to vaccinate or not???????

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, it's about time for 75 cent to be getting his first round of shots. or is it?????????? i know lots of good arguments from both sides, and it's a very tough decision to make. do we vaccinate him and possibly save him from future diseases, maybe, and expose him to all the possible side effects of vaccines. or do we not vaccinate him, spare him from those possible side effects, but maybe endanger him down the road?????? anyways, i was just looking for some feed back as to peoples thoughts and experiences either way

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my mom is a retired nurse... plio & I have both been fully vaccinated and so have my kids...

My mom has heard the negatives but if you play odds, the repercussions from not vaccinating far outweigh the other side of the debate...

But in the end it's a personal choice...

Breastmilk will protect a baby for the first 6 months, a measles virus can live dormant in the unvaccinated human body for years before bearing symptoms.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 kids and not one of them is. See how many people you talk to about this and how many are not vaccinated. The #'s that are far outweight the ones who are not. I say thank you to all those people for also protecting my kids. No Dr. nurse or any medical person will tell you not to do it , they will try to scare you into doing it. We had one nurse tell us it was a law to get it done. We asked the peds Dr. if he would care for my kids if something did go wrong, he said no way. It is a person choice to do it or not.
The only issue i have had was with a daycare that would not take a child that was not vaccinated.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will not be vaccinating femme.bot. I have decided that I will wait till she is older, and her system is more able to handle the "dormant" viruses they are going to be pumping her full of. My mom waited till my sister and I were older before we were vaccinated - I will do the same.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Follow Alberta Health guidelines ...................... they been doing it right for a long time. Talk to your DR. :beer::d:beer: get the chickenpox one too when its available.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another one of those armchair decisions from the doo-gooder element....go with the flow over the years and vaccinate, IMHO it won't doo irreversible harm and may save a lot of grief.

Saying that, I will not and doo not get the flu vacine but that is a different kettle of fish and another story.....good luck

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont vaccinate my dog, and also will not vaccinate my children when I have them until they are older or it is absolutely neccessary.. everyone has their reasons and arguments for doing or not doing it.

I am one of those people who was strongly against the H1N1 vaccines as well..

I can't even remember the last time I had any type of vaccination.. probably in junior or elementary school..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Another one of those armchair decisions from the doo-gooder element....go with the flow over the years and vaccinate, IMHO it won't doo irreversible harm and may save a lot of grief.

Saying that, I will not and doo not get the flu vacine but that is a different kettle of fish and another story.....good luck

I agree.....

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Follow Alberta Health guidelines ...................... they been doing it right for a long time. Talk to your DR. :beer::d:beer: get the chickenpox one too when its available.
see, even if we decide to get the shots, i will most likeyl leave out the chicken pox one. also, just because alberta health says to get it is NOT a good argument, either way! if it was, close to 100% of us would have gotten the H1N1 shot, instead ofthe 30% that did

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had our son done, with all the shots, except H1N1.... He actually had H1N1, quite sick, but made it through. But I will agree with Ferniesnow and never have the flu shot.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone from the medical community should weigh in here but i think a safe rule of thumb is vaccinate when walking and talking but its been so long i cant even remember.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We vaccinated our daughter with no side effects. My wife has three Doctors in her family one graduated from Harvard and they were adamant that we vaccinate her, I'm pretty sure our little girls Grandpa, Aunt and Uncle weren't trying to scare us into anything it's just the right thing to do.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two boys both vaccinated... was a non issue and an easy decision for us. No side effects... tylenol right after works miracles.

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I totally understand your hesitation. All three of our kids are vaccinated, with no side effects, only one of them even cried at the time of the shots! I don't know anyone who chose not to vaccinate their kids, in spite of the possibility of very serious side effects.

That said, I know one mom who blames the DDR shot for her son's autism, and another who lost a baby after a serious reaction. After a lot of research, I came to my personal conclusion (this is a very personal choice for any parent), that the benefits outweighed the risk, that it only triggered issues if the infant is already pre-disposed to have a certain problem, and that the risks can be significantly reduced by splitting the DDR into 3 shots, or as previously mentioned, waiting until they are a little older.

Good luck with your research and best wishes whatever you decide.:)

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Our first born girl was vaccinated until her 5th year shots, being a first time mom i thought we HAD to do it. However, our second born (son) is not vaccinated, he did have some medical respitory problems (not related to disease or vaccinations) and was told his immune system could not handle the vaccines. So then the H1N1 hit and we were so up in the air what to do and got him the vaccine and what happened? In less than 15 minutes he broke out in a rash and was sick for a few weeks. He will eventually get vaccinated but not anytime soon.

I know here in Alberta, you dont have to have your child vaccinated to start school but be warned you will get a million calls from Alberta Health Services!!

Top Bottom