v-force 3 reeds

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody installed vforce 3 reeds on a 04 rev 800? Tried on mine, but cannot get stock airbox on. Dealer says installed stock spacers and high performance guru says don't but stock box will still fit. Tried again, could not get box on. Airbox hitting jackshaft. Called guru, he explained how he does it. Retried again, still no luck. Thinking about taking sled to guru and saying do it. This hurts because being a heavy duty mechanic, I should be able to figure it out. What do you think?:confused:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody installed vforce 3 reeds on a 04 rev 800? Tried on mine, but cannot get stock airbox on. Dealer says installed stock spacers and high performance guru says don't but stock box will still fit. Tried again, could not get box on. Airbox hitting jackshaft. Called guru, he explained how he does it. Retried again, still no luck. Thinking about taking sled to guru and saying do it. This hurts because being a heavy duty mechanic, I should be able to figure it out. What do you think?:confused:

My 06X rev was tight as well. I had trouble in the begining, then noticed my boot had flipped over causing a bind. Put a little WD on the carb/boots to help slip on all the way. Then my box went on way easier. P.S I also trimmed my jackshaft cover back so the carb bowls don't rub a hole in them.

Next time I have it apart I'll snap some Pics

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need the spacers, but I've never installed v-force on a rev.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 06X rev was tight as well. I had trouble in the begining, then noticed my boot had flipped over causing a bind. Put a little WD on the carb/boots to help slip on all the way. Then my box went on way easier. P.S I also trimmed my jackshaft cover back so the carb bowls don't rub a hole in them.

Next time I have it apart I'll snap some Pics

I can put the airbox on the carbs and lined it all up. Still need 2 in to get past. I'm using the kickazz filters for now but would prefer to have the stock airbox. Thanks Overkill:beer:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spacers don't defeat the purpose of the reeds at all.. It will fit, but yes it is a tight fit.. i've installed lots of them.. Double check and make sure that your carbs are seated all the way into the carb boots on the motor side because if they aren't it'll make even harder to install the airbox.. Also while you have the airbox off double check that when you squeeze the throttle lever to the bar that you are getting 100% full throttle..

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spacers don't defeat the purpose of the reeds at all.. It will fit, but yes it is a tight fit.. i've installed lots of them.. Double check and make sure that your carbs are seated all the way into the carb boots on the motor side because if they aren't it'll make even harder to install the airbox.. Also while you have the airbox off double check that when you squeeze the throttle lever to the bar that you are getting 100% full throttle..

Ok question, when the testing was done on the vf reeds, there was a 2 hp increase without the spacers. With the spacers installed there was barely 1 hp increase. Could you please explain this to me so I don't get confused. Thanks

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's the scoop straight from v force. Glengine is right, if you want more bottom end, keep the spacers in. If you want more top end, remove the spacers. As for the stock air box fitting, I've triple checked and checked and tried, no way is that box going on. Made sure I had correct boots and reeds, everything correct. So I'll put the spacers in and live with it. Thanks for help.:beer::beer::beer:

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
I installed my reeds with no problems. Everything fits. I have had 3 trips on the install and no problems. Will go over the sled soon.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My v-force fit fine. kinda hard to put the air box on but i does fit with out the spacers.

wangdoo800

Reaction score
I called V-force and they said no spacers.If you compare the stock reed cage and the V-force you will find that tthe Vforce reed is a 1/4'' shorter than the stock doo ones.
The v-force reed is approx, a 1/4 '' further out in the intake with the spacer and without the spacer it is about a 1/4'' further in. If you want the same positioning as the stock reed you need a 1/4'' spacer.

Back on the 01 summit with no spacer.The reed was to far into the intake port not allowing the fuel to atomize properly,so the big fix was a 1/4'' spacer,and 2 years later doo came out with the 1/2'' spacer.

Really I dont think you are going to notice a difference between a 1/4'' further in or out.
Make it easier on yourself and go with no spacer and you will have no worry about the carb or airbox rubbing on the jackshaft or have the headache of trying to get proper fitment of the airbox and the time spent battling to get it in.

JUST MY 2 CENTS

Top Bottom