Whitecourt & Trail Blazers - AWESOME!

wyldk9

Reaction score
We toured up to Whitecourt to check out the sleddin' from Sunday until Wed (mar 25th).....4 of us in total (2 from Sask, 1 from Edmonton & 1 from Calgary that ventured up for Monday/Tuesday).

We found the trails maintained by the Whitecourt Trail Blazers to be excellently groomed & the warm up shelters 2ND TO NONE!
We had hopes of riding the whole Golden Triangle, only to find that where the Trail Blazers stopped grooming their portion, the other clubs/towns (Fox Creek/Swan Hills) failed to maintain their own portion, made it virtually impossible to ride their portion of the trails.......dissapointing to not be able to do up the triangle........and attempting to do it would rattle the sled apart.

We stuck to the Whitecourt area trails and found enough ventures on trail, deep powder and creek riding to keep us busy and more than satisfied. All in all, a big thumbs up to the Trail Blazers for their efforts on their trails, shelters and everything else. (a little better signage for non-locals would be nice, though)

AWESOME LOCALS:
On our maiden voyage on Sunday from The Ritz Motel, we made a pit stop for fuel at the Esso, not really knowing the route out to trails. Upon us pondering the options, one of the locals in a blue Ford with 2 sleds on deck, stopped and asked if we were from around there and knew where we were going..(we may have had that indecisive look)........LOL. He gave us specific instructions on how to get to trails.....good stuff! Thank-you!
Once we made it to the Warm up Shelter out east, we ran into another couple of locals, which had some welcomed advise, as well!

Whitecourt is a definite must for a return trip for us!

Side Note: I am not sure of the issue with the other clubs/towns not maintaining their portion of the trails, maybe funding, or lack of local support. Here in Sask, every sled registered here automatically pays $40 of the registration towards maintaining trails all across Sask. Maybe a system like that is needed in Alberta to assist the maintaining of trails. Especially the trans Canada Snowmobile Trail that goes up to Swan Hills.

Curt

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Side Note: I am not sure of the issue with the other clubs/towns not maintaining their portion of the trails, maybe funding, or lack of local support. Here in Sask, every sled registered here automatically pays $40 of the registration towards maintaining trails all across Sask. Maybe a system like that is needed in Alberta to assist the maintaining of trails. Especially the trans Canada Snowmobile Trail that goes up to Swan Hills."

Yes it is, and I have been saying this to our snowmobile association for years now. It has been highly effective in several provinces.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember you fellas from the Carson cabin. Thanks for all the positive feedback. We are lucky to have great support from the town and county, not to mention a great membership.
Look forward to seeing you guys next year again!
Take care,
Wizzy

wyldk9

Reaction score
"Side Note: I am not sure of the issue with the other clubs/towns not maintaining their portion of the trails, maybe funding, or lack of local support. Here in Sask, every sled registered here automatically pays $40 of the registration towards maintaining trails all across Sask. Maybe a system like that is needed in Alberta to assist the maintaining of trails. Especially the trans Canada Snowmobile Trail that goes up to Swan Hills."

Yes it is, and I have been saying this to our snowmobile association for years now. It has been highly effective in several provinces.

Well, I would hate for Sask to have something before Alberta for once, but I guess this is probably the only thing....LOL.
It always seems that the squeeky wheel gets the greese.......if you want any info on how Sask made this happen, lemme know and I can poke around and see if I can get some info for ya.
An online petition or "b**** letter" from a large group of sledders to the gov't may be the route.

wyldk9

Reaction score
I remember you fellas from the Carson cabin. Thanks for all the positive feedback. We are lucky to have great support from the town and county, not to mention a great membership.
Look forward to seeing you guys next year again!
Take care,
Wizzy

Hey Wizzy..........was nice chattin with ya at the Shack! After the 2nd day and a couple loops, it was better getting orientated...My brother made it up at 3 AM and the M5 & M6 found more than enuff of the deep stuff to play in.....hospitable & great people like yourself, makes up 50% or more of a great sleddin' destination!

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have information on when the next big poker rally? Last year was there 30th anniversary, and was a blast, I know that same works might not fit the budget, but would still really like to participate. Ride the awesome trails provided, definitly going to start spreading the word around on how great it was once I get more information/date. Want to book my room in advance, and goin to bring more gas this time!!

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have information on when the next big poker rally? Last year was there 30th anniversary, and was a blast, I know that same works might not fit the budget, but would still really like to participate. Ride the awesome trails provided, definitly going to start spreading the word around on how great it was once I get more information/date. Want to book my room in advance, and goin to bring more gas this time!!

Our annual poker rally will be held on the family day long weekend (12th to 14th) in February. We will have pre-registration on the Friday night and rally to be held both Saturday & Sunday. We are going to raffle off a 50th Anniversary Edition 2009 Summit 154 and each hand you buy for the rally enters you into the draw - tickets also available for $5 each. Gotta start the snow dance now:d

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Experience
I attended this last year, which was there 30th anniversary, and they had a guy break the world record for longest back flip. Im sure thats not incorporated into the works this year due to that being a special year for them. The trails are so well groomed its unbelievable, when your used to riding the dunes, or kakwa after it has those nasty woops. All level of riders can enjoy this poker rally, and the great hospitality offered by Whitecourt Trailerblazers.

Description of Trails.
The trails are well groomed for all skill levels of riding, theres powder on the sides to venture off and little jumps to be discovered. There is 4 checkpoints, first one is where u register/take off, second has an area with sleds parked donuts/hot chocolate/water/coffee, 3rd has weinor roast/drinks, 4th had an enclosed trailer with a heater. You can choose to do a 60km trail or 100km trail, and you can explore all over allowing sleds into whitecourt(use common sense). Hotels closer to the river let you ride from there, like the Ritz Cafe, Nova Inn, and I think one other.

Information on the Rally from a fellow Trailblazer
Our annual poker rally will be held on the family day long weekend (12th to 14th) in February. We will have pre-registration on the Friday night and rally to be held both Saturday & Sunday. We are going to raffle off a 50th Anniversary Edition 2009 Summit 154 and each hand you buy for the rally enters you into the draw - tickets also available for $5 each. Gotta start the snow dance now

Why make a note so early, February is so far away!
That just goes to show how great this Rally is that Whitecourt puts on. You can now book your hotel room before they get filled, and make a commitment that you will be attending. I know friends/family who hummed and hauhed about making the 3 hour trip, I did also, but Im glad I wnet. I want everybody to beable to have the opportunity I experienced.

Cheers, and hope to see some familiar faces.

I don't want to sound like a kiss ass, but thats what I posted on my facebook, and anybody else feel free to also. I hope I didnt hype it up too much, but me and my brother never seen such well kept trails and organization.

Top Bottom