Why.........?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With cat releasing a new chassis last year and Polaris the year before why are they dedicated to that 15 wide track? It would have been such a simple change to throw into the new design. Serious thread here do any of you think there is no advantage what so ever to having a 16 wide track? And that is why it's not happening?

Basic math says the 16 wide wins. What's your opinion? I know tons of guys Doing aftermarket 16 wide conversions.

JLARSH

Reaction score
Is the difference in performance enough to warrant new track moulds? How much better does the 16 wide work? Is it a 10' difference in a climb? or a 100' diff? If it's 100' then sure but if it's not who cares. Great thread but I don't see it lasting long before the brand bashing begins.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the difference in performance enough to warrant new track moulds? How much better does the 16 wide work? Is it a 10' difference in a climb? or a 100' diff? If it's 100' then sure but if it's not who cares. Great thread but I don't see it lasting long before the brand bashing begins.

Valid point. But in my opinion I think the real advantage of the 16 wide is te flotation and the way it pulls itself up on the snow from a stop. You can put an m8 162 on a slight incline in fresh snow beside a similar sled with a 16 wide and one of them is trenched out and stuck while the other is tractoring forward slowly building momentum

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took skidoo years to work the bugs out on their chassis to use the 16" wide and it took super narrow stance, tiliting rear suspension and a flexing track to act narrower............ when did they intro the 16" wide???? 08? so 6 years?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 wide tunnel feels much narrower and more maneuverable. Remember everyone is losing their mind over weight and most guys run 155" or shorter tracks. That said the pro gets up on the snow very well, better than anything else I've ridden but I haven't been on an XM yet.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took skidoo years to work the bugs out on their chassis to use the 16" wide and it took super narrow stance, tiliting rear suspension and a flexing track to act narrower............ when did they intro the 16" wide???? 08? so 6 years?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 years! 10 years to make a 16" wide as "flickable" as a 15" wide polaris and cat

JLARSH

Reaction score
Too a certain extent I guess, starting out in deep snow has alot to do with clutching and throttle control as well. But this is about track width so scatch that. The 16 wide will help and/or be better in every aspect of flotation. Too add to your post I'll ask you this.... Is track length better than track width for flotation?? Say a 146''x16'' compared to a 162''x15'' wide? Same sled, same rider no bullchit.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Handing is the big factor. The narrower it is the easier it is to flip side to side which is why the XP was harder to throw around vs the other 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With cat releasing a new chassis last year and Polaris the year before why are they dedicated to that 15 wide track? It would have been such a simple change to throw into the new design. Serious thread here do any of you think there is no advantage what so ever to having a 16 wide track? And that is why it's not happening?

Basic math says the 16 wide wins. What's your opinion? I know tons of guys Doing aftermarket 16 wide conversions.
Maxwell, why ask a question you already know the answer to? 16 wide is better for flotation hands down. The cat and polaris still work ok, and with a good rider will go almost anywhere. BRP finally has an almost perfect sled.
If i run into you on the hills can i try your xm out? I'm running an old "12" poo. Hope i can get into oasis when im up there.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too a certain extent I guess, starting out in deep snow has alot to do with clutching and throttle control as well. But this is about track width so scatch that. The 16 wide will help and/or be better in every aspect of flotation. Too add to your post I'll ask you this.... Is track length better than track width for flotation?? Say a 146''x16'' compared to a 162''x15'' wide? Same sled, same rider no bullchit.

I personally would probly go for the 162 15 because that 146 would be comin over backwards way to often on the stuff I play on.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, why ask a question you already know the answer to? 16 wide is better for flotation hands down. The cat and polaris still work ok, and with a good rider will go almost anywhere. BRP finally has an almost perfect sled.
If i run into you on the hills can i try your xm out? I'm running an old "12" poo. Hope i can get into oasis when im up there.

Yep that's what it's for your welcome to give her a whirl. I thought I knew the answer to this question but with 2 manufacturers still running 15 wides I am curious as to why and perhaps there is an advantage to a 15 wide. Lets ask this.......if cat and Polaris run a 16 wide for 2014 will you be disappointed? Swapping tracks back?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not everyone is into climbing big climbs, and when riding in the trees I haven't reached limitations due to my track. On the super deep days yes, but how many hard pack weekends have you ridden where you need to go 30k back to find marginal snow? I'm not saying the XP doesn't handle well on the hard pack but more effort is need than the cat or Polaris. Skidoo now has the t-motion to help ease handling from the 16 wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting post. I know it's a relative short track, but I rode a 146 x 15 x 2" for a season before switching to a 146 x 16 x 2.3. Same machine, although different years and different conditions. In general, the 16" wide will pull me from a standing start easier than the 15. It doesn't trench as bad. When stopping, the 16 sits higher in the snow. The 16 did climb better, but more lug depth, so I won't bother to make comparisions there.

The 15 did pull over easier, but the 16 wasn't much harder to pull over. I really expected the 16 to pull over alot harder in comparision than what it did.

In hardpack, the 16 steers a bit heavier, but again, deeper lug, so difficult to saw what the actual root cause was, but I suspect width since neither track is likely fully dug in.

In my experience, for the average guy, the 16 will pull you out of trouble longer than the 15 would, especially in bottomless snow.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep that's what it's for your welcome to give her a whirl. I thought I knew the answer to this question but with 2 manufacturers still running 15 wides I am curious as to why and perhaps there is an advantage to a 15 wide. Lets ask this.......if cat and Polaris run a 16 wide for 2014 will you be disappointed? Swapping tracks back?
I run mine stock. I spent so much money in prior years trying to get that extra 10 feet more. OEM's are really good now. I would be on a BRP if they werent so damn expensive in comparison to what i ride. Maybe one day ill get a good deal. No i wouldn't switch back to a 15 wide. I think the 16 is better especially for my style of riding.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i question why am i buying a sled with a 16" track. There is no good real selection for after market tracks.... the new 3" is a disappointment, sure it still works better but how much. 14.25 at the base and 14" at the top. So on a 16 wide tunnel that makes dam near a 1" gap on each side.... you know how much snow build up in the tunnel a person is going to get.

i guess if you were comparing stock track on stock sleds, yea why would you buy a 15"? there is a diffrence in floation not only for climbing but boondocking in the trees.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i question why am i buying a sled with a 16" track. There is no good real selection for after market tracks.... the new 3" is a disappointment, sure it still works better but how much. 14.25 at the base and 14" at the top. So on a 16 wide tunnel that makes dam near a 1" gap on each side.... you know how much snow build up in the tunnel a person is going to get.

i guess if you were comparing stock track on stock sleds, yea why would you buy a 15"? there is a diffrence in floation not only for climbing but boondocking in the trees.

Not sure what you mean By the first part up until this year you had to cut an inch off the 3" tracks to get them to fit another brand. But yes the new 3" does suck big time

Top Bottom