the OFFICIAL sled deck thread

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it's the legs themselves...I've had 7 Marathons come through the shop this year, and had to re-work all of them. With the legs bolted down, it allows the entire deck to flex and twist, ultimately ending in split welds between the legs and frame. Try welding 4 tie down lugs on the frame, and turnbuckle the deck to the box anchors. That's how we mount our's, and out of the 300+ decks that I've sold, I've never seen a split weld yet. If you can't find anybody up there to do it, bring it down, and I'll do it for free (+beer).

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it's the legs themselves...I've had 7 Marathons come through the shop this year, and had to re-work all of them. With the legs bolted down, it allows the entire deck to flex and twist, ultimately ending in split welds between the legs and frame. Try welding 4 tie down lugs on the frame, and turnbuckle the deck to the box anchors. That's how we mount our's, and out of the 300+ decks that I've sold, I've never seen a split weld yet. If you can't find anybody up there to do it, bring it down, and I'll do it for free (+beer).

Bingo. From having the mounting locations at the actual deck level ( not the bottom of the legs) with turn buckles it stops upper deck shifting. And with 2 quads up there all that side to side stress directed to the bottom of the legs something is going to give.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot GNG. What you're saying is right. When it's loaded up I can shake it back and forth and see the legs moving. I have a buddy that should be able to weld it up here. Thanks alot for the offer!

Reaction score
The reality is that all welded decks crack due to box flex and use. The reason we can make a statement like is because we have repaired EVERY welded deck make that is available including our own. The reason we bolted through the floor vs. turn buckling the deck to the box sides is due to us as manufacturers not wanting to rely on the strength of a turnbuckle to hold our deck down to the box. bad deck tie down original file.jpg

Because of these and other reasons we have evolved from our 10 year old “Classic” deck design and developed the Truckboss deck. The Truckboss is an all extruded aluminum deck that is fully anodized, features over 60ft. of tracked adjustable tie-down points, seals the truck box from outside elements, is rail mounted to hold the deck to the truck, it has four telescoping legs that handle the weight of the load on the deck, and it comes with a 2 year warranty.

Our dealers have complained to us that they have lost the service side of their business in deck sales because there aren’t any bent legs, warped plywood, or welds to fix.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problems with your deck is anyone who likes their truck isn't going to mount one. I've seen the effects of putting stuff on the box rails and I've heard from a local dealer that they've had issues with boxes cracking. I don't like the old Marathon deck and I would definitely not do the Truck Boss. Looking at Cross-Trax now

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does Crosstrax have the extendable ramp? Thats what I like most about my deck

snoboy

Reaction score
The problems with your deck is anyone who likes their truck isn't going to mount one.

The problem with people on the internet is that they assume everyone else thinks the same way and has exactly the same needs as they do...

I love my truckboss deck for the sealed tonneau cover and space in the box part of it, maybe if I spent 6 days a week on forestry or oilpatch roads it wouldn't be the best choice, but it's a decent choice for a lot of people.

Reaction score
Buddy just bought a truck boss and the ramps were extra as well

Truckboss 8 $4,595 (Incl: TRUCKBOSS deck system w/Extendable sides, TEL-RAMP-10-F, Front & Rear TEL-LEG, Cab Guard/Ramp Bar)
Truckboss 7 $4,295 (Incl: TRUCKBOSS deck system w/Extendable sides, TEL-RAMP-10-F, Front & Rear TEL-LEG, Cab Guard/Ramp Bar)
Truckboss 6 $4,095 (Incl: TRUCKBOSS deck system w/Extendable sides, TEL-RAMP-10-F, Front & Rear TEL-LEG, Cab Guard/Ramp Bar)

All of our pricing can be found on our website Truckboss Modular Aluminum Sled & ATV Truck Decks

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe dealers are quoting decks alone at 3500, and the ramp at 500 just to take the sting out of the price when you look at it?

Just speculation.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about sliding drawers underneath the decks? What are people running?
When I used to survey I had a custom wood false floor with a drawer and compartments for tripods, pins, equipment, and saws in the trap door up front.
I'm looking for a setup to store skis/boards/chainsaws/tools and luggage underneath the deck.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know someone was talking about putting a sliding tray under their deck. Whatever you do, take and post pictures for the rest of us.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
All my party chiefs had this set up back when I was pounding pins and I always wondered why more sledders don't have the same set up... worked slick as snot...

how about sliding drawers underneath the decks? What are people running?
When I used to survey I had a custom wood false floor with a drawer and compartments for tripods, pins, equipment, and saws in the trap door up front.
I'm looking for a setup to store skis/boards/chainsaws/tools and luggage underneath the deck.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just use safety rational to get it approved... it is ergonomically beneficial and the savings in WCB premiums due to reduced sparain/strain injuries will more than cover the cost of the set-up over time...

Just sayin...

Ooo how I wish It wsa in the budget to setup all my crews with that first one. Beautiful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom