Vari-Flow

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive just received a multi-range Variflow and after reading through the instruction a couple of times Im wondering if anyone might have some advice on the install. Its going on a 96' 670 with stock jetting and Mikuni carbs any help would be great. Any of you shop guys in Edmonton, would I bring the sled in or just the carbs and the kit to have it installed?
Thanks for your time and input

tanner

Reaction score
I had a vari-flow installed on my 02 rmk last year, (mikuni carbs). I rode for 2 days with it on then i took it off, it would bog off the line every time no matter the jetting or what i set it to. I will look tomarrow and see if i remember the orientation.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any chance youi could have figuered out why it was bogging? Might have not had the appropriate fitting in the inlet and outlet tubing?

tanner

Reaction score
mayby. The polaris dealership installed it and i had the mod shop look at it and they both thought it was rite.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My experience with Variflow is negitive,dont install it on anything unless you like to mess around with it and even that sometimes dosnt work that good.The Attac system is the one you want,I put it on my Xlt and a bud put it on his RMK at the same time and I dont believe we ever metioned it again
We rode around here and made several trips to the mountains trouble free,install it and forget it!
My Two Cents!
catmando!

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my rmk has a vari flow on it..and it works perfect...runs good off start and every thing...just up high u have to adjust it..witch is pretty simple

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running a vari-flow on my Mod and feel it's a great addition for tuning the sled. My machine is mainly for the hills so i've set my jetting that way, just click the dial and check my egts to get my temps set. I've had both the attacc and vari-flow and both are good. Keith.

wildf

Reaction score
I installed a varyflow set up on my 01 800 mountaincat when I first bought it in 01 and have never touched it since. I have rode home at fourty below and in the mountains and never touched any jets. Good idea to run in conjunction with didgitron and can dial in without burning up.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, say the vari flow works fine should I install an EGT gauge and monitor ratios that way or sshould i get an air fuel ratio gauge what would be best, keep in mind it is non turbo??

Stevo

Reaction score
Ok, say the vari flow works fine should I install an EGT gauge and monitor ratios that way or sshould i get an air fuel ratio gauge what would be best, keep in mind it is non turbo??

I ran a Vari-flow on my piped 700 Mountain Max for 5 years without anything more than checking the plugs. Mind you, I wasn't trying to tune it to a razor's edge either.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, nor am I but I would like to be sure not to blow my shite up. maybe pyro isnt necessary? Just looking for options to monitor the system efficiently.

Stevo

Reaction score
Thanks, nor am I but I would like to be sure not to blow my shite up. maybe pyro isnt necessary? Just looking for options to monitor the system efficiently.

I considered a Digitron, but I'm cheap and it's not hard to check the plugs. Obviously, EGT's would be easier but not strictly necessary.

I certainly understand your desire to keep it one piece.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friday the vari flow system does work well but does need to be set up properly the first time. The hose that runs from the carb to the dial needs to be a certain length and the proper orifice installed for the altitude range that you will be riding at. I think i'm using the brass orifice but don't quote me on that cause i would have to run out to the shed and check to be 100% sure. I've been using the vari flow on an '01 700 MMax since new and haven't had any problems as of yet. I ride anywhere from the prairies right to 8000 ft. Darren at E&S Motorsports in Fort Sask. set mine up.

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok had the sled up and down the back alley seems to run good maybe some tuning with the idle. The tube from the carb got ripped in half tho by the clutch so Ive replaced and secured that, Ive install the brass fitting about 10" from the dial, the tube should also be 30" Im still unsure about the source of the vacuum ive used a nipple that was likely from the stock HAC system should I be able to feel a vacuum at Idle or under throttle??

tanner

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply re: vari-flow I am having trouble figuring it out. My engine it in for an overhaul and i thought it would be back in by now. I would like to get mine working too. My engine has a port,polish,twin split second pipes and v force reeds and i thuoght the combination just might not work. i will try it again at brake in and see what happens.

Top Bottom