UPS and NAFTA

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got some parts from Highlifter a month ago. Part came within a week. Was at my doorstep when I got home. Today I get a f'n letter from UPS saying I owe them $77 for brokerage fees now. When my parts arrived there was all the Nafta paperwork with them and from what I can tell I shouldn't have to pay the brokerage. Anyone been through this? It could take months to sift through all this BS.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got some parts from Highlifter a month ago. Part came within a week. Was at my doorstep when I got home. Today I get a f'n letter from UPS saying I owe them $77 for brokerage fees now. When my parts arrived there was all the Nafta paperwork with them and from what I can tell I shouldn't have to pay the brokerage. Anyone been through this? It could take months to sift through all this BS.
Every time I have used UPS there is broker fees, if you can specify USPS there is rarely broker fees.
Good luck getting out of them.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can self broker it. Just notify UPS and you will have to take the paperwork to Canada customs. UPS will even provide all the paperwork you need. I can't remember the number of the form but it's a self clearance form. You will save whatever their brokerage fee was. The rest you will have to pay. They started doing this a year or so ago. Probably to many pissed off people threatening their drivers lol

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will not ship anything UPS for this reason now. Total BS. USPS seems to be the way right now
I bought some stuff from Northern Freight (Princess Auto of the USA) a year ago....they said they only use UPS, so I told them we will just cancel the order. (I've had all the same experiences over the years with UPS) They transferred the call around a bit, but finally got a guy who knew his stuff. He told me that THEY pay the UPS fees up front on their end and fill out the proper paperwork and there would be NO additional charges when the package arrived. I get his name, time of day, extension, etc and make note. I told him if UPS charges me one thin dime, I would have his arse. Well...package arrives a week later. I sign for it. Guy leaves. Hmmmm...wait for a week, then two....no mail from UPS with funny fees. Bottom line: it CAN be done, but daaaam I don't trust UPS. Generally, I'm in the same mindset as Sirkdev...if they only ship UPS, I will find another way or another supplier.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NAFTA is duties, which you wouldn't have paid unless the Highlifter parts were built in China. Brokerage is UPS charging to fill out your paperwork for you.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same chit, different pile..... I bought my gf some stuff online, from the U.S. 5-7 day shipping for 6.95 and I agreed. Then I got hit for another 12 bucks to Pay Pal :confused:
I missed the driver today, but found out I need another 22 bucks to release it from Canada Post, via UPS :confused: again.....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am really getting to the point of never buying anything out of the states unless I am down there. Too many hands in the cookie jar. Dollar too low, etc etc.
I'll have to agree.... It's just not worth it, unless you are there in person.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all you need to do is call them and ask them why they did not call you first to ask for permission to clear the goods on your behalf. Most people don't realize that and thats how they get away with it. All you need to do is tell them you had your own arrangements for custom clearance. We have samples / goods crossing the border all the time and seen them try this many times and that is when they get the call and charges are reversed.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
usps and canadapost have a long standing agreement with each other to ship each others items so no brokerage fees. You want to use ups go ahead but expect to pay big dollars.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry but this is not exactly true. All goods crossing the border maybe subjected to random customs inspection and if that happens they will call you in advance to ask who the broker will be. Fortunately, it is pretty rare but has happened.

usps and canadapost have a long standing agreement with each other to ship each others items so no brokerage fees. You want to use ups go ahead but expect to pay big dollars.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just quoted what I read off of Canadapost site so maybe inform them they are wrong

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NOTE on Brokerage Fees (there are none): Because USPS & CanadaPost have long standing agreements to handle each other's mail, brokers' fees are NEVER charged. EXPENSIVE BROKERS FEES MUST be CHARGED BY MOST OTHER COURIER/SHIPPING SERVICES. BUT NOT USPS or CANADA POST! :)

This was just a copy and past so do not think I type any of this. Ebay as a guide line to all the brokerage fees you will have to pay using different carriers.

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have actually had Canada post charge a small brokerage fee and I paid the GST, and duty to them. Like stated above its a random thing with CP. Probably not with personal stuff but if they suspect it's for resale they will. If I ship stuff to home no problems , but if I have it shipped to my work address its a different story

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmmm I have been charged a brokerage fee on a couple occasions by Canada Post but this was a couple years ago. Maybe with larger internet purchases they have changed. Tks for the info!

NOTE on Brokerage Fees (there are none): Because USPS & CanadaPost have long standing agreements to handle each other's mail, brokers' fees are NEVER charged. EXPENSIVE BROKERS FEES MUST be CHARGED BY MOST OTHER COURIER/SHIPPING SERVICES. BUT NOT USPS or CANADA POST! :)

This was just a copy and past so do not think I type any of this. Ebay as a guide line to all the brokerage fees you will have to pay using different carriers.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a large ticket item coming in tomorrow or wed. I will get back and to let you know what happen. I have never yet been charge with usps yet (90 times). I have been charged every time using ups though.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been billed brokerage by Fed Ex Ground. When I queried the brokerage bill Fed Ex told me if the item is ship via "Air Freight" there is no brokerage which is cheaper in the long run on lighter items. For heavier stuff I have it shipped to At the Border Storage in Sweet Grass MT usually shipping is free within the continental US Border Storage - Home

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taxes can be charged, no duty on stuff made in Canada usa or mexico (free trade agreement). I will find out soon if I am going to be charged taxes.

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There can be 3 different charges when importing:

-import duties - Depends on what the item is as to cost or if covered by NAFTA then 0
- Taxes - GST and PST - Usually always has to be paid - Based on value that shipper fills out on forms
- Brokerage/ Handling fee - Amount that shipping company charges you to submit paperwork to customs on your behalf

UPS brokerage used to be a min $50 charge if not paid before entry - to save money, call UPS once item has shipped but before it crosses the border and prepay the taxes and duties then the brokerage fee is reasonable.

Canada customs importing by mail -

Top Bottom