A personal history. Not a fight.... Just bored. Please add your thoughts

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every now and then I get a thought in my simple head... I wish manufacturers would just stop. Stop raising the bar, stop making lighter, stop building power and deeper lugs.

Im not the best rider, not even close. Like trees, meadows, climbs, technical **** till I'm so tired I can't hold the bars. Afraid of big air, no balls for drops, and trying to enjoy a sport and raise a family of 5, do my damn best to not wreck my junk because then I'm out for a season or two.

My introduction to riding the white was somewhere in the 80's, chilliwack lake road, 300? Skidoo olymique. Big graduation to a 440 prowler lol. Then a 650 Indy. All short track flat landers.

Ended up working with a guy in Prince George, he had about 10 years on me and all he did was yap about mountain riding, summer he would ride a quad, cut trail into alpine, winter ride that crap outta his cat. I figured hell, why not try it. I found an old Indy 500, threw in a 650 triple motor, piped clutched and jetted, lightened it for everything she was worth, added some sort of a 1.5" 137"something or other, man I was ready for the steep and deep. First ride, totalled. Ski hooked a small tree on a face, I flipped off and down she tumbled done... Heartbroken. I owned a few more sleds through those years till I moved to Alberta.

I love raw horse power. I've owned a turbo sled till I couldn't afford to ride and tinker with it, family happened, kids grew and got hobbies and sports, I left the sport. Been back into it for 3 years. Bought a well used M1000, built some power, lightened it up, gave it a track that worked. There's been days I'm so tired from riding the balls off the ole b***h that I wanna puke. Garsh darn fun. A new cat on the way for next season but I'm a bit torn...

Here lies the problem, my dilemma. My new purchase is the problem. I haven't earned it. Stay with me here. We all buy this new iron cause it easy. It's new. It goes further than before, it's less effort. We haven't earned the steep and the deep. The back back backcountry in a sense. Since getting back into this sport, I can't believe how many injuries I see, dislocated shoulders, broken collar bones, broken leg. It's crazy out there. But in my youth, I was part of the problem. Always reaching further, spending more, building lighter trying to cut that new trail. Driving an industry to be better. There's still lots on the table with these machines for improvements, especially a cat lol. But where does it end. I read a website saying that these stick machines at 15-17k+ is crazy. Man for what these things do compared to how our old crap did, man these things are cheap..... In a sense, for what we are getting.

Well I'm done. I was really bored, nothing new been posted to read, hoping this starts some others going, wanting time to fly till when the snow flies.

Flame away, don't care. Please share if you too are bored.

Allseasons

Last edited:

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound like a pretty normal upbringing, I'm sure we all started in the same place. Kids come and things change....its life. The world spins and we as people want more, it's human nature. The cost of sled can reach unrealistic portions at times and its up to the pocket book or addition as to how far we want to go with it.
All I can say is I started out on the old iron and had some of the best times of my lifelong them,but as the whiskers turn gray I'm sure happy technology has brought me a sled that dominates all I have ever ridden in the past.

If cost is the issues here just look at everything out there from homes to cars to French fry's, heck the world is getting expensive no matter what we do now. One day my funds will be going towards a sunny front porch and a rocking chair to sit on and put the days of bouncing up a hill side behind me.
till then if you love to ride blow the cobwebs out of the pocket book and lay down the 20 beans and ride!

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not being clear. Point clearly missed. Experience-not money.

When i destroyed that first mountain sled on its maiden voyage, I didn't have a clue. Young and dumb. Hadn't earned that spot on the mountain.

These new machines are putting us in situations that people new to the sport cannot deal with. Hence the injuries I see or watch. Even the brutal YouTube videos of guys riding faces, Avalanche sweeps them away and they make it, survive and post that with clear mistakes being made. No business being there. Haven't earned it.

For me, again not the best rider, out of shape and greying lol, but been up there enough to know my limitations, and thankfully know my riding partners abilities, and will not push them. I know for sure that this new machine has more than enough potential to put me where I don't belong. Now I need to use fear and common sense I've acquired through experience to keep me out of that doomsday switch. And that feeling of anxiousness pins and needles from my family each time I load up because global news just reported more sad news from our community.

I watched a video of that new skidoo 850, and though I was hugely impressed, I said to myself, Christ, that thing is insane. No thank you.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right, the young newbies haven't learned it or earned it

Stuff happens to us all, but lots of inexperienced people on sleds that are even past what some good riders are capable of

Now my thoughts are u don't have to use it all, if u think the 850 is insane, u don't have to hammer down it all the time

But it's there if u need it and or as your riding experience gets better it can too

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get bored too,, that's why I like to just pin it. Gets the adrenaline going you know? Never a dull moment launching off a cliff, sideways through the trees or climbing up a big chute.

Man I wish it was still winter...

Cheers:beer:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in kind of a similar situation. It's so easy to get caught up in all the hype and one upmanship. I can still push my skill set further on my XM but because I see lots of guys upgrading to the G4 or Axys I want a newer sled so I can keep up easier. I think I have decided to just cool it and ride what I have for a couple more years and use my skill to keep up not my iron. Work on challenging myself.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had way more fun back in the day with smaller sleds if you ask me. You found something to beat up with out going to the extreme corners of the alpine. Now a days with the turbo and big track its no challenge. Last year on the last trip out with my sled waiting for the hop-a-copter to come pick it out of the alpine due to failed bottom end, I hopped on a guys 144" 800. I had a blast trying to get that thing to go a 10th of the way up a hill everybody else carried the ski's 2ft in the air going over the top. It will never happen but I have told the guys we should all buy smaller sleds and have more fun.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in kind of a similar situation. It's so easy to get caught up in all the hype and one upmanship. I can still push my skill set further on my XM but because I see lots of guys upgrading to the G4 or Axys I want a newer sled so I can keep up easier. I think I have decided to just cool it and ride what I have for a couple more years and use my skill to keep up not my iron. Work on challenging myself.
Baaaaaaaaaaaa, should have kept this bad boy then
282e6008d28527f9317e2ddf15e492df.jpg

Kakwasledder

Reaction score
The sleds we rode in the 80's were a whole lot better than the sleds they rode in the 60's. The sleds in the 2000's were a whole lot better than the sleds in the 80's. Now we have the 850's and such and they are going to be much better than the sleds in the 2000's.

Something tells me the kids that are just getting into the 850's are going to say in 30 years "man, we only had 850's back then. I dont know how we did it".

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had way more fun back in the day with smaller sleds if you ask me. You found something to beat up with out going to the extreme corners of the alpine. Now a days with the turbo and big track its no challenge. Last year on the last trip out with my sled waiting for the hop-a-copter to come pick it out of the alpine due to failed bottom end, I hopped on a guys 144" 800. I had a blast trying to get that thing to go a 10th of the way up a hill everybody else carried the ski's 2ft in the air going over the top. It will never happen but I have told the guys we should all buy smaller sleds and have more fun.

My next sled will be a 155 at the longest. My last sled was a 2014 xm 163 and it went to good. It took the fun out of it for me. Just point it and go where ever pretty much. My 09 154 was way more fun to play around on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was there and it was fun to watch.....I have lots of fun on my old Phazer2, I am excited to try my 153 cat

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned two mountain sleds. First one was a 99 rmk and now a 12 pro. i love my pro, but had more fun on the 99. it was mostly stock with a set of pipes, and a whopping 141" track. I actually had to use what skills I had to get to where I wanted to go. Some days, I wish I still had it.

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chilliwack lake road, you can ride mt cheam and used to be able to ride Borden back in tho's days

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chilliwack lake road, you can ride mt cheam and used to be able to ride Borden back in tho's days
Can't get up Borden anymore? That was a fun ride... From what I remember. 25years ago

Top Bottom