What kinda tires for alberta trails!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go big...My daughter's first quad would actually do pretty good in the muck and sh!t.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 156

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gorilla x lite maybe a alternative to zilla, about a lb heavier, slightly larger tread depth, price? reviews show a smooth riding tire, no idea as to true running size though, zilla 's are close to an inch shorter than stated, unless ya run 15 plus pounds of air.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gorilla x lite maybe a alternative to zilla, about a lb heavier, slightly larger tread depth, price? reviews show a smooth riding tire, no idea as to true running size though, zilla 's are close to an inch shorter than stated, unless ya run 15 plus pounds of air.
I refuse to support gorilla after watching a youtube vid of a couple of their shop donkey's taking a hammer to a rhino axle and then a gorilla axle, all the while saying rhino is cheap chinese junk. Guess they are a little tender that rhino's are half the price...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I refuse to support gorilla after watching a youtube vid of a couple of their shop donkey's taking a hammer to a rhino axle and then a gorilla axle, all the while saying rhino is cheap chinese junk. Guess they are a little tender that rhino's are half the price...

i sure believe everything i see on u-tube and the internet,

i'm not sure that i want axles that are that super strong, or alot stronger than stock, mainly axles are easier and cheaper to replace than differentials and transmissions. up to you though, see pats driveline advertise axles for quads, no idea on price though, i'm thinking price would be my deciding factor, u-tube is a one way conversation showing you one side, the side of the guy behind the camera, i personnally don't hold much faith in that shheeet.

Last edited:

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i sure believe everything i see on u-tube and the internet,

i'm not sure that i want axles that are that super strong, or alot stronger than stock, mainly axles are easier and cheaper to replace than differentials and transmissions. up to you though, see pats driveline advertise axles for quads, no idea on price though, i'm thinking price would be my deciding factor, u-tube is a one way conversation showing you one side, the side of the guy behind the camera, i personnally don't hold much faith in that shheeet.
It was a vid put up by gorilla, bashing rhino axles. Just thought their marketing approach was a little greasy.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having had both stock rhino axles and gorillas I will say the gorillas are WAY stronger. I cant comment on thier marketing strategy tho.

hogwild

Reaction score
Back to the tires ,I also have been researching best all around tire and have decided on mst,had mud zillas junk! I then tried zillas nice and light don't rob power good all around traction. Super good ride ,not! Puncture resistant they are always full of holes, swamp lights very good tires tuff were fast and suck in mud,super atv terminator so far best all around tire I have tried. Very good traction in everything. But very heavey clutching is necessary ride reasonably good,to aggressive for trail only with little mud. They defiantly lean towards mud and a little trail.,thier fore I have ordered outlaw mst reasonably light,good all round and mud traction,tuff very puncture resistant,ride very good.alberta is not !!only mud and swamp. We're I ride we have it all as I'm sure must places in ab do. Go ride then deside what you need..mama might never leave the trail

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
reading this tread again from the start... and wow many opinions for sure!

Well I have two sets of maxxis bighorn orginals that have over 16,000 km on them since Feb of 2007 .... and the ones that know me know how I ride... One puncture only in that time and sure I don't go looking for the deepest holes out there they have just done fine for me... summer and winter...
actually I have shown up many other tires in that time....lol

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the tires ,I also have been researching best all around tire and have decided on mst,had mud zillas junk! I then tried zillas nice and light don't rob power good all around traction. Super good ride ,not! Puncture resistant they are always full of holes, swamp lights very good tires tuff were fast and suck in mud,super atv terminator so far best all around tire I have tried. Very good traction in everything. But very heavey clutching is necessary ride reasonably good,to aggressive for trail only with little mud. They defiantly lean towards mud and a little trail.,thier fore I have ordered outlaw mst reasonably light,good all round and mud traction,tuff very puncture resistant,ride very good.alberta is not !!only mud and swamp. We're I ride we have it all as I'm sure must places in ab do. Go ride then deside what you need..mama might never leave the trail

X2^^^^^^. This tire is amazing, ride is like a radial. Another nice thing is they have awesome traction in reverse. If you get stuck in forward you can almost always back up. If I ever wear mine out I will for sure get another set. They are only five pounds heavier than a zilla.

hogwild

Reaction score
Good to here doorfx,al my researchie for the last two months tells me the mst are the best all terrain tire on the market,I would have said zillas but just not puncture resistant for ab terrain except maybe up north were thier are no rocks but still. Think mst is better,bighorns I have rode with lots of them also a good trail tire but suck in anything that looks like mud,and really were else do we get stuck? So mst all the way

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok I agree, not a bad tire.. but you should clutch your power back that you lost with a heavier tire... ok.. I know for trail riding, who cares, right? as long as you go from A to B and have fun.. im going with what we as humans all like... and that is performance.. im sorry but if you want your quad to perform better than before, well unless you clutch back the power you are more doggie and slower.. that's a fact.. every pound of rotional mass is like putting7 lbs of DEAD WEIGHT on your quad.. its just like altitude, the higher you go the lower your shiftout is and the doggier your quad gets.. same with tires... so if your looking at just 5 pounds heavier than a zilla per piece...well that's 20 lbs more for all 4 then and x that by 7 = like putting another 140 lbs of dead weight on your quad over the zilla's...

don t gt me wong.. you can clutch back the power with 30 " or even 34" tires but if you don't then it becomes a problem for the performance minded...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ This.

Edit: I personally found my machine had the potential for WAAAY more speed than I wanted, so intentionally went to much heavier tires after running several sets of Zillas over the years. Slowed me down on the trails and improved the part of the ride I enjoy the most: the mud.

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok I agree, not a bad tire.. but you should clutch your power back that you lost with a heavier tire... ok.. I know for trail riding, who cares, right? as long as you go from A to B and have fun.. im going with what we as humans all like... and that is performance.. im sorry but if you want your quad to perform better than before, well unless you clutch back the power you are more doggie and slower.. that's a fact.. every pound of rotional mass is like putting7 lbs of DEAD WEIGHT on your quad.. its just like altitude, the higher you go the lower your shiftout is and the doggier your quad gets.. same with tires... so if your looking at just 5 pounds heavier than a zilla per piece...well that's 20 lbs more for all 4 then and x that by 7 = like putting another 140 lbs of dead weight on your quad over the zilla's...

don t gt me wong.. you can clutch back the power with 30 " or even 34" tires but if you don't then it becomes a problem for the performance minded...

And that 140 lbs comes in handy when I pull your performance out of the mud hole lol j/k
Ps : the wife loves her sticker.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol.. I don't go deep enough.. and when I get stuck I don't try to get out.. it just wrecks parts! hehe.... with 87rwhp now..unless I get high centered (cause I have only 9 1/2 inches of clearance ) I just power thru it... at least its working in the deep snow this winter. best build I have done and definitey puts a smile on my face every time I ride her... cant beat power on tap...

yeah I sill get a kick out of that sticker..hehe

Ranarampage

Reaction score
whoa... Thought this thread was dead a long time ago...

Well I got the xtp and bought a xxc at the sametime. So far the stock tires are working great in the snow for me. I will be putting kenda bear claw htr or original big horns on them. Very surprised that the stock tires are perfoming pretty well!

Reason for the choice, I tend to avoid mud pits and such now, I just need a tire that when I encounter mud in the way and it will get me to the other side.

Top Bottom