Ways to de-tune a 800?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tape idea is good or unhook the power valves. The clutch spring may work but may make it too trenchy to get up on the snow resulting in more stucks.

What you talking about Willis ?? Lol
More trenching at start is caused buy aggressive clutch engagement .
Higher force not lower .

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you talking about Willis ?? Lol
More trenching at start is caused buy aggressive clutch engagement .
Higher force not lower .
My bad, you're right. I meant chainsawing where too early an engagement applies too much load and the sled can't pull track speed quick enough to get up on top.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600's have less power and are not easier to ride, wife tried a 600 pro last year and found my 800 much better
sorry for the off topic but how much hp difference is there between the two? A fellow selling a 600 on kiji said its only 14 hp but im not sure if I quite trust that

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800 etec = 150 -160 hp +\-
600 etec = 115 - 120 hp +\-
Numbers move around a bit pending on who's preaching them ?Lol

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i couldnt get my mds clutch kit dialed for cooke last year. I dont know what the fawk was going on but i could only see 7500 rpm. I set to steves settings and changed it a few times then i took all the weight out no success. Funny thing is his settings for 1500 ft were too light.

then i burned a belt down stuck climbing too high and turning out to late around a tree......my primary sheave without the belt on would stick full closed or full open, sometimes it would move the sled forward when i pull started it and would have to start it on its side.

even though all that happened my 800 pro still out climbed and out ran my iq 700 rmk like that. guys in my group were kinda shocked it wasnt full reving. I still got around and climbed some stuff, played in the trees alot, lots of deep un touched snow, couldnt touch guys running perfect climbing and things but i was still having a good time.

i would get the 800 and follow pfi572's recommendations like i stated before.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason I want to detune it is to let the wife get used to the difference of a 800 vs 600. I know how she is and how she learns so I know I don't want to throw her on a 800, scare herself and then not go riding anymore.

The reason I want an 800 is we'll be looking at a used sled. There's about 6 600's on kijiji and 80 800's. it's easy to figure out which one you'll get the better deal on. Plus the idea is to get her up to the next step without having to buy another sled next year. The amount that I would lose in trading in sleds will be a lot more than if I can accomplish the same thing through simple clutching.
Who do we know that made this mistake and is now buying a 600 because the 800 was too scary but knowing I will be going back to an 800 for her if she gets comfortable and back into sledding on a 600. Wish I woulda went your route

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^
I didn't see any comment to that??
The 600's are great and are a over achiever IMO.
Just to close to that same price as 800 I think.
Had a 600 etec expedition and was great power.
But if they built a 800 I would have bought it .
Just saying.

Top Bottom