Temp gauge install

theseeker

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 04 rev 800 and noticed it doesnt have a temp. gauge. I was going to install a autometer digital gauge as skidoo apparently doesnt make one for it. Just looking for some advice on how to go about it.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A ski doo gsx 800 gauge will clip right in i believe. I think they're $85 out of the states, or $ 130 ish from Canada. Other wise you have to get a sending unit that fits into the alan key bolt hole above your thermostat and tie into a power source. Its something that I want to do to my 04 rev.

Heres a link http://parts.ski-doo.com/ext/index.aspx?siteid=2&s1=1ebae2e8j65invb2mh150pa341&catalog_id=1

so this stock unit plugs into some pre existing harness then, or do you have to still install the sending unit?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The autometer unit has a long probe so you need to make room for it with brass fittings available at any plumbing store.
Cost is way lower than stock but you have to find a place to mount it. the wire is long enough to install by your right knee and still have that side open up

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just want to bump this this thread because i'm still curious how the install will be with the stock gauge from the gsx. will it be as simple as plunk it in and clip in the harness or is there more to it? or would you just scrap the idea and get one of the dual temp ones like i saw at the slp booth at the sled show? any ideas?

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just want to bump this this thread because i'm still curious how the install will be with the stock gauge from the gsx. will it be as simple as plunk it in and clip in the harness or is there more to it? or would you just scrap the idea and get one of the dual temp ones like i saw at the slp booth at the sled show? any ideas?

The wiring harnesses are all the same I was told so they clip right in. I think it shares the same sending unit as the idiot light.You have to cut out the hole in the dash too. Cyberdine makes s cool digital gauge but they are not meant for the moisture that can be created from a sled. Its hit and miss from the feedback on dootalk.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are these stock temp gauges pretty standard across most models? i guess they would probably change up the harnesses between chassis' huh?

theseeker

Reaction score
Ive read that you need a different sending unit for the temp gauge because the one the dummy light uses is essentially only a switch closing the curcuit turning on the light. Wouldnt a sending unit for a temp gauge have to be some sort of resistor.
On another note the autometer gauge would you have to put in a voltage rectifier to go from Ac to dc?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive read that you need a different sending unit for the temp gauge because the one the dummy light uses is essentially only a switch closing the curcuit turning on the light. Wouldnt a sending unit for a temp gauge have to be some sort of resistor.
On another note the autometer gauge would you have to put in a voltage rectifier to go from Ac to dc?

typically the idiot lights and the temp gauge senders that are plugged into the head are completely different. The GSX version lists the following part # for the temp sending unit, (so you may need a different sending unit), in addition to the gauge - 515176042 but it lists as non-available. I'm not sure if this is the idiot light (I think so) sending unit. The gauges are still available though, not sure if they come as a package or if you need to order the sending unit separately, usually its a kit.

Yes you can use an autometer or equivalent, just plumb it into a coolant hose if the sender is too big (often times they are larger diameter than the sled ones - you can buy the coolant hose adapter lots of places - I think SLP makes one).

Keep in mind that the 2 stroke sled runs much cooler water temps than 4 stroke cars, so if you go this route with an automotive gauge, get a low range gauge or it will only read on the gauge when you are overheating. And yes you will need a rectifier. You will need a Bridge Wave rectifier, most come up to about 600 V, about 1" square. They are about $3 at most electronics outlets, let me know if you need one, I have about 10 extras in my garage. They are a simple 2 wire input/output - take about 10 mins to install.

theseeker

Reaction score
Yes you can use an autometer or equivalent, just plumb it into a coolant hose if the sender is too big (often times they are larger diameter than the sled ones - you can buy the coolant hose adapter lots of places - I think SLP makes one).

Keep in mind that the 2 stroke sled runs much cooler water temps than 4 stroke cars, so if you go this route with an automotive gauge, get a low range gauge or it will only read on the gauge when you are overheating. And yes you will need a rectifier. You will need a Bridge Wave rectifier, most come up to about 600 V, about 1" square. They are about $3 at most electronics outlets, let me know if you need one, I have about 10 extras in my garage. They are a simple 2 wire input/output - take about 10 mins to install.

I picked up a autometer digital gauge a jbs power, the sender is a 1/8" Npt and roughly a half inch long so it should work ok. How do you install the rectifier? Positive and negative off the sled into the rectifier and positive and negative from the rectifier to what ever twelve volt accessory?

Last edited by a moderator:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a autometer digital gauge a jbs power, the sender is a 1/8" Npt and roughly a half inch long so it should work ok. How do you install the rectifier? Positive and negative off the sled into the rectifier and positive and negative from the rectifier to what ever twelve volt accessory?

Basically yes, but one pole on the rectifier will be the DC positive terminal that you have to connect correctly. Usually they are marked with very small marks on the side of the rectifier or on the top when you are looking at the terminals (must look very hard - not really easy to see) and also usually the terminals for the input/outputs are in the opposite corners - meaning that the AC inputs will be in opposite corners and the DC outputs will be the other 2 terminals (in the remaining corners).

I will get a pic for you when I go to the garage later.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics.
Pic 1 - view of rectifier - at the tip of my finger in the bottom left hand is the DC positive output terminal, it is typically the one that is different. It's marked on the corner on these rectifiers, but not all are, you can see the "+" sign on this one if you look close. The DC negative is the opposite corner top right and you can see the markings for the AC inputs on the top left and bottom right of the rectifier.

Pic 2 is installed on a sled. Just wire in and zip tie into the harness. Use a little dielectric grease to keep water out of the terminals also.

Attachments

• IMG_5339.jpg
    IMG_5339.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey the power plug in buy the tank-dash on a rev is 12v dc isn't it? cause thats where the tie in for a lighter plug in or visor plug is... thats where i was going to power my gauge from???

theseeker

Reaction score
hey the power plug in buy the tank-dash on a rev is 12v dc isn't it? cause thats where the tie in for a lighter plug in or visor plug is... thats where i was going to power my gauge from???

Ya I was begining to wonder about that also, anyone have an answer to this?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
t t t modman need to know before i install this gauge ect... is it 12v dc or ac at the acc plug?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
t t t modman need to know before i install this gauge ect... is it 12v dc or ac at the acc plug?

Sorry man, I don't know what voltage the plug outlet is. You could call a heated visor manufacturer and see or just test the plug output on the sled. If it's AC, just grab a rectifier, if it's DC, wire it directly.

Sorry I can't help ya more.

Top Bottom