What HID/headlights are you running?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my 2010 Silverado's lights for nighttime in particular, and because our days are pretty short. I don't want to do the Lightforce setup....

I am looking at dropping the HID conversion into my high beam. They are legal here in the stock housing. There isn't a lot of traffic around on the highway, and I would be turning them off anyway.

As far as brand names and colour temps go, what are you guys running? I am looking at HID Canada, in a 4300k, just for the high beam for less than $200.

Thoughts?

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do piles of night time driving myself..... and I hate meeting HID's with a passion. 100 watt high beam and 80 watt lows connected as a 6 high arrangement ( my fogs obviously) on high beam is plenty..... I am stock ride height, have my lights aimed properly and don't get flashed on low. In fact I am less annoying on low than your current truck is.... The GMT900 headlights are great for getting brighted especially if your fogs are on, but at least your high and low are on at the same time stock. I ran my 6 hi setup prior to swapping the bulbs and noticed a large change in upgrading the bulbs. Mine have no color on the lense of the bulb like silverstars and nighthawk junk and just a clean bright light.

I guess if you want just the highs without a projector lense that is fine. It's the scatter, blinding b.s. with the lows and fogs in stock housings that drives me nuts.

If you are set on HID's I am of no help.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you're doing hi beam only, contact sales@vvme.com they will sell you a 55 watt kit for less than 50 bucks. tell them the color temp you want, and bulb style. I think they are a 9005 for GM high beam. I have them in my truck as well as my commander and they are extremely bright. I've bought 5 or 6 kits from them for other people and so far all are still working good, they are chinese and I think shipping is free via DHL.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh and if you're doing hi beam only, you better rig up the "all four on" for your brights, HID's are terrible on hi only setups because they can take up to 30 seconds to warm up to full brightness. gets pretty dark until they do if your low beams shut off when you flick the switch.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh and if you're doing hi beam only, you better rig up the "all four on" for your brights, HID's are terrible on hi only setups because they can take up to 30 seconds to warm up to full brightness. gets pretty dark until they do if your low beams shut off when you flick the switch.

GMT900's are all 4 on bright stock.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he should be good to go then, how about DRL's? are they in the high beams on them? might be a problem if it feeds low voltage to the ballast, i'm not certain.

No, they are on the lowbeam circuit. He technically should be fine.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on guys thanks for the help. Mine has the 'all four on with the hi-beam' setup.

Now, what wattage should I go with, 35 or 55w? Is there a risk of melting stock wiring, etc with that extra wattage? I think I will go for the 4300k as far as temp. I'm not huge into the blue look.

This retro-solutions site looks good though!

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run "Beamers" in my F150 and the wife's Sante Fe. They are the 6K's, I believe. My truck has both filiments HID and I like them a lot. I have adjusted them down to be nicer to others on the road. The Sante Fe has projector lights in it and I still don't know if I like that set-up. It is a "bluer" light and not as bright. I do like the fact that the lights don't reflect snowflakes like the stock ones do. That makes my night drives into BC a lot nicer. I have started wearing yellow sunglasses at night to make it easier on my eyes when the dipsticks with mis-adjusted and high beam lights come at me. That helps a lot.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm down to Beamers or HID Canada. Prob in 4300k. How 'blue' are the 6k's? probably sort of dependent on company i would think? Looking for bright white, not that Canadian tire ricer look.

Easy install? Basically just plug it in sort of thing? Do you think I need the relay harness??

Cant drive another winter with the stock hi's....

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6000s are a white light. Once you get to 8000s then they are more blue. I have 6000s in my hi los and fog lights. Love them. Make sure when you put them in you burn them in for 20 minutes without switching the lights off. The brand I have is lumens. Easy plug and play with a connection to the battery. Ask where you buy them from for a wiring diagram and you can't go wrong.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know about the burn in. Checked out Lumens, but looks like you can't shop online, no prices. Drives me crazy.

Thanks for help guys!

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not like coming onto a vehicle with HID lights. I will flash back HID users blind me I blind you, And your lights don't respond fast enough to flash back. (sorry) Most guys dont do the research on these lights. I have talked to a expert on lighting and I was told that the HID lights will fit in the stock lens, But the stock lens work with stock bulbs. The lens can not through the light proper causing the light to spread improperly. Blinding the oncoming traffic. Only my 2 cents worth.......

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not like coming onto a vehicle with HID lights. I will flash back HID users blind me I blind you, And your lights don't respond fast enough to flash back. (sorry) Most guys dont do the research on these lights. I have talked to a expert on lighting and I was told that the HID lights will fit in the stock lens, But the stock lens work with stock bulbs. The lens can not through the light proper causing the light to spread improperly. Blinding the oncoming traffic. Only my 2 cents worth.......

That is true. Projector beams are the best way to get the most out of you're hid's. I have run three different sets in my car. Beamers, I had problems with both lights working at once, never could get them to work together. Also at 6000k those lights were very blue. I now have a set from retro-solutions (on-line) on all three of my vehicles and have had no issues with them. The 5000k still have a hint of blue in them but put out great light but the 4300 in my truck are pure white and give the best useable light according to almost every company that sells good hid's.
Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree. That's why I am only doing the hi beam, as they are turned off when I see another vehicle, which up here, can be few and far between. I know about how they are not instantaneous for a flash back. I don't care that much if the light scatters, sort of why I like them, as they light up a lot of road. If I were doing low beams, absolutely I would get projectors. I drive with them in a work vehicle (GM), in the hi beam only, and they are very nice for night. But I hear you, the driving lights/lo's in a stock housing can be brutal.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you're doing hi beam only, contact sales@vvme.com they will sell you a 55 watt kit for less than 50 bucks. tell them the color temp you want, and bulb style. I think they are a 9005 for GM high beam. I have them in my truck as well as my commander and they are extremely bright. I've bought 5 or 6 kits from them for other people and so far all are still working good, they are chinese and I think shipping is free via DHL.

I'm running VVME as well, I also know of about 6 other people with the kit with no issues. Very good price and quick shipping.

Top Bottom