throttle icing up / getting stuck

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed the last couple of times Ive been riding, towards the end of the day my throttle gets stuck open .. even if i pull the flap back the throttle cable is still stuck inside the sheath.. a few times i've had to hit the kill switch !

I've got 4500 km on the sled now, been ridden in all sorts of temps / snow conditions and this has never happened until now

of course the dealer won't be able to replicate it in the shop, so they probably won't know where to look.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Any ideas on where to look ? I don't see any obvious cracks in the sheath ...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine does this sometimes in deep fluffy snow. I found turning the thumb warmer down or off stopped it. I think it was melting snow into the cable where it would freeze. Thumb warmer doesn't do anything when boondocking anyway so I turn it off then back on the for trail.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had this happen ever on any of my groups sleds I would suggest replacing the throttle cable perhaps there is some binding or corision/rusting on the inside?

I have had the throttle stick after I put it away wet and let it sit in the enclosed for 2 weeks but I always just flip the throttle before starting and it never comes back but never happens while riding.

I haven't looked how hard it is to replace that cable but at least it doesn't go down to the oil pump anymore. I can't see the return spring being sagged out yet but maybe another item to replace if it's cheap. I realize your probly still on warranty but if they won't fix it because they can't replicate it and it's a safety issue might just have to bite the bullet.

Has the sled sat inside and had a complete dethaw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had that happen too a few times. Shredded a belt hammering the brakes to stop from climbing a tree lol. Took the cable off the throttle block sprayed lock de-icer down it then chased it with penetrating oil. Seemed to fix it up. Time will tell though. And yes I do wear my tether.. Cable is 130.00 and twenty min to change if you so choose

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sled sleeps in the garage .. it's not cold enough here anyway, even outside it would thaw out

I always have my grip and thumb warmers running and this has never happened .. guess i'll have a closer look at the sheath or the cable, and try turning off the thumb warmer, see if it'll make a difference.

yes I do wear my tether, all the time.. thanks for your concern machinehead ;)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happens quit a bit for me. I am blame it on deep snow. I find it jams up between the wire for the thumb warmer, throttle and bars. Turning the warmers on just ices it up more. Usually have to chip it out and excessively flip the throttle.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Tip sled on side.
Lightly spray WD-40 down throttle cable/sheathing while flicking the throttle (best performed with the sled in the "OFF" position) LOL!.
I keep mine in the garage but do this once in awhile to prevent corrosion and sticky throttle.
A little prevenative maintenace.

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
I've had this happen to me occasionally while riding on really deep days, usually after rolling the sled. I just use a knife to clean out the slush/ice build up around where the throttle cable runs into the sheath, then just flick the throttle a couple times, fixes it every time for me. It is a little annoying but at least its easy to fix.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket riser or the adjustable one. My cable gets caught in the lever of my adjustable one at times. Doesn't get stuck wide open but will definitely open the throttle up when you dont expect it.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happens to me regularly too. Deep days = more icing. I haven't found the thumb warmer on/off to make much of a difference, but I'll give leaving it off the whole day a try.
When the problem gets bad, usually later in the day, if I stop for a few minutes and then give full throttle, the cable usually pulls a plug of ice out of the sheath.
Furthermore, I am on my third throttle cable this season. Both have broken flush at the lug in the flipper. I believe it is a result of the lug freezing into the flipper and preventing the lug to pivot as you work the throttle. The repeated bending then breaks the cable.
I now carry one of those little bottles of lock deicer (methyl hydrate) in the console. Whenever it acts up, few squirts and the problem goes away for the rest of the day.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have experienced this! I think it is all documented above with good solutions. Roll-0vers seem to aggravate the problem.

This ice build up for the throttle sticking is inside the cable housing and not between the throttle block and flipper. There are two different scenarios. If the flipper has enough ice behind it, the motor will go into limp mode and/or won't start.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the same problem literally every time i ride my xm in the mountains. Especially in the powder. Not only does the snow stick on the cable side of the throttle it also sticks in behind the throttle. Screwed me up a few times i though i had to adjust my clickers cause i was only pulling 7800 rpm when in fact i was only giving it 3/4 throttle. I have also had the problem with my throttle sticking as causing me to get stuck in a few tree wells. If you go to shut your sled off with it revving high due to the snow on the cable it won't let you take off when you start it again cause of the throttle sensor. Skidoo really really needs to fix this problem since apparently I'm not the only person with this problem. As well i might add the skidoo is the only sled in my group of friends that has this problem!

Top Bottom