. The lower plastic even tucks in more and will be a bonus on those steep side hills. The other thing I noticed right away is the air intake for the turbo is at the back of the hood under the handlebars on the 17's, on the 18's they have added another set directly above the bottom ones. On the picture below they would be in the 2 black strips. Also there was a goggle bag in the open spot below the gauge.

IMG_4989_zpskeiotufr.jpg

The new shocks were pretty interesting, Jaime our demo guide demonstrated how the settings worked on the rear QSL shock. There is 3 settings , soft , medium, and hard...Hard is the lockout feature and totally limits the rear travel so your suspension will couple and keep the front end down on those steep climbs. Due to avalanche conditions we never actually got to test out that feature. All the shocks are a definite upgrade and worth it. Trails in were pretty rough with moguls, having the new shocks was awesome.

IMG_5065_zps0khtmquj.png

The day was great even with the hard pack conditions, sleds handled great compared to their predecessors. It really didn't feel harder to maneuver than my skidoo T3, but let's face it, riding in hard pack snow isn't ideal for any sleds. There were a couple riders in our group that did make these sled shine...those guys could ride.

IMG_5052_zps2dmvogra.jpg

IMG_5050_zpsrpitoi1t.jpg

IMG_5055_zpsuwfojaon.jpg

IMG_5057_zpsob4dnkot.jpg

IMG_5058_zpsfuahtl3h.jpg

Again I want to thanks Jamie Moberg for letting us ride these. Yamaha is lucky to have a great guy with such a positive attitude representing their product. He's always accommodating and willing to "commit";) to the groups riding style. Also the dealer ROCKY MOUNTAIN YAMAHA in Pincher Creek, Alberta for sponsoring this event, great new shop in Pincher, and great guys to deal with. AND a big shout out to Climbmax(Randy) and Yamaha Canada for getting these sleds in the hands of the riders. It's just amazing a company spends the time and money to get these sleds out for a whole day of riding.

IMG_5062_zps2oirhjfn.jpg

Short video of the terrian....

Attachments

• IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5092.JPG
    IMG_5092.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New Yamaha rollers are different material, can't speak for how long they will last as don't have a lot of time on them. The turbo bolts can all come loose, just torque them back up. There is a bulletin on TY.

Make sure you talk to your dealer cause they are not just retorquing the bolts but replacing them with different bolts.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YAMAHA 2018 DEMO RIDE

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5046_zpsngl8v0fg.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5048_zpsodw6p8fs.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be involved in 2018 demo ride yesterday......We had a great day getting to check out the new sleds and ride them(zero miles on them) .of course I rode my new sidewinder, but did try a 18. I'm sure most of you are wondering how I am involved in another demo ride. The reason I was involved again, I volunteered my time to help the local dealer by organizating all the test riders and lining the date up with Yamaha's spectacular demo rep Jamie. I have been sledding since I could walk and am very passionate about the sport and enjoy every aspect of it. I truly believe it's one of North Americas greatest pass times. The awesome back country, meeting new people, educating the new up and coming riders is the greatest thing ever. Where the sled manufacturers have come in the last few years has been nothing short of amazing. I do have to say if you haven't tried a Yamaha you need to they are an engineering marvel. Nothing beats 4 stroke boost.

The day started in the staging area with Jamie's introduction in the new 2018's...Weather was perfect with clear blue skies, temp was around 1c...the unfortunate thing was all the great snow had had rain and froze the night before so a hard crust with a bit of fresh on top. So it was a exploring day. Showed everyone some spectacular country.....

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5052_zps2dmvogra.jpg

So the 2018 (all 162 3" in the demo) are pretty cool....the newly updated running boards, which are 1" narrower than the 17's are going to work well. The lower plastic even tucks in more and will be a bonus on those steep side hills. The other thing I noticed right away is the air intake for the turbo is at the back of the hood under the handlebars on the 17's, on the 18's they have added another set directly above the bottom ones. On the picture below they would be in the 2 black strips. Also there was a goggle bag in the open spot below the gauge.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_4989_zpskeiotufr.jpg

The new shocks were pretty interesting, Jaime our demo guide demonstrated how the settings worked on the rear QSL shock. There is 3 settings , soft , medium, and hard...Hard is the lockout feature and totally limits the rear travel so your suspension will couple and keep the front end down on those steep climbs. Due to avalanche conditions we never actually got to test out that feature. All the shocks are a definite upgrade and worth it. Trails in were pretty rough with moguls, having the new shocks was awesome.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5065_zps0khtmquj.png

The day was great even with the hard pack conditions, sleds handled great compared to their predecessors. It really didn't feel harder to maneuver than my skidoo T3, but let's face it, riding in hard pack snow isn't ideal for any sleds. There were a couple riders in our group that did make these sled shine...those guys could ride.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5052_zps2dmvogra.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5050_zpsrpitoi1t.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5055_zpsuwfojaon.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5057_zpsob4dnkot.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5058_zpsfuahtl3h.jpg

Again I want to thanks Jamie Moberg for letting us ride these. Yamaha is lucky to have a great guy with such a positive attitude representing their product. He's always accommodating and willing to "commit" to the groups riding style. Also the dealer ROCKY MOUNTAIN YAMAHA in Pincher Creek, Alberta for sponsoring this event, great new shop in Pincher, and great guys to deal with. AND a big shout out to Climbmax(Randy) and Yamaha Canada for getting these sleds in the hands of the riders. It's just amazing a company spends the time and money to get these sleds out for a whole day or riding.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_5062_zps2oirhjfn.jpg

Short video of the terrian....

[video]https://youtu.be/e4LEQBbalVI[/url]
That QS3 suspension looks awesome.
Did they do a good job on the valving?

Top Bottom