what to do???

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 08 162" m1000 with 430 miles on it. Its got a super Q can, a 4" riser block and a new style seat. My dilema is that im gettin kind of tired of the tank, im torn between swapping tracks and throwing a rk tek secondary and seeing if it makes it a more desirable sled, or just selling it and getting a new lighter 800?

what would you people do???

Captain Undies

Reaction score
Once you throw a few bucks at it and tune up the engine a bit and lose some weight on the sled the ol 1000 is still better than and 800 IMO. It uses more gas but the 1000 is a bullit proof engine that has more power and torque than the 800s, and when you tune up em , they cant even compare. I geuss what you gotta decide is what do you want to spend. You wanna buy a new 800, and try selling your 1000? and get low price for it? or spend a few bucks and have a sleds that rocks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get rid of that junk stock track on that sled, and put on a challenger extreme 2.5". I did that to my girlfriends m7 and wow it a totally different sled! Then a BDX air intake so you can get rid of the stock air intake, and let that sled breath. You can do alot to that sled cheaper then a new one.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I'll be the first to admit that I am a lazy rider and find it hard to manuver the 1000, that is sorta my biggest beef with the sled. And as for selling it, its still gonna be in the family and ill be gettin a decent price. I got a sweet deal on it when i got it, so even if i put 600 for a track, 300 for an intake, and 300 for a clutch, and then a motor mount setup id still be cheaper than a new sled. and it doesnt hurt so much if i smoke a tree which seems to happen a fair bit.

scropley

Reaction score
ASk your buddy how bad i kick his pro ass with my M1000, you just need to man up and ride the fat pig hard.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I'll be the first to admit that I am a lazy rider and find it hard to manuver the 1000, that is sorta my biggest beef with the sled. And as for selling it, its still gonna be in the family and ill be gettin a decent price. I got a sweet deal on it when i got it, so even if i put 600 for a track, 300 for an intake, and 300 for a clutch, and then a motor mount setup id still be cheaper than a new sled. and it doesnt hurt so much if i smoke a tree which seems to happen a fair bit.

IHMO... get a newer, lighter sled and you will have WAY more fun! If you go cat again... swap the track out for a Camo Extreme. It will make a world of difference.

I had a 2007 M1000 (total lemon, weird stuff went wrong all the time). I really liked the power but after some research decided to go to an 2009 M8 and WHAT a difference! Way more fun to play around with and manouver. The first upgrade I did to it was swap the track out :)

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IHMO... get a newer, lighter sled and you will have WAY more fun! If you go cat again... swap the track out for a Camo Extreme. It will make a world of difference.

I had a 2007 M1000 (total lemon, weird stuff went wrong all the time). I really liked the power but after some research decided to go to an 2009 M8 and WHAT a difference! Way more fun to play around with and manouver. The first upgrade I did to it was swap the track out :)

you told me it was a good sled. when you were selling it! lol

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sell it !! buy a 2010-11 m8
I had the 08 m1000 snopro 162. loved it! thought it was the best thing ever. It was untill i started having mechanical problem after problem...
(fuel pump, broken secondary, primary, ect ect.) my friend had the 08 m1000. stock and he blew his motor, 2 cpu's and a secondary clutch as well.
I decided shortly after my warranty expired to trade it in before it blew up..
Now I have the 2010 m8 162. and let me say this.... It works amazing!! Its a way lighter version of my m1000!!
I can ride hard all day and i'm not beat to crap like i was on the 1000.
weight to horse power ratio its probably probably a tie with out the extra 75lbs.
Its been a much more reliable ride and alot less pain in the arse.. :d

snowbuster

Reaction score
I too had an '08 m1000 lightened up a bit and it didn't give me any problems, overall a good sled. I found the stock track too soft, as I could fishtail around corners whereas the powerclaw tracked machines in our group would hookup far better in all conditions. I could have upgraded the track, but instead chose to sell the m1000 and picked up a 2010 m8. The power is almost the same, comparing the two in a race, but maneuverability in the technical terrain is where the m8 shines. I weighed the two and the m8 came in 52 lbs lighter in the front end, a stocker would probably be more yet. For the terrain my group prefers (trees and technical climbs) the m8's weight and better throttle response proved to be an advantage. However, on a long pull the m1000 would pull past the m8, often still roosting 60mph+. I have talked to heavier set guys that don't mind the extra weight, a tradeoff I guess, if you do a lot of digging that might be a consideration. Unfortunately you won't get a good dollar for the m1000 if you sell it, I took a bath on mine. Ideally if you could spend some time on the m8, preferably a '10 or '11 (800HO) you could easily tell the difference.Good luck!

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
430mls on an 08 Jeez sounds like you just need to ride it. I put that much mileage on this month.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here's what I'd do, and the order I'd do it in:

1. Drop the front of the skid to the bottom hole in the tunnel. It's in the brace, just need to drill it from the inside out. (zero dollars)
2. Turn the stock track around (zero dollars, huge improvement)
3. SLP single pipe set. (They "claim" 190 HP with an intake upgrade. Wow factor!!)
4. Lose the stock ski's. I run SLP Powder Pros, but lots of guys like Sly Dogs too. Stay away from Simmons Gen1's though.
5. Diamond drive transfer gear bearing upgrade. AC should have done this! Design flaw in my opinion! Actually....should be #1 on the list!

Now ride it. You'll love it! These mods turn it into a different sled! If you want to make it even better & have more money to spend....

6. 2.5" Camo Extreme track (Haven't tried a 3" but guys say they're awesome!)
7. Timbersled rear suspension. Actually probably the best upgrade my '07 ever got, but I didn't list it in the first steps because the '08's AC skid was better than '07.
8. Timbersled front suspension. This is strictly a weight loss upgrade. I can't really say it "works" better than stock.
9. Air intake. I went with Timbersled & I'm really happy with it, but they all work good & drop weight.
10. Clutching. I'm still running AC clutching, but I've ridden one with an RK Tek kit and it works well.

DO NOT gear it down. Just a heavier M8 if you do that. Lot's of venting gets rid of most of the belt life issues.
Some guys switch out the diamond drive for a diamond lite to drop more weight, but I like reverse so I haven't done it.

I LOVE MY M1000! :D

Last edited:

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright thanks for all the input, I think I will try lowering the front of the skid to the lower mount hole and maybe an intake. I kind of want to keep my machine a pull and go, so I was sorta hoping to stay away from needing a fuel controller.

What about tightening the limit straps?? or this "Geo Mod" would either of those provide an effect im looking for??

prairiepulling

Reaction score
I have an 08 M1000 162 SnoPro and wouldn't trade it for an 800 EVER. The 1000 set up correctly will eat an 800 all day long with some minor tuning and clutching. Maybe a little heavier but so be it. There is no replacement for displacement IMO.
I have since put a RG Twisted Turbo with full cylinder porting, head cut, 2.5 Camo extreme and running @ 10 pounds will rock on 100 LL AvGas. Moyiesledhead has some good suggestions so you may have to get off your wallet a little. Cheers.

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'd do, and the order I'd do it in:

1. Drop the front of the skid to the bottom hole in the tunnel. It's in the brace, just need to drill it from the inside out. (zero dollars)
2. Turn the stock track around (zero dollars, huge improvement)
3. SLP single pipe set. (They "claim" 190 HP with an intake upgrade. Wow factor!!)
4. Lose the stock ski's. I run SLP Powder Pros, but lots of guys like Sly Dogs too. Stay away from Simmons Gen1's though.
5. Diamond drive transfer gear bearing upgrade. AC should have done this! Design flaw in my opinion! Actually....should be #1 on the list!

Now ride it. You'll love it! These mods turn it into a different sled! If you want to make it even better & have more money to spend....

6. 2.5" Camo Extreme track (Haven't tried a 3" but guys say they're awesome!)
7. Timbersled rear suspension. Actually probably the best upgrade my '07 ever got, but I didn't list it in the first steps because the '08's AC skid was better than '07.
8. Timbersled front suspension. This is strictly a weight loss upgrade. I can't really say it "works" better than stock.
9. Air intake. I went with Timbersled & I'm really happy with it, but they all work good & drop weight.
10. Clutching. I'm still running AC clutching, but I've ridden one with an RK Tek kit and it works well.

DO NOT gear it down. Just a heavier M8 if you do that. Lot's of venting gets rid of most of the belt life issues.
Some guys switch out the diamond drive for a diamond lite to drop more weight, but I like reverse so I haven't done it.

I LOVE MY M1000! :D

All good upgrades as long as you mean raise the front of the skid up into the tunnel to help with the M1's trenching. doing the limiter strap to the next notch should have the same effect. even thought arctic cat has terrible skies i wouldnt think it would be worth the $500 to upgrade when you could put that money somewhere that would make a bigger difference.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like the cat skis either. On my girlfriends M7 I tried out the camoplast all terrain skis, and so far they work good. They track nice on the trail and are 7" wide so are anise width for powder. And where only $200.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank you for all the opinions on the matter, ill try tweaking it a bit and just gonna log some more seat time with some of the cheaper mods. and also maybe try selling it while i do some research into which sled I wanna try next.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 08 162" m1000 with 430 miles on it. Its got a super Q can, a 4" riser block and a new style seat. My dilema is that im gettin kind of tired of the tank, im torn between swapping tracks and throwing a rk tek secondary and seeing if it makes it a more desirable sled, or just selling it and getting a new lighter 800?

Dump it and get the 800

Top Bottom