Sled stuck removal techniques

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When snobungies were a thing, a few in our group carried them but due to their size and weight they went bye-bye. The strap in the pocket now is a staple.
All you need to do with a snobungie is take side cutters and remove the bulky plastic that protects the stretchy cord. Now you have something that rolls up into a very small coil the size of the handle. Heck, it fits into the windshield bag now.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mule tape is what we call it
and it works awesome and takes up minimal space
If any of you guys head thru to kelowna pm me and i can spool you some off

Yes, I also call it mule tape but only people in the industry generally know what that is when you ask for it...LOL

That is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. I guess If a guy had loops tied or sewn on the ends you may get away without cutting every time? Did you just get it at an electrical wholesaler?

Amazon. You could sew loops in but its so cheap that I don't bother. Lets say you have 200' and you only need 45' (i.e. for towing through tight trees). If you knot it at 45' then you'll have a b!tch of a time getting that knot out (if you can) and may have to cut it off anyway. or if you get a fray in it, you will have to cut it and then re-sew the loops. I just tied a loop in 1 end and just use it like a noose loop, then I just knot tie the other end and therefore only ever have to cut 1 end off.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree having 5 friends useful for that stuck. Wouldn’t call that a tree well stuck but a downhill through the trees ran out opening stuck between two trees. Rather than a pulley and five guys I would have got out the saw and cut the tree down.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fantastic, nice to know it's been done. I plan on testing this in my garage and reverse my sled up a rope and get it hanging from the rafters. I will get some video for sure. Hope my garage ceiling doesn't come down, LOL.

You know now that you mention this i think i might need to put on a video on the technique in a real life scenario. Showing a snowbungee is more then simply being a ski puller. Hell i never use it for that, that what the pocket nylon strap is for. You just need a bit of imagination and experience and realize its usefulness.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you need to do with a snobungie is take side cutters and remove the bulky plastic that protects the stretchy cord. Now you have something that rolls up into a very small coil the size of the handle. Heck, it fits into the windshield bag now.

I often wondered why that covering was on there, maybe just so it didn't look so "home made"

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know now that you mention this i think i might need to put on a video on the technique in a real life scenario. Showing a snowbungee is more then simply being a ski puller. Hell i never use it for that, that what the pocket nylon strap is for. You just need a bit of imagination and experience and realize its usefulness.

I do realize that the Snowbugee has the advantage of tensioning up at a distance and you gain quite a "length of pull" compared to a strap or simple ski pull. in some cases that could be well worth having it. BUT, please add a video.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. I guess If a guy had loops tied or sewn on the ends you may get away without cutting every time? Did you just get it at an electrical wholesaler?

You can get that at any electrical supply store. Your in Calgary? Go over to Westburne main branch in the SE over on 8th st se just off Blackfoot. They do cash sales and will have it Ideal, Greenlee are a couple of brand names.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And a picture of a snobungee without the plastic sheath
20210321_185246.jpg 20210321_185222.jpg

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always carry snobunjees with us. Not the Handle one, the one with 2 hooks for pulling with another sled. Stuck facing uphill? Have tow sled come down right beside, hook to lower a arm and go. U stand on high side and punch it when it goes tight, sled usually whips right around and its free. Also carry a sno bungee slick tape. Basically a thin strap to extend the reach of the bunjee. Pretty much anywhere you can get a tow sled infront of a stuck sled, with enough room to get a pull it will work. Snug it up just enough to make sure the hooks are Taught, and when your both ready hit it! Dont be shy when your the puller, you gotta hit them with a pretty good tug, depending how stuck they are. Ive been in a creek vertical with my bumper just at the surface and the snobungee yanked it right up onto the trail no problem.
also use it by hand sometimes too, hook it on to the a-arm, get a good grip pulled up tight by your chest, plant your feet and just fall back, if you do it right you can put nearly a full stretch on it and then they hit the throttle and out she comes if not stuck too bad.
as far as carrying it, I hook one end to very back of running boards then to the back around bumper and then a short bungee cord pulled tight to the other running board.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I tested out the reverse lifting idea. Works slick. Hope the link works. I would use this method if I was severely stuck and only could pull backwards uphill. The idea of ripping a track window is not a concern now that I tried it and realize those widows take way more strain from the drivers, especially when the track ratchets and it only grabs the center drive.

To let it down simply release the brake slowly.

I bet it in a pinch you could lay a sled on its side, tie the front bumper to a tree and with a long length of rope attached to the track, actually lift and retrieve a sled that dropped down a cliff. The rope will keep winding around the track until there is no clearance.

https://specifiedtechnicalsales-my....dIpOli6PokT5AB2Gj_2KsuhsLioyf5uRryaw?e=de7jPP

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So I tested out the reverse lifting idea. Works slick. Hope the link works. I would use this method if I was severely stuck and only could pull backwards uphill. The idea of ripping a track window is not a concern now that I tried it and realize those widows take way more strain from the drivers, especially when the track ratchets and it only grabs the center drive.

I bet it in a pinch you could lay a sled on its side, tie the front bumper to a tree and with a long length of rope attached to the track, actually lift and retrieve a sled that dropped down a cliff. The rope will keep winding around the track until there is no clearance.

https://specifiedtechnicalsales-my....dIpOli6PokT5AB2Gj_2KsuhsLioyf5uRryaw?e=de7jPP

The link worked Chris. Great idea!

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of a time I was stuck. We got it mostly free and then to get the rest of the way out I was gonna punch it and two guys were gonna ski pull me. So as you can imagine Im standing wrong foot forward ready to push off with my other foot they each have a ski and were counting down. 3, 2 , 1 Go! Expecting the usual pin it and it chews its way up and out right? Well we hadn’t noticed, but the sled was on top of a 4” diameter stump that someone had previously cut off, and when I punched it, the track hooked it perfectly, and the Sled stood straight up, chucked me off and landed about 1” from buddies sled parked in front of me. One heck of a quick way to come out of a stuck. Lmao.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Now you just need to put it to good use, as i describe in my post earlier you can use the track as your winch provided you have something to anchor too.
Several years ago i pulled a sled out of a 8ft deep tree well using the track as my winch. Had to reset 2 or 3 times but got out. By my self BTW.
The windows are plenty strong if your not stupid about it.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now you just need to put it to good use, as i describe in my post earlier you can use the track as your winch provided you have something to anchor too.
Several years ago i pulled a sled out of a 8ft deep tree well using the track as my winch. Had to reset 2 or 3 times but got out. By my self BTW.
The windows are plenty strong if your not stupid about it.
Great idea ...kind of like the trick to use reverse to remove old hyfax .... least favourite stuck - reverse with mild tape wouldn't have worked..
brother ride right into it ....up to bars in water ...had to cut limbs to make a platform at bottom to be able to stand then dropped a tree across the hole and with rope and a twister to winch it up to get the skis clear ...loads of fun that day ...no torx to get hood bolt off so couldn't get pipe of and dewater ...long tow home
060816496d6e0dc898f70f7ddc2a7470.jpg
ef03a7fe5c37a21ff591cf2dcfb9d9c4.jpg

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea ...kind of like the trick to use reverse to remove old hyfax .... least favourite stuck - reverse with mild tape wouldn't have worked..
brother ride right into it ....up to bars in water ...had to cut limbs to make a platform at bottom to be able to stand then dropped a tree across the hole and with rope and a twister to winch it up to get the skis clear ...loads of fun that day ...no torx to get hood bolt off so couldn't get pipe of and dewater ...long tow home//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210411/060816496d6e0dc898f70f7ddc2a7470.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210411/ef03a7fe5c37a21ff591cf2dcfb9d9c4.jpg

10 out of 10 for the stuck/un-stuck...nice job. Was that in NL?

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. Boundary of Gros Morne National Park ....fun area ...no long pulls but lots of short and steeps / tight trees.
He got bucked off above the drainage and was coasting down with helmet off to take a break. Couldn't see it till on top of it as there was a little pillow just before it.. Guess he never heard me caution about the singular hole.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
brother ride right into it ....up to bars in water ...had to cut limbs to make a platform at bottom to be able to stand then dropped a tree across the hole and with rope and a twister to winch it up to get the skis clear ...loads of fun that day ...no torx to get hood bolt off so couldn't get pipe of and dewater ...long tow home//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210411/060816496d6e0dc898f70f7ddc2a7470.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210411/ef03a7fe5c37a21ff591cf2dcfb9d9c4.jpg

The torx on the back end of the plug wrench is the same size for the hood removal. Little late to tell you now.

Top Bottom