Teryz tire upgrade?

hintonite

Reaction score
Just looking for some sugestions on tires for my new toy. I was going to install 27" mudlite XTR's but have been told the side walls keep puncturing.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some sugestions on tires for my new toy. I was going to install 27" mudlite XTR's but have been told the side walls keep puncturing.

I have the 27" xtr's and have not had a problem with punctures at all, but I pop them off the bead a lot but I think anytire would come off where it happens, with the weight of the Teryx.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Swamp Foxes and they are a awsome tire

Attachments

• rhino 075.jpg
    rhino 075.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 37

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just had that happen on my RZR, I've got 26" XTR's, didn't realise it was a common problem with them though. Good tire otherwise though.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i would stop running over nails i wouldnt have this problem.lol But most of the punctures happened on the tread not the sidewalls. I think they are an awsome tire but you need to keep the pressure up on them. I think i run 15psi in mine on my teyx. I got 1100km on them so far and i love mine.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xtrs are a good overall tire but the side walls are weak. my dad has put 2 side wall punctures on his.

hintonite

Reaction score
I know of 2 others that have punctured the side walls on the XTR's. Both were on RZR's. I have a buddy that works at tire shop and heis going to check with the supplier for a UTV tire.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet thanks, how do they hold up? One drawback for me is I would like a tire with a good 1"+ lug, these run short. These are still my first option but I am also swaying towards the Swamp Witches.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember if the tread was shy of 1" or about 1" when you got them. And do you like the 12's on the rear and 10's on the front,.. or would a 10 be fine on the rear as well. What about the mounted height on your machine, cause according to Kenda they are only 25.5" tall for a 27".

Thanks,

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember if the tread was shy of 1" or about 1" when you got them. And do you like the 12's on the rear and 10's on the front,.. or would a 10 be fine on the rear as well. What about the mounted height on your machine, cause according to Kenda they are only 25.5" tall for a 27".

Thanks,

The lugs are just shy of 3/4" now. Not sure what they were new. These tires were on my King Quad for 3 years and the Rhino for 2. They have about 4500 km on them and I think they are standing up very well.

I would not put 10's on the front and back. One of my pet peeves about the sxs's is they are heavy and go down in skeg to fast. In fact I'm really hoping the rumours about the 2010 Rhinos coming out with a 900 twin and power steering are true. If so I'll be picking one up and putting 29 or 30's with 12's front and back. I just feel these machines need a bit more clearance, floatability and power. They are beast's in mud and hill climbing but need a bit more for the skeg.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to work at a tire shop for 5 years. I have sold alot of ATV tires there and the one tire that everyone liked was the bear claws. But i could never under stand why. I put a set on my old cat. They were a good trail tire, that is all i found them good for. I think you would enjoy the ride of a Radial tire on your SXS. Even if its not the XTR's. There is a few different makes out there so chose something that is gonna suit your riding needs. It i put new tires on my Teryx again, i think i woul try maybe the Zilla radials or something a bit more aggresive. I find the XTR's a good all around tire for what i do for riding and use around the acreage.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I do mostly trail riding and meet the mud along the way and in most situations I will go to the side. I don't find the need to go bat out of hell through the middle all the time because most of the time I have the family with me.

I have a set of bear claws on an old Yamaha 225cc 2wd, but where on it when I bought it. They still have about 3/4" tread left and LOTS of mileage and have held up well.

The Zillas were one of my first choices, but decided to go to a more trail friendly less aggressive to pass me over. Don't want to put too much into this rhino if I can get a new one in the near future.

I think I will be ordering the BC tomorrow,.. looking forward to the 2010/11 model rhino IF they ever decide to release them.

Sorry to OP for thread hijack

Puffer99

Reaction score
I have 26" XTR's on my Rhino and love the ride and how they handle mud, but have 4 plugs in the sidewalls now in less than 1000km. I think I'm gonna try the Outlaw MST's next, they look like as good a tire but with tougher sidewalls.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hintonite

Reaction score
Went out this weekend for my first ride and really need tires. Can i put 12' wide tires all the way around with the factory rim or will i need to buy wheels to? Thinking about the swamp lites.

Top Bottom