Top End Bog

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ? Will a dealer have this test sheet on record forA owner to pick up and look to see if all steps were done And checked ?

3pinripper

Reaction score
OnlyPoo - Well it turned out that my exhaust temp sensor wasn't working, causing it to overheat multiple times and go into limp mode. Brought it back to Sea To Sky and they fixed it all for me under my service contract from the US, not bad. So it seems like problem solved. I will update if I continue to have problems. Thanks for the diagnostic sheet.

Reactions: cs5

Assaulter

Reaction score
Thank you for the sheet Only Polaris. Are you a Polaris Tech? Sounds to me like your pretty up to date with this issue on the Pro's. I appreciate your help.

H2O

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guy's.... After 15 pages of reading There still does not seem to be a common fix for this WOT bog. I have the 2011 163 and it seems to be getting worse. I do notice it gets a little worse as the days ride goes on. I usually have had several stucks and my way of getting out is rolling the sled over and the handle bars get full of snow..... I will be suspecting the TSS, TPS, throttle freeplay and replugin all connectors and use dielectric grease.

Then I will report my findings.

Assaulter

Reaction score
Well boys, I finally got my sled over to Sea to Sky Motorsports in Langley. I dropped it off to have the oil line recall done, and I told the service dept to try and find the reason for my famous bog while they were at it. Chris in the service dept was awesome, and my sled was in and out, in less than 2 hrs. He told me that the TPS sensors could be really finicky on these 11's, so when he tested it, the voltage was spiking all over the map. He readjusted, and reset the TPS. I just came home from 2 days of riding in 3+ feet of new snow, and long steep pulls. It was pulling 8300 all day long, and for the most part didn't miss a beat! I had a couple intermediate fall offs, but nothing like it was before. I'm pretty stoked! Thanks for all the feedback, and if anyone else is experiencing that bog, start with your TPS!

AK4L

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from a few months ago.

My sled:
2011 Switchback Assault 800
144 track with 2" lugs (swapped original 1.35" track off, adjusted clutching/weights/and gears)
Swapped stock can for an SLP can
Sled has around 900 miles
Gas in Alaska does not have ethanol in it, but can only get 91 octane fuel.
Elevations are Sea Level to 6000'

Winter is coming, and at the end of my season last year my sled was acting rediculous with this bog issue. I ran out of warranty in December 2011 and had taken the sled in a couple times to have them try to figure out the bog issue before warranty was up. First they said I was running the wrong fuel plug (had the ethanol one in it) so they swapped it for the non-ethanol one, said that would fix it. Helped, but still bogged intermitently and progressivly got worse. Took it back in, they said my clutch weights weren't heavy enough and that i was over revving, so swapped 10-66s for 10-68s. went from pulling 8150-8200 with the 10-66s to pulling 7850-7900 with the 10-68s (not enough R's in my opinion and definitely not over revving). Sometimes, the sled runs fine, mainly on partly cloudy or cloudy days, sunny days it runs like pooey. It seems like an air or fuel issue to me, I know that a lot of things have been mentioned on this thread on possible fixes. I just ordered an SLP High Flow intake for behind the tach hoping this will help the issue. I will try the new plugs, look at the throttle safety switch, check/swap the fuel filter, see what color code my injectors are, check exhaust valves, and do anything else that the average garage mechanic can do without taking it in.

Thanks for diagnostic sheet OnlyPolaris! Im going to try the things on that sheet that I can, but some require a polaris shop to complete.

I am wondering if the majority of you figured out a remedy for this symptom?? What have you done to fix, improve, or get rid of the bog?? There is no reason that a customer should get dikced around like this. It seems that they know there is a problem, but won't talk to the customer about it. Some shops can't go run test run the sled, which i understand, but there have obviously been issues with the bog and I haven't got a service bulletin in the mail or the slightest bit of light shed on the issue by my dealer. PI$$E$ me off.

HIGHTEC REDNECK

Reaction score
SO MY 2011 PRO IS DOING THE SAME TOP END BOG...... if you keep the vents on the hood clear it doesnt miss a beat if there's snow on them it runs like $hit...... Also on the trail is bogs non stop till you get to the alpine i ride at revy and sicamous so elvation is 5500 to 7000 ft works fine in the alpine as long as the vents are not covered with snow WTF a mountain sled that dosent like powder any solutions out there I'm thinking of changing the exshuast temp senor will this help?????

Last edited:

AK4L

Reaction score
SO MY 2011 PRO IS DOING THE SAME TOP END BOG...... if you keep the vents on the hood clear it doesnt miss a beat if there's snow on them it runs like $hit...... Also on the trail is bogs non stop till you get to the alpine i ride at revy and sicamous so elvation is 5500 to 7000 ft works fine in the alpine as long as the vents are not covered with snow WTF a mountain sled that dosent like powder any solutions out there

So after a few reach arounds by the dealer i bought my sled from, i finally got them to replace the injectors on my sled. To get this to happen, I wrote a letter to polaris headquarters in MN (both hand written and electronically submitted). Got a call from the polaris dealer 2 days after i sent it. I reiterated my frustrations through that phone call and had it to the dealer within 24 hrs. They checked everything and eventually replaced the injectors (color code yellow). I have put three tanks of gas through it now, with only one hiccup or "bog". I can say that it never ran as good as it does now, but i am only getting 7800 RPMs, which i think is directly related to the weights being too heavy. Anyways, as another precaution, i installed a high flow air intake from SLP. Seems to be doing its job... Its amazing how restricted the air intake path is for these sleds, rediculous actually.

From what i can tell, the new injectors are working properly. I am going to change the clutch weights to hopefully get er up to 8100 RPMs or so. What RPM are you pulling?

Attached are a couple pics of the intake install... IMG_1152 crop.jpg IMG_1155.jpg

HIGHTEC REDNECK

Reaction score
i'm only pulling 7800 t0 7900 up top did your sled bog on the trail or up top or both ???? i have the stock weights in i think they are 62's do you have the email address that you sent your letter too. I tried calling polaris but the girl on the ph there was usless to talk too

Last edited:

AK4L

Reaction score
i'm only pulling 7800 t0 7900 up top did your sled bog on the trail or up top or both ???? i have the stock weights in i think they are 62's do you have the email address that you sent your letter too. I tried calling polaris but the girl on the ph there was usless to talk too

I sent a comment to them through their website (have to create an account and sign in to do it)... Mine never bogged on the trail, only when pinned going uphill or in deep powder.

roppin

Reaction score
I sent a comment to them through their website (have to create an account and sign in to do it)... Mine never bogged on the trail, only when pinned going uphill or in deep powder.

Has everyones sleds stop bogging? Whats the cure?

have the exatly same thing, boggs much in deep snow and not very often after trail. Changed to 10% eth plug and it boggs even more! Tried change to a new tps and still same.
Plugged the "bar switch". Adjusted tps, new plugs, checked the tank and no water or dirt.

is it new injectors and fuelfilter whos next?

AK4L

Reaction score
Well, I now have new injectors, but there is still an intermittent bog. Funny thing is that it happens most often when I am leaning throttle side (when the clutch is above the motor). I figured that out by trying to get it to happen. I swapped my weights to lighter ones (10-66s from 10-68s), still does it, but again, not as bad as it was... From noting that clutch above the motor thing, what are the chances it could be a clutch spring issue?

Is this happening on a wide range of sleds or are these all assault switchbacks?

Just curious if the pros, rmks, rush, and other makes are doing it....

orangemaddness

Reaction score
Mine had this problem right out of the box and it took three different sets of injectors before they finally found one that the sled liked running bog free 500 miles now

96sherm

Reaction score
What are your guys' running temps when these bogs are happening? I've been researching a lot about this and it seems that the Polaris computing has a "safe" system that takes action as temps near 130 degrees. It begins to limit your WOT runs and seems to cause a "bog" condition. I rode 138 miles yesterday and I think this is really the culprit. With the sled off for 15 minutes, start it up with temps around 100-115, it would run awesome. Once it leveled off to 136-138, the bog came back where I could pull WOT @ 8400 for 8-10 seconds or less, then it would cut back to 6-6300... There is a modification that involves installing a thermostat housing from an etek that gets temps down. I'm waiting for parts to make this happen.

AK4L

Reaction score
I haven't really paid attention to the temps when this is happening. Good point though, but if it was a temp thing, then why aren't all polaris sleds experiencing the bog?? I haven't had mine out in a while, but am going to go on saturday. I will pay attention if i can get it to happen. You're right though, it runs like a raped ape for the first 15 - 20 minutes of every ride, even with long pulls and deep snow. As the day goes on, the problem gets worse. Suprised polaris hasn't sent out a bulletin on this issue.... It is an obvious issue for the fleet.

H2O

Reaction score
AK4L mine does the exactly the same thing. I have a set of yellow injectors (looks like they came off another sled) that the dealer is letting me try. I will try that, sled has a little over 1000 mikes on it.

btwardowski

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 2011 Assault. Replaced the TPS and adjusted with Polaris digital wrench. 1000 miles and no more bog!

Top Bottom