Tipping edict

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What everyone opinion on tipping, seems like every card machine automatically wants to add 15%.
do you get 15% more pay for a good job...? I do tip by the way but tonight I had some sh$tty service so Im like 10% for you...should of been less but I'm a nice guy.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it takes a pretty sh!tty attitude from a server to get no tip from me, I can dig people having bad days, or even just off kilter but when they get snotty they get nothing. if I'm happy I'm generous, if you forget my large milk twice well then you get 15%

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually do 22% for good service, 25% if the service was exceptional, 15 sometimes less for medium to poor sevice

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im kind of up in the air with the whole tipping thing. It seems more places have the tipping option. I have always tipped at bars and restaurants, but now its working its way into food chains. I was in a Mexican take out place, and they had the tipping screen on the debit machine. Not sure what to think about places like that receiving tips. Is timmies next?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel the right to tip or not, no set amounts and totally based on satisfaction of the service and food. When my wife and I holiday we pick non-tipping resorts and pay a little more to avoid the hand held out experience,

Fast food joints...no tip...for what ???

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me, tips were to supplement the below minimum wage earners. Now that everyone will/is making minimum wage and the cost of my meal has gone up, they will have to work even harder to get anything over $5 bucks.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tipping options are nice on the debit machines, I suck at math. The "auto tip" most miss when put on the bill really burns my biscuits. They need to work for it and it shouldn't be expected. 99% of the time its 18-20%. The person behind the counter at Tim's cranking out the double doubles when it busy as all hell, now that person deserves a little extra.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the service is decent I usually tip around 20%. If it's $hitty, I tip nothing. I do this because I have sympathy for people who take on this kind of work and have to put up with what often are rude and demanding people.
I couldn't do that job for five minutes. If someone treated me the way I've seen people treat wait staff, they'd be either wearing their food like a hat, or carrying it home in their a$$.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm the same, I feel like tipping is a way to share the wealth of higher paid industries, with the people who do these lower paid jobs that still need doing.If you think about it, I would venture to say the person working a super busy fast food joint, with some of the rude mo' fo's that come thru have it way worse than some people in the patch making way more an hour for less headache!( usually...... I realize when sheet goes sideways some days you earn that higher pay!). Myself, I will stick with working in the heat and cold,over customer service type jobs any Day!!

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen and heard of people in the service business getting crazy tips night after night. These people are happy to be doing what there doing I'm sure. Company's that own these businesses rely on tips so they can pay crap wages and reap the rewards of having zero to pay in wages.
How cool would it be if your company could send out the tech, plumber, roofer, repair guy or any other service and have your customers supplement the employee in tips for doing a good job.
Most company's provide great service but are not paid tips.
Not trying to get off topic but if I could get up to $200 tax free in tips a night I'd be like sure I'll work for min wages.
Not saying tipping is bad but somehow it's a money making machine and the rest of the industry's are putting the can at the till expecting us to supplement wages.

Not cool, some of these sectors in the entertainment fields do very well.
My company pays good wages because of the long days doing the same work and is not supplemented.

In the retail/ beverage business you have a big turnover of people. If one table spends $50-$100 per hr and your shift is 6 hrs, you run 4 tables, that's $2-$400 per hour at 20%? Mmmmm, Some bars or fancy restaurants have crazy turnover, just look at what is spent with the boys on a sled trip in beer?
I guess what I'm saying is the servers do a tough job and one should offer a tip of gratitude for the hard work but when is it to much and how much is one person worth.

daddys girl

Reaction score
I don,t expect tips to just be given to me because im a server.I do over and above what my job is to make your meal or nite out more enjoyable and you say thank you with gratuity.

If you don't leave a tip then just don't expect the same attention next time.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10% and 15%. Rarely 20%. Nothing for ****ty service, and nothing for take out. The wife says I always tip waitress's better then Waiters. Lol

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't the servers also 'share' there tip with the kitchen staff?

I usually go 15-25. I like it when they bring me a new beer right when or just before I finish the last lol

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll go 20% on average, Whatever if the service is great and nothing or next to nothing on sh!tty service. I also ask my gf, what she thinks is fair...... As far as the fast food places, not a phucking chance!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
All depends on service. If it is fast food (Tim's, A&W, Subway, or whatever), I'll put change in a charity box but never tip there. Restaurants or sit down meals, the service has to be great to get me above 10%. If the service is great, I have no problem with 15%. I have no qualms not tipping if the service is not good.

Top Bottom