Why did Polaris stop using the belt drive?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TethAir has confirmed it, most Polaris riders are idiots.......... I concur..... and before everyone gets their panties wedged up their a$$es I said MOST... not all

So what you are saying is you have actually never owned one but as the internet expert you are you have concluded it must be garbage.

Over 4000kms on various stock Polaris quick drives and no issues. I have also ran TKI set ups and they offer some great set ups and due to the tensioner you run the belt to spec and it’s not near as tight as the stock quick drive and turns with less resistance.

The only quick drive belts I have ever seen Fail were on the 2013 and they quickly updated that to a more durable belt.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I have a 13 with chaincase and a 13 quick drive. I suppose that is only because I built her pro off of a switchback assault platform.

Correction to your correction sir. LOL. 2016 marked the first year of the quickdrive offered alongside the chain case, depending on the RMK model chosen. ;)

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the only question that begs asking is ..........................
Has anyone ACTUALLY ever blown a quick drive belt on an Axys chassis and had to change it on the hill ?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ACTUALLY ever blown a quick drive belt on an Axys chassis and had to change it on the hill ?

I’ve replaced one on my 2015 pro rmk. It came with the quickdrive. Instead of putting a tensioner on it I changed the belt after 2500 km. It didn’t break I just changed it as a precautionary service. My first trip out on the new belt I snapped it. Clean break. It was shock loaded. Did the swap on the hill. I’ve got it down to a science now. Takes longer to get my battery out for the electric start.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ive helped guys try to change one the first year it came out. It was a pain in the ass to get the new belt on.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is you have actually never owned one but as the internet expert you are you have concluded it must be garbage.

Over 4000kms on various stock Polaris quick drives and no issues. I have also ran TKI set ups and they offer some great set ups and due to the tensioner you run the belt to spec and it’s not near as tight as the stock quick drive and turns with less resistance.

The only quick drive belts I have ever seen Fail were on the 2013 and they quickly updated that to a more durable belt.

We had a 14 pro and a 15 pro in our fleet back in those years, never said they blew belts all the time after 13 but the set up is a joke, if you do happen to blow one it’s a pain in the ass to try and change it if you can even do it and very dangerous trying to tow the junk out of certain areas without it. You ever try and tow two pro rmk‘ out of salmon after one blows a belt way in there, and the other blows a belt towing it out? Getting two sleds with no brakes out of salmon due to poor design is not fun and will make you never want to do it again. Never purchased a pro again after that and probably never will, good family friend even owns a Polaris dealership and still won’t buy one

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a 14 pro and a 15 pro in our fleet back in those years, never said they blew belts all the time after 13 but the set up is a joke, if you do happen to blow one it’s a pain in the ass to try and change it if you can even do it and very dangerous trying to tow the junk out of certain areas without it. You ever try and tow two pro rmk‘ out of salmon after one blows a belt way in there, and the other blows a belt towing it out? Getting two sleds with no brakes out of salmon due to poor design is not fun and will make you never want to do it again. Never purchased a pro again after that and probably never will, good family friend even owns a Polaris dealership and still won’t buy one

I have towed out more Cats with blown diamond drives than Pros with a blown quick drive belt. Towing a Cat with a blown diamond drive from the Notch in Fernie to the Tin Shacks at the time was anything but fun. It’s like sitting around the campfire telling stories. I have more too. Towed Doo’s with out tracks, Doo’s with broken jackshafts, Cats broken steering posts. Maybe a Dragon with a broken steering post or it was an IQ. Doesn’t matter what it is and where it is, they are all hard to tow out, brakes or not.

Now granted the diamond drives of yesterday are no longer a concern on new sleds they are still out there.

People want the highest HP or they want the lightest sled or whatever it is they want and two pulleys with a belt is the lightest you can make it and the limited failures are far and few between. I have ridden 10 days in the last 14 and of the three 850 Pros, the two 800 Pro’s, and the four G4’s the only two that gave us problems were the Doo’s. Electrical issues that can’t be solved on the hill. So by your logic I should never buy a Doo. I would certainly not buy a Cat. Works for me.

A belt requires a pm check just like a chain or anything other rotating part. I had 2500 on my first one in 14 and changed it just for peace of mind. While I am aware of the difficulty of changing one vs the ease of doing it on one of my TKI set ups I still prefer a belt to a chain.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you know the zip tie trick you can change a quick drive belt in 5 minutes unless you have to screw with a battery. Change my belts at 2500 miles and no issues.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless they stopped for 2020, Polaris didn't stop using the quickdrive, they never had them on the on the 3". That being said, A f*ck ton of people have changed to a 3" track using the belt drives with no issues. We have had lots of quickdrives in our group (2013's included) and I've yet to change one. I think its an awesome design, simple, light and it flat out works. The no brakes thing would probably suck if you didn't have a spare belt but that's I'd say that's a you problem.

As for changing them on, I'd get one of these. https://www.snowest.com/2016/12/new-product-armstrong-quick-change

All this being said, I do not carry a spare belt or the means to change one, call it confidence in the quickdrive or dumb I really don't care

Last edited:
Top Bottom