Timbersled Mountain Horse Feed Back?

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking in getting a mountain horse kit for my dirt bike but honestly can find feedback. you tube only does small justice to how well they work and I haven't found actual written feed back yet. I'm seriously thinking about selling my sled and just buying a kit but knowing I've never tried one I have no clue how they are. Curious if anyone has one on here that won't mid some questions or anyone that's tried one or demoed. I have a new 450so I'm looking at the long track kit so there's o question on I my bike is capable. Thanks in advance.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one. Fun in the trees but hill climbing sucked. my bike put out 90 hp but still no comparison to a sled. It was fun to drive but its no sled. If you do get one though timbersled is the only way to go.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one. Fun in the trees but hill climbing sucked. my bike put out 90 hp but still no comparison to a sled. It was fun to drive but its no sled. If you do get one though timbersled is the only way to go.

Yeh I have pro but I just don us it much anymore. find it hard to find people to ride with lately. Just loved the idea of doing it all with my bike and not having the need for 2 machines.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i compare it to quading vs dirtbiking. both are fun and each have their place where they shine. is it fast? no! theyre a tree bashing machine. theyll sidehill like nothing youve never seen. will it replace a sled? id say no. ill probably have both. what i do like is, that after a full day of riding i spend $13 in fuel, not $100. plus you dont have to drive 100km to find good snow. it goes into the places sleds dont ride. so ya, has its pros and cons.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you converting too 1 ski ps?

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I need to think on it alot more. The kits themselves are very expensive so it would basically be a trade, sled for skid.... but im not a hill climber and love whipping through trees and jumps. Jusg felt like my calling hahahs

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I need to think on it alot more. The kits themselves are very expensive so it would basically be a trade, sled for skid.... but im not a hill climber and love whipping through trees and jumps. Jusg felt like my calling hahahs

dont get me wrong. theyre tons of fun. and no theyre not a cheap investment.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to try one, for sure..I like smashin threw the trees.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HOw is it to load and unload? Did you have much trouble with a carb setup? Id like to put one on my KTM 530 exc.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are harder to load and unload than a sled. Need two guys so you don't crash. Carbs work fine if you jetted right.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode one this weekend and was very impressed, it was a 2014 KTM 450XC with a LT kit. Amazing on sidehills and through the trees, went a lot of places that sleds simply just can't fit. I can really see them being a pile of fun on those low snow, low vis days because you could duck into the trees and find snow without needing the visibility. That being said i don't think it would replace a sled for the blue sky and deep days, also looked like a real handful on the packed trail. You definitely need it on the right bike with the right components. I personally wouldn't put it on anything that didn't have the magic e-start button or fuel injection and would probably go to a 500 Katoom or Husky (or even bigger like a 690) rather than a 450. A Rekluse would also be really nice just to take the clutch out of the equation. Having it on the right bike also allows easily installed bar warmers and lighting as well as a proper fuel tank.

Would love to have one as a second machine but i can see the issue i would have being the snow bike would never actually get used for all seasons, it would end up dedicated to snow which kind of defeats the purpose.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For trees and the like - you will never go back to a sled. I like to think of myself as a better than average tree rider. On a bike, I feel like Chris Burandt. If you want to climb chutes, they are not the machine. But last year on the two days I rode at Hunter's Range - I never made it to the first cabin before I was played out and out of fuel. You can ride in places you never thought of before, and most importantly where no one else has ridden. That is until everyone switches over to them.

The downside - there is no "pull and go" option. Gotta buy a bike. Winterize it (thermostat, hand warmers, shrouds, bigger pegs, etc) . And the kits are not what I would call "user friendly". Damn bolts shake loose all the time. Red loctite is your best friend. Like playing with old mod sleds. A lot of work for the fun.

When some manufacturer comes out with the "package" - that is when we will see the sport explode. Best thing for Timbersled would be to sell itself to a bike manufacturer.

Just as a bit of $0.02. A couple of guys I know have been riding them for a couple of years. (I bit the bullet and built one this year). They will never go back - and these were guys who were really into sledding. Last year I was tree busting near Lumby with some buds. Stuck, swearing, bitching. You know - having a great time. 4 guys on snowbikes went past us like it was nothing, and stopped on a little lake before the ridge. I went down to say hello - it is not a well travelled area. I was expecting a bunch of 20 somethings. I was a little shocked that there was a LOT of grey hair - these guys were a little older than me - in their early 50's I would guess. We got to talking. These guys were Lumby locals and lifelong sledders. They had all bought bikes that year - and were never going back. Not half as tired at the end of the day. Lots less stucks. Easier to dig out. And as they said - having fun a mile from the trailhead instead of 30. Gives you lots to think about.

Greg

We never said it was easy, just that it looked cool.

Last edited:

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I may go this route some day soon. I already have the bike with efi and a recluse clutch so its even more tempting. will have to see when I get my first ride this season.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 600 Snow Hawk for a few years and loved it, but I sold it after my riding buddies didn't make the move to single ski. Single skis and sleds don't mix very well.

The sidehilling capabilities and the power of the Hawk was great...not sure if I would ever go to a Dirt Bike based single ski...not enough power in my opinion. If a major manufacturer ever makes a two stroke based single ski that outshines the deficiencies of the Snow Hawk...I would buy it in the blink of an eye.

Check out this guys thread on his total custom build single ski...cant wait to see how it turns out.

The TLKD Phoenix project - Back Country Rebels - Forums

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HOw is it to load and unload? Did you have much trouble with a carb setup? Id like to put one on my KTM 530 exc.

i load mine by myself. little more effort then sled, but not terrible. I built carb heaters for the extreme cold days, plus I built my own air filter system. also added rad blockers for cold days to. but jetting was fine

whopper809

Reaction score
Better get watching some of Reagan Sieg vids on YouTube to see some awesome riding and what these kits are capable of..
We have 6 guys in our mountain riding group that rode sleds all our lives, and snickered at the mountain horse when I got the first one back in 2011. Today all of the guys have a mountain horse and all but one sold their sleds. Do they replace a sled.... No! But the new adventures we find are mind blowing. But we never cared much for point and shoot riding. Playing in the trees and in new areas is what we can't get enough of. There are a few snowbike pages on Facebook you can join and ask questions if you do FB.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said if you like riding tight trees all the time snow bikes are the sheit, I bought one last year never even tried one before just knew I would like it had a blast on it.. Deep deep days I struggled to follow the sleds up the more open pulls and areas but in the trees its crazy where it will go and effortless to ride.. I thought the trail ride would be bad no way the ski bites and tracks awesome you have so much traction in corners, long as there is some soft snow on top.. I still have a sled for the deeper days if one of the manufactures gets in on the snow bikes with a 80-100hp motor i think id be done with sleds

Top Bottom