Tired of breaking starter ropes

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the engine block is drilled for the starter pinion assembly AC has for the M6/M7 etc. Neither is the M8 for that matter. I hear ya. Took two guys to start mine first time on cold days when I had it. Awesome sled though. I miss it. :(

If the rope is chafing where it comes through the plastic collar from under the hood you can actually turn that collar to get to fresh undamaged plastic and it'll be good for another year. Can do that up to 4 or 5 times if you're carefull about how much you turn it. Dealer will try to sell you the whole assembly.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric start wasn't available on the mighty 1000. However, I swapped my recoil rope to synthetic winch rope (available most everywhere), and never had a rope break since. This stuff is rated for 5000# pull.

05765scott

Reaction score
What I would do to start mine on cold days was grab the primary and turn engine over a few times until I could feel it loosen up a bit then gave her a good tug and never broke a rope knock on wood

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a short rope with a handle and a quick link on the end, wrappped it around the starter rope, put two guys on it and give 'er! Never broke a rope, but I made damn sure it wasn't getting damaged by the grommet it comes through from the engine compartment.

craptabulous

Reaction score
You just have to pull it over slowlya few times until it loosens up . Pulling it fast doesnt really make it start faster in
my experience . Never broken a rope

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes listen to moyie. That grommet in there, when properly worn through, will eat and eat them pull cords. Gotta replace the whole console to get a new grommet too.

Top Bottom