Two men attacked on quads by grizzly

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is becoming a more prominent issue with the increase in grizzly population In our riding zones. I ride this area frequently and I've seen several indications of large bears and scat. I often get a funny look when people see a shotgun strapped to my chest and bear spray in my pocket as the first line of defense when riding this location, well it's for a reason and find it alarming how many people are not prepared to come face to face with a pizzed off bear on the path.

Here's a recent story that happened in this area I speak of where two men were attacked on their quads by a grizz protecting her cubs. Thankfully no one was killed. A study I read long ago suggested that bear spray is 95% effective in deterring an attack where firearms were about 50% effective in preventing an attack unless you get real lucky and hit the sweet spot in a nano seconds reaction time and have the firearm loaded like your not supposed to while riding. I'm only loaded while stopped for a break.

Man attacked by grizzly bear in Ghost wilderness area expected to recover | Calgary Herald

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spray is very affective when used properly. Their scent glands are 2100 times them of a human. My defender and 385 grain sabot also does the trick, but i'd choose spray any day. I carry both when tracking wounded bears while guiding. This is a very unique and rare case being he was on a atv.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is becoming a more prominent issue with the increase in grizzly population In our riding zones.

Remember the bears live there you dont .... what would you do if an intruder posed a threat to your family

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is becoming a more prominent issue with the increase in grizzly population In our riding zones.

Remember the bears live there you dont .... what would you do if an intruder posed a threat to your family

shoot the bears! that's my home on the weekends

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I'm actually really glad to hear that SRD (Fish & Feathers) aren't going after the bear, she was just protecting her young, its a fact of our chosen recreational activities, we are in their habitat. It's no different than if a bear wandered into your back yard, you would attack it to protect your young.

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take care of the situation at hand one way or another and I never suggested the bears reaction was unfounded. On the other hand we are at the top of the food chain and this maybe their home but this is also our back yard. With this increase in population the grizz is being driven to spread further east into the foothills, it's great to see they are now starting to thrive but as they do encounters will increase and awareness is key so they can co exist with human presents.
Data suggests that grizzly population is twice what it was before they made it on the protected list, ranchers complaining of a rise in grizzlies raiding their grain bins and feasting on their livestock is becoming a problem and many suggest a controlled hunt should be in place for these over populated zones or they be relocated to less populated zones.

Top Bottom