what do i need to do to get a chalenger extreme on my xtx

muddybike

Reaction score
i was wondering what mods. i will have to do to get a 144x15x2.5 on my xtx. what do u recomend for drivers, gear ratio, ect.

thanks

twincam88

Reaction score
do they make a 144 ce i know they have a 146x16 ce. but you would have to start by looking what pitch you can get the track in. run extrovert drives cut out the tunnel protectors which you should do anyways cause they build up with lots of ice!!. gearing is a tough one. what is your stock gearing? try to keep it around the 2 ratio(divde the big # by the little #)

muddybike

Reaction score
the stock gearing is 21 39. which is about 1.86. i could change it to a 20 39 and have a 1.95 . or i could change the gear ratio to 19 to 39 and get about a 2.05. yes you can get the track in a 144. but do you think i would have any troubles with it hitting the heat exchanger.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM E&S on here. Darrens done lots of these, it's been a while since I've done one.

I believe the XTX come with extroverts on and you shouldn't have to change your gearing,your not changing the length. If you buy timbersled drop bracket i believe you can fit a 16 wide on as well, and if you cut out the tunnel protectors you should be fine too, the clearance between the heat exchanger is about a 1/4 inch.

twincam88

Reaction score
i think you will still have to gear cause your putting on a taller lug. its like going from a 33" tire to 35". it will utimatly change your gear ration and personally i would run the 19/39. i have 18/40 with 7 tooth 3 pitch drives on my 153 and still pull 90mph! and the xtx did not come with extroverts. on the mtx with a 3 pitch 7 tooth that track still has about 1/4 inch. you can run a 3 in there with cooler mods from CR. where abouts you from in sask?

mtnviper

Reaction score
Website
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
With the stock 9 tooth 2.52" pitch drivers, a 2" fits no problem. A 2 1/4" should fit, but it will be close. For a 2 1/2" 144" you'll need to go with 8 tooth 2.52" drivers.
If you use 9 tooth extrovert driver's on an XTX, the front of the rails will need to be shortened approx 5/16"-3/8" or the extrovert teeth will hit the rail caps as the suspension compresses.
It's not to bad of a job to do when the skid is out. I removed the black plastic caps, trimed the rail, drilled some new holes for the plastic cap and hyfax and bolt it back together. Main thing is not to cut the rail to short, as you'll need to leave enough material (aluminum) to drill a new hole for the plastic cap.
Rail triming may not be required for 8 tooth extroverts due to they're smaller diameter.

For gearing 19/40 works real well on an XTX with taller tracks and 9 tooth drivers. If you decide to go with 8 tooth driver's 20/40 should work.

Bill

link to driver specs, Snowmobile related tech - FOUR STROKE SOLUTIONS LLC

sasknytroxtx

Reaction score
Does changing to a 8 tooth are 9 tooth extrovert drive change your top speed? Approximately how much do you cut off the rail for the 9 tooth to fit? Is gearing a much when changing drives?

mtnviper

Reaction score
Website
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Changing from a 9 tooth (2.52" pitch) to a 8 tooth (2.52" pitch) sprocket will reduce your effective gear ratio by 1.12.
For example
9 tooth sprocket with 20/39 gears has a final ratio of 1.95 to 1
8 tooth sprocket with 20/39 gears has a final ratio of 2.18 to 1
9 tooth sprocket with 18/39 gears has a final ratio of 2.16 to 1
Switching from 9 tooths to 8 tooth sprockets would be very close to gearing down 2 teeth on the top gear.

Normally approx 3/8" (approx 9mm) is removed from the front of the rails.
The shaft size for Yamahas is 1 1/16" hex.

Bill

Top Bottom