Welsch Lakes (thunderwater area)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how much snow is up around T-water these days?? thinkin if house purchase does not get in the way i might try and break this the coming weekend

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More snow at forester this year I've seen before. Have not been onto T-water, waaay to windy each trip. No precip in over a week.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the line I would try (if it was me). Should be a good year to try, lots of snow to cover the little trees. Hardest part I think will be getting the transition from the far right heading kinda away from the creek on the bottom 1/3, going left across that slope back towards the creek. After that, about 2/3 of the way up it looks like there is a little flat spot that a guy could re-group on (just below the hiking trail) and maybe shoot straight up the last little bit in that little draw. The vertical exageration on Google sucks though, what looks spomewhat gentle on Google is in fact really steep I find (not the first time I've found that out). Rough geometry on that climb indicates about 1000 ft vertically and just under 3000 ft linear, so you are looking at roughly a 3:1 slope, doable in some snow conditions. All the being said, it might be totally possible or not at all in real life, there's only one way to find out!

Attachments

• Welsch.jpg
    Welsch.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 272

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hear yea modman, and seen the line you got pointed out as well a couple of others.

i belive it wont be too bad, worst part being that dam creek crosing at the end of the loggin show. frig its a 6ft drop on each side with 3ft boulders scattered everywhere. Was thinking about shoveling in a side approach angle versus stright up and stright down. All i know is if i make the creek crossing, i aint turnin around till i get to the lakes!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hear yea modman, and seen the line you got pointed out as well a couple of others.

i belive it wont be too bad, worst part being that dam creek crosing at the end of the loggin show. frig its a 6ft drop on each side with 3ft boulders scattered everywhere. Was thinking about shoveling in a side approach angle versus stright up and stright down. All i know is if i make the creek crossing, i aint turnin around till i get to the lakes!!!

Good idea on the angle approach, are you talking east end of the valley where the parking lot is or west end at the end of the old old cut block? Might be an option to trim the creek on the south side and cross farther up away from the old bridge crossing.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea on the angle approach, are you talking east end of the valley where the parking lot is or west end at the end of the old old cut block? Might be an option to trim the creek on the south side and cross farther up away from the old bridge crossing.

the creek crossing at the east/NE end of the valley. The west/SW end i dont know what it would be like, probably not bad given its only a 5ft drop to the valley bottom. The problem at this NE creek crossing is it looks OK on google earth, reality is theres these monster bushs right aorund here, with the knowledge i have know, angle approach is really the only way across. LOL it was difficult the first time with a 136, let alone a 163 that has a lot of track torque to ram front end parts. Last time... when we did make it, i made it in half way and it wasnt that bad on the road.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only remember 1 creek crossing right after the parking lot..... there is a 12" diameter log across it in the summer. pin it and ride the skinny!lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the creek crossing at the east/NE end of the valley. The west/SW end i dont know what it would be like, probably not bad given its only a 5ft drop to the valley bottom. The problem at this NE creek crossing is it looks OK on google earth, reality is theres these monster bushs right aorund here, with the knowledge i have know, angle approach is really the only way across. LOL it was difficult the first time with a 136, let alone a 163 that has a lot of track torque to ram front end parts. Last time... when we did make it, i made it in half way and it wasnt that bad on the road.

136"? LOL......how long ago did u try it! Creek crossing might be steeper there because that is the old bridge location and the bridge is gone (assuming you knew that), usually built up around the abuttments a little bit more, makes it a farther drop to the creek.....LOL That's my rationale for crossing away from it, the drop in and out might not be as bad, might save you from shovelling.

Or you can ride the log as P-D suggested, should only be 2" of track hanging off each side......make sure the video camera is ready if you try it though............. :D

vic

Reaction score
Made it up early Dec not sure about google map shows lots of trees but when you get there we went up the left side pretty open with stock sleds if you got turbo you can pick any line.My son has been there since but not made it up because of over cast or windy conditions.I would think its pretty easy this time of year with lot of peps going up.Didnt know there was another lake up to the right ,has anyone been up there??
Here is the line I would try (if it was me). Should be a good year to try, lots of snow to cover the little trees. Hardest part I think will be getting the transition from the far right heading kinda away from the creek on the bottom 1/3, going left across that slope back towards the creek. After that, about 2/3 of the way up it looks like there is a little flat spot that a guy could re-group on (just below the hiking trail) and maybe shoot straight up the last little bit in that little draw. The vertical exageration on Google sucks though, what looks spomewhat gentle on Google is in fact really steep I find (not the first time I've found that out). Rough geometry on that climb indicates about 1000 ft vertically and just under 3000 ft linear, so you are looking at roughly a 3:1 slope, doable in some snow conditions. All the being said, it might be totally possible or not at all in real life, there's only one way to find out!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not many go in there, we rode up to the top of the boulder field 2 weeks ago to ski it and there was no tracks.

vic

Reaction score
pano-dude have you gone to the lake to the right of Thunder Lake? Which way is the boulder field from top of Thunder lake?
Not many go in there, we rode up to the top of the boulder field 2 weeks ago to ski it and there was no tracks.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pano-dude have you gone to the lake to the right of Thunder Lake? Which way is the boulder field from top of Thunder lake?

Vic,

I'm under the impression you're talking about climbing the headwall in/around going up to Thunder water. Where as this thread is discussing breaking up to the Welsch lakes area to the SE quite a few miles. Not sure if this will help, but thought I'd chime in...?

• Thanks
Reactions: vic

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made it up early Dec not sure about google map shows lots of trees but when you get there we went up the left side pretty open with stock sleds if you got turbo you can pick any line.My son has been there since but not made it up because of over cast or windy conditions.I would think its pretty easy this time of year with lot of peps going up.Didnt know there was another lake up to the right ,has anyone been up there??

vic fyi... your describing a completly diffrent area, up thunderwater lakes. this area is about 10km before that. No one goes up here anymore, only every heard of a couple ppl and that was back about 8-10 years ago.

Thinking i am gonna give it a try on sunday, unless another "area" comes to mind ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: vic

vic

Reaction score
K got it. Turn off to Welsh Lakes was up about 6 yrs. ago on a trail to the top with a turn around.If you got off your sled you sank to your arm pits nice views up there but didn't see any lakes ,maybe got 6-8 km in. Thanks
vic fyi... your describing a completly diffrent area, up thunderwater lakes. this area is about 10km before that. No one goes up here anymore, only every heard of a couple ppl and that was back about 8-10 years ago.

Thinking i am gonna give it a try on sunday, unless another "area" comes to mind ;)

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, was all that bark on the sleds worth it?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never went here, thinking this weekend...

lol i wonder how many ppl are reading this and had a look see up here.... waiting... :p

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the the thunder water area? Looks cool and would like to check it out. Stageing area location would be sweet. Thanks.

will

Reaction score
Welsch lakes not a good place to go with bad avy conditions, I've been there 3 times and seen avalanches or signs of each time.

Top Bottom