To all the broke d*cks who can't afford a diesel one ton

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: To all the broke d*cks who can't afford a diesel one tone.

Sh!t that looks like a Chevy truck engine

Ford finally cought on

Are you referring to the LS series of pushrod engines?

Funny you say that Tex, because Ford has been the automotive group that has pioneered a bunch of the chit Chevy has copied lmao. Ford just went back to their roots with this pushrod design.

Did you know that some LS heads will easily swap over bolt on to old pushrod 351's that have been around since the 60's, 70's, 80's? Which components of what I just mentioned were around first? There is guys running old Ford shortblocks with newer Chevy LS heads with custom cams to fix the firing order.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buick started using the pushrod design in 1904....

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pushrod V motors are old tech but sure a lot simpler and efficient layout than overhead cams on a V. Curious to see how it works out.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buick started using the pushrod design in 1904....

My bad, I shouldn't have chose the word "pioneered" as it implies the first to use or develop. What I was implying or stating is the fact that Chevrolet has been copying Ford with their older proven technologies and designs by revamping the slightest little bit and calling it their own.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well, if GM copied Ford I hope they do it again and bring back a stump pulling big block gasser. was a shame they dumped the 8.1

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My bad, I shouldn't have chose the word "pioneered" as it implies the first to use or develop. What I was implying or stating is the fact that Chevrolet has been copying Ford with their older proven technologies and designs by revamping the slightest little bit and calling it their own.

they copied it too though.

Last edited:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Vortec 8.1 sure had a nice flat torque curve

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    50 KB · Views: 178

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

they copied it too though.

Do you actually understand what I'm even saying here Dan? Or are you just stirring the old pot?

I'm not here to argue, just stating facts. Creating competition by building something of your own that is similar is one thing, straight up copying is another.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I really don't get the appeal of the big gasser. If the smaller V8 won't handle it just get a diesel. A gasser will never tow as well and will burn so much fuel trying. May make sense for the person who tows 1% of the time and it's heavy.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you actually understand what I'm even saying here Dan? Or are you just stirring the old pot?

I'm not here to argue, just stating facts. Creating competition by building something of your own that is similar is one thing, straight up copying is another.

Little of both. (im not a ford guy) Haha

I dont understand what you are trying to say I guess though.

What did GM copy from ford specifically? Neither invented the push rod design, or the v8 design.

They both are improving upon very old designs, that is my point. :beer:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya exactly my thoughts, when I decided to go from a halfer to an HD I gave the 6.4 hemi a thought.... but just a quick thought. The price difference wasnt really that much and the capability more than made up for the difference and then some. Plus getting 11L/100km empty in the diesel vs 16L/100km in the gasser is nice and getting 18L/100km towing my enclosed vs probably 24L/100km ish is real nice

I really don't get the appeal of the big gasser. If the smaller V8 won't handle it just get a diesel. A gasser will never tow as well and will burn so much fuel trying. May make sense for the person who tows 1% of the time and it's heavy.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And a cave man invented the wheel which was copied a billion times over........ all vehicle engine designs are copies of others just how it is once patents expire

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i think it makes sense for fleets and lower usage heavy duty vehicles. Doesn’t make sense to me but lots of fleet managers won’t even look at a diesel. Also probably lowers the price point by 10k vs diesel.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i think it makes sense for fleets and lower usage heavy duty vehicles. Doesn’t make sense to me but lots of fleet managers won’t even look at a diesel. Also probably lowers the price point by 10k vs diesel.

The idiot factor is huge for companies purchasing. Not properly looking after a diesel has more expensive consequences. Take the purchase, ownership, and re-sale costs of any 2500/3500 gas and diesel towing/hauling or not and the diesel will be the cheapest, long as it's looked after. Keep the trucks like 5 years with 200km on them and you will pretty much recoup the extra purchase costs on resale. Used gas 2500/3500 you can't give them away.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The idiot factor is huge for companies purchasing. Not properly looking after a diesel has more expensive consequences. Take the purchase, ownership, and re-sale costs of any 2500/3500 gas and diesel towing/hauling or not and the diesel will be the cheapest, long as it's looked after. Keep the trucks like 5 years with 200km on them and you will pretty much recoup the extra purchase costs on resale. Used gas 2500/3500 you can't give them away.

I agree with you. Fleets want dead reliable and low initial cost.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with you. Fleets want dead reliable and low initial cost.

Usually yes.

The fleet trucks we buy for the mine I bet cost more than if they just went to the lot and bought a base F-350 XL 1 ton. The ones we get have just am/fm radio, manual crank windows, manual door locks, manual vinyl/pleather seats, rubber floor. All special order.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought one of those old mine trucks with the 8.1 it was the best thing I ever did.i just use it for pulling and use a small car to get to work, good to hear of another big block coming back hopefully they deal up with a Allison transmission, wife has a 6.0 gasser and I'd never pull a big load with that thing.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Big gassers are great for when you need a big motor for short distances. For example, putting on 70,000 km in 15+ years. Don’t need a diesel for that. Fords 460/7.5 and Chevy 454 or their 8.1 are a great motor for those circumstances.
Sometimes fleets need to keep their motors “simple”. A lot of people don’t understand diesels or how to drive them. Common sense does not prevail in this category. Remember, they are replacing 18spds for autos because of that. A big gasser does have its place. Just because it doesn’t fit in your world, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was $7000 cheaper for the same truck as mine with a 6.4 hemi , for personal use was more than worth the difference to go diesel but ya as a fleet, if you have 5,6 etc in the fleet that could start to add up quick to some good savings, but 7 get one free lol

Top Bottom