Warranty issues importing vehicles from USA to Canada

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get turned down on warranty when they imported a new vehicle from the USA.Thanks in advance..!

Chunk

Reaction score
The mfg all have their policies public. If you get turned down its because you bought a brand that won't honor warranty if imported to another country. Most if not all will not allow you to buy new from their dealers.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
We brought a Dodge diesel into Canada from the US brand new, and as soon as it gets registered in Canada, you have no warranty in the US or Canada...VIN is flagged, and they tell you this right up front...

Dont know about other makes...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
LH can't you take it back down to the US to get warranty work done?

No...as chunk said Dodge completely voids entire warranty based on the export. The dealer was great, helped us set it up so we could run MT plates on it, so we did that for about 10k just in case there was a major factory issue. Soon as we felt good about it, we registered it in AB. Checked with my local dealer about 5 days later and it was already flagged. I seldom get any warranty work done and the price difference was worth it. This was on an 08. For my 2012 the price was so close it wasnt worth it so bought at my local dealer.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference if you buy new or used? A buddy of mine bought a chevy that was a couple years old from the states and actually had a dealer up here call him to tell him there was a recall on his truck, plus he had a few other warranty issues with no questions?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Is there a difference if you buy new or used? A buddy of mine bought a chevy that was a couple years old from the states and actually had a dealer up here call him to tell him there was a recall on his truck, plus he had a few other warranty issues with no questions?

Dont know if new or used matters, but Chev seems to be ok. We have a dealer here in town that often brings in US vehicles and sells them on the lot, mostly used from what I see...

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GMC / Chevy has no issues with warranty in canada (or not from my personal experience so far) when imported from the US.
Family Friend has brought back multiple BMW's without issue either.

Top Bottom